Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 03:47 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,044,199 times

Advertisements

oh I don't remember going through security gates to get to the public beach. I just found it to be so pretty, not crowded and well worth the drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 04:24 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,338,201 times
The park beach is before the security gates on the right....

Old 05-24-2010, 05:54 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,768,733 times
That's right - you turn right before the security gates, at the store/gas station. Kiawah is much closer to Charleston than Edisto or Pawleys too.

I love Edisto Island too, though! It's more like the "old school" beach communities....older beach cottages and slow, small beach town way of life.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:02 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,467,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
The park beach is before the security gates on the right....
Yes, but the gate was closed. So I asked at the security gate since I had shlepped all the way there and didn't want to have to turn around and drive back without seeing SOMETHING.

You do have to go thru the security gates to get to the Sanctuary--even if you are just stopping by for lunch.

I'm not saying the beach isn't nice. It is nice. I just don't understand why a public beach isn't open year round.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:05 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,338,201 times
That I don't know, not sure why it was closed....

Old 05-25-2010, 09:24 AM

33 posts, read 126,865 times
Good Morning......thanks for all of the info. We ended up going to IOP and had a great time. My teenage girls loved the water (much warmer then Ocean City is right now) and enjoyed watching the 5 or 6 teenage boys who planted themselves right in front of us with their skim boards. I'm sure we will try out all of the beaches mentioned here after the "BIG" move!!!

Old 05-26-2010, 05:33 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,879,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swc3365 View Post
Good Morning......thanks for all of the info. We ended up going to IOP and had a great time. My teenage girls loved the water (much warmer then Ocean City is right now) and enjoyed watching the 5 or 6 teenage boys who planted themselves right in front of us with their skim boards. I'm sure we will try out all of the beaches mentioned here after the "BIG" move!!!
So glad you enjoyed yourselves!!! Also, thanks for posting updates, it's nice to hear back, usually people post and you never get to hear the results

Old 05-27-2010, 01:48 PM

34 posts, read 113,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I didn't see any glitz at the public beach at Kiawah -- just saw me some sand, ocean and sun.
I agree - it's about as low key and relaxing as you can get! It is a beautiful, natural island with miles of wide, relatively empty beach!

Old 05-27-2010, 01:50 PM

34 posts, read 113,091 times
Glad you enjoyed IOP! I don't think you can wrong with any of the beaches suggested!

Old 05-29-2010, 03:05 PM

6 posts, read 15,901 times
I was there a few weeks ago and LOVED Isle Of Palms and Folly was nice.
i visited the outskirts of another and I wish I had gotten the name it was made up of a lot of well MONEY and i was in getting gas on my way back to Summerville from Isle Of Palms and one of the guys who Live there was RUDE beyond compare and in no uncertain terms left me know he wish all us visiting would go back where we came from YES his exact words.

So stear past the lil town with the golfing and the giuuys riding in the gold carts They are LESS then friendly.

That said I met Fabulous folks at Isle Of Palms Everyone was helpful and friendly i went to the shops around the beach and met really wonderful folks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area