Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 10:22 AM

272 posts, read 909,498 times

Advertisements

Our water bills are a MINIMUM charge of $62.15 per month and usage charged after that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 06:27 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,467,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
The late fee for not paying your property taxes on time is $75.00..
I stand corrected. Thank-you.

Not sure if it has been mentioned but SCE&G gets you coming and going too! Better not be more than a few days late paying your electric and gas or they not only turn off your utilities without warning but to turn them back on your have to of course pay your bill PLUS $150. Each time this happens you have to do this. (You'd think the $150 would be a security deposit that they'd use in case you were ever lat again paying your bill but NOOOOOOOO! This happens each and every time this happens. If you are a few days late once a year over 4 years, SCE&G would be using $600 of YOUR money. You don't get your money back until you close your account.)

With that kind of policy, which is highway robbery, they REALLY have a nerve to expect rate increases. What a RIP-OFF. How did a policy like that get passed? What SCE&G lobbyist paid off which Charleston officials to get that approved?

In Rhode Island they aren't even allowed to turn off the utilities if it is cold or still could get chilly at night. I certainly miss kinder gentler utility companies in New England----and property tax payment policies which are also a lot more reasonable.

Last edited by emilybh; 05-23-2010 at 06:36 PM..

Old 05-23-2010, 06:38 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,467,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
No not on everything in your house, just vehicles and real estate....

Renewal is every other year, and I think it is $12 in addition to the property taxes...
I'm sure you must have to pay property taxes on boats over a certain size as well as licensing fees.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:45 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,035,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jll613 View Post
Our water is the is the biggest problem in that if you happen to be late and there is a 10$ late free and if they turn it off it is a 25$ service fee. But are water bill on the ave is around 35 -40 a month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
LOL! I know what you mean. Dn't forget if you don't pay your property tax for your car on-time the penalty is something like an additional 25% of the total owed if you pay during the first week it is late and 50% of the total if you pay within 2 weeks after it is due.

THEY GET AWAY WITH HIGHWAY ROBBERY DOWN HERE!

Now you've got me started.......

What about your water bill? My water and sewer bill is half again as much as it was in New England. Not only that but if you are 5 days late paying your bill, nearly a 15% late fee gets slapped on. IN ADDITION the CITY OF CHARLESTON takes the liberty(according to the lady I spoke with at the company) to tack on a $5 late fee on a $5.25 cent stormwater drainage charge I get charged every month.
Then pay your damn bills on time and there wont be a fee. Simple, isnt it? They give you a date to pay, and by that date you make sure its paid. Not rocket science.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:24 PM

10 posts, read 24,778 times
I know that there is pro and cons to where you live so I know that it is not going to be all roses in Charleston. I am just wondering if the cost of living would be less.

I am Just going to have to compare everything and see how much cheaper Charleston is, if it is at all.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:46 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,684,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Then pay your damn bills on time and there wont be a fee. Simple, isnt it? They give you a date to pay, and by that date you make sure its paid. Not rocket science.

Totally agree!!

Old 05-23-2010, 09:16 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,035,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvsdabeach View Post
Totally agree!!
Thanks. People complain about late fees that they KNEW about when they first began paying the bill, then complain when the company actually goes through with it.

A movie rental place charges you a late fee..whats the difference? Late fees on bills is nothing to judge moving to an area on. It just says the person complaining doesnt take care of their business on time.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:32 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,338,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
I'm sure you must have to pay property taxes on boats over a certain size as well as licensing fees.
Yes but boats and motor homes and all of that are luxury items, not necessities....

IAW, you don't have to have a boat but most of the time you do have to have a vehicle....

Old 05-27-2010, 02:17 PM

10 posts, read 24,778 times
What is the job market like (other than medical).

Old 05-27-2010, 04:08 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,338,201 times
11% unemployment......

Not to great....

Has been on the decrease over the last few months though so that is a good thing...

At least we aren't Michigan....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area