Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 07:36 PM

6,074 posts, read 9,098,885 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to say that Cabela's is coming along very fast. The outside itself is almost completely finished, with signs up aswell. It makes the Wheeling store look like a dump, its so nice! And I like the Wheeling store! This building is beautiful, and it will attract alot more stores and restaurnats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 07:53 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,873,540 times
I hear they awesome rifle prices.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:22 PM

180 posts, read 352,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
This building is beautiful, and it will attract alot more stores and restaurnats.
I hate those restaurnats. I cant understand why you would want more of them around. lmao!!!

Old 05-31-2012, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyconn View Post
I hate those restaurnats. I cant understand why you would want more of them around. lmao!!!
sorry, but more restaurants/stores means more tax revenue and high quality of life. And most Americans do like them, thats why they have gotten so big.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:07 AM

Quote:
sorry, but more restaurants/stores means more tax revenue and high quality of life. And most Americans do like them, thats why they have gotten so big.
Yes, olive gardens really enhance quality of life.

Being serious now. They hurt the economy by putting local resturants out of business and the money flows out of state. That is why things like walmart and mcdonalds hurt the economy.

They also greatly increase obesity which cost the state and the federal govt billions.

Im not bashing the chains but the belief they help the local economy is BS. They help the owners, upper management, and big investors at tbe expense of everyone else.

Y

Old 05-31-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Yes, olive gardens really enhance quality of life.

Being serious now. They hurt the economy by putting local resturants out of business and the money flows out of state. That is why things like walmart and mcdonalds hurt the economy.

They also greatly increase obesity which cost the state and the federal govt billions.

Im not bashing the chains but the belief they help the local economy is BS. They help the owners, upper management, and big investors at tbe expense of everyone else.

Y
they also bring tax revenue, more people into towns, and a better diversity of shopping and dining that locally owned often can't provide. I'm also for small business, but chains are not they enemy.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
they also bring tax revenue, more people into towns, and a better diversity of shopping and dining that locally owned often can't provide. I'm also for small business, but chains are not they enemy.
They kill towns and cause a net loss. How many great wv towns are dead because of outdoor malls? Im telling you chris they are not good for charleston or any town/city. They kill the local atmosphere and replace it with generic subarbia. They will ultimatly hurt the local economy.

Earlier you had a thread about reviving charleston. Keep it pure and people will want to go there. Dont let chains kill off downtown and turn it into anytown usa #xxx.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
They kill towns and cause a net loss. How many great wv towns are dead because of outdoor malls? Im telling you chris they are not good for charleston or any town/city. They kill the local atmosphere and replace it with generic subarbia. They will ultimatly hurt the local economy.

Earlier you had a thread about reviving charleston. Keep it pure and people will want to go there. Dont let chains kill off downtown and turn it into anytown usa #xxx.
I am not anti locally owned. In fact, I would encourage one to buy, eat, shop local. But chains are apart of everyday life too, and help attract new people to a town. Most towns in WV that don't have them are dead, and the ones that do are doing well. Charleston already has chains, and locally owned business thrive with and beside them.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
I am not anti locally owned. In fact, I would encourage one to buy, eat, shop local. But chains are apart of everyday life too, and help attract new people to a town. Most towns in WV that don't have them are dead, and the ones that do are doing well. Charleston already has chains, and locally owned business thrive with and beside them.
Chris the towns arent dead because people decided they couldnt live without walmart and olive garden and moved. Rather they where towns where the local economy collapsed, not in anyway related to franchises.

In fact usually the opposite occurs. A walmart and chain resturants will open on a highway exit outside of a town/city and it kills the downtown area. Charleston is actually a victim of this, but since the capital is located there it has a life preserver to keep it afloat. Cities like Fairmont and Wheeling are great examples of these chains making downtown into a ghosttown.

Also who moves into a town/city to be around a certain chain? I mean in this forum I can believe it since half the posters have a strange fascination with generic restaurants. I guess coming from WV, and not having lived anywhere else, they think they are cool. Trust me Chris Ive lived in quite a few cities and people would just roll their eyes when they say how excited people get over 5 guys. Anyway Ive never heard of franchises being a factor in a decision to relocate somewhere.

Actually I take it back. I know people who move to places like WV, Montana, New Mexico, etc, to escape franchises.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:03 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,040,332 times
Quote:
Just wanted to say that Cabela's is coming along very fast. The outside itself is almost completely finished, with signs up aswell. It makes the Wheeling store look like a dump, its so nice! And I like the Wheeling store! This building is beautiful, and it will attract alot more stores and restaurnats.
Please. "makes the Wheeling store look like a dump"? Get Real. The Wheeling store is twice that size, but it will do the things you said it will do and a whole lot more. It will dominate the sporting goods business in that region, and in neighboring regions. They will get customers from Beckley, Huntington, and everything east of there for 100 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston