Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 01:54 PM

313 posts, read 709,554 times

Advertisements

If you go to Savannah on a Sunday, make sure you hit the Lady and Sons restaurant for the lunch buffet, get there early and make a reservation... best fried chicken you will ever have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 02:12 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,338,201 times
Uncle Bubba's is run by the same people as Lady and Son's (it is Paula's Brother) the food is just as good and it is a little less packed since it is not so famous. That is also where Paula does alot of her cooking shows especially the ones that you see on a big wooden deck with the river in the background....

Old 04-28-2010, 07:04 PM

16,395 posts, read 30,307,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FWilgruber View Post
My wife and I will be taking the train from Phila. to either Charleston or Savannah, I understand the Charleston station is scary, is Savannah any better?
Would like some input on weather to stay in Charleston and visit Savannah or stay in Savannah and visit Charleston. Also, any suggestions about accommodations, must sees, and restaurants would be helpful.

Thanks,
Personally, I would stay in Charleston and skip Savannah and we spent three days on the past week in each city. There is just a whole lot more to see in Charleston than Savannah although both cities are worth a visit.

I was completely UNDERWHELMED by Lady and Sons, and I generally like a buffet.

We showed up before 10am and were asked to show up at 10:45am for an 11 am setting. We arrived on-time and waited over half an hour while the hostess seated two bus loads of people (who did not wait at all). Then they finally started screaming the names across the street.

By that time, the ONLY seats available were in the bar.

The buffet consisted of three entrees - fried chicken, baked chicken, baked spaghetti and five side dishes. The food was pretty good but 95% of the restaurants in any major southern city could put out the same menu and do it as well. The food was pretty cold for two reasons. First, the staff was heaping the food in the steam table pans which allows the food to get cold. The backup pans were sitting out for 10 to 15 MINUTES at room temperature prior to service.

My wife ordered off the menu. The tomato soup was excellent but the pimento cheese sandwich contained so much mayonnaise that she could not eat it.

Honestly, the food was acceptable but $13.99 for THAT menu is overpriced. And where is any creativity or skill?

We had much better food at Justine's in Charleston and Gullah Cuisine in Mt Pleasant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area