Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2010, 12:24 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,794,627 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be in Charleston for about a week and we're looking for things to see and do there. We're staying in the Homewood Suites in Mt Pleasant FWIW. So far on the list we have:

the beach
Ft Sumter / Ft Moultrie
Downtown
Charleston Aquarium
Drive to Savannah for a day

The trip is also for the purpose of checking the area out because we would like to move there soon, so we also plan to spend a little time driving around the Mt Pleasant, Summerville and Goose Creek areas just to have a look.

Any other ideas for places to go or places that are good to eat? We've been looking forward to the trip for months - can't wait to get there! Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 06:59 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
Go to Bowen's Island for the best local oysters.....

Old 05-07-2010, 08:53 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,431,520 times
If your going to be here on the 16th check out the Seafood festival/Blessing of the Fleet at Memorial Waterfront park in Mount Pleasant. It's near your hotel and the views of the bridge are great from the new pier. Visit the Park anyway if you don't go for the festival. Also Boone Hall Plantation would be a nice outing.

Also check out Shem Creek restaurants for dinner one night. Reds is a great place to relax and have a drink. Other suggestions for restaurants in Mount Pleasant: Bamboo, Mustard Seed, Langdons, BLVD dinner, King Street Grille, Melvins (fast food BBQ)
Downtown: Cypress, Carolinas, Basil, Hominy Grill, Justenes Kitchen

Yum I am hungry.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:42 PM

Cool, thanks for the advice! Since we're hoping to move there before long I'm really hoping that the wife likes the area - I'm pretty sure she will since she's been looking forward to the trip for so long.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:05 PM

4 posts, read 5,583 times
Charleston Scuba is the best dive shop in the area.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:12 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times
You're close to the Morgan Creek Grill on Isle of Palms (Wild Dunes Marina). It's worth having a drink on their rooftop bar to watch the sunset on a nice day. It sets over the marsh and waterway. You can rent various equipment like kayaks etc. at that marina and then come back and enjoy the sunset. I will caution you to be careful because that area has a lot of boat traffic.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:05 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,877,337 times
I would like to second Hominy Grill, they have a wonderful brunch on the weekends, I highly recommend the French Toast (it's to die for)! There is usually a wait, but not usually more than 20-30 min. Also, Slightly North Of Broad (SNOB) is a wonderful place for lunch/dinner (lunch is more reasonably priced and less dressy). Jestine's Kitchen has a dessert called Coca Cola Cake, it's a must have! We got ours to go and ate it in bed back at the hotel!

Have a wonderful time in Charleston, I am pretty sure your wife is going to love it!

Old 05-16-2010, 08:06 AM

We'll have to check out both of those places... it was an adventure getting here because of all the cancelled flights at San Antonio and Houston, but we are here now and off to go see someone the wife grew up with over in Aiken, and hopefully Ft Sumter and Moultrie this afternoon!

We drove around Summerville yesterday evening and went to a pizza place called Famulari's. Liked the neighborhoods we drove through while getting lost on the way there with the big houses and nice yards. Street signs can be a bit small though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area