Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2012, 05:48 PM

3 posts, read 4,966 times

Advertisements

Nothing is definite yet, but it looks like I may be assigned to Beckley, WV. I really need some help here. I have read on numerous sites, that Beckley is a bad place to live. Specifically, that the city is racially diverse and has racial tension. Further, I have read that there is widespread poverty and crime. Like anything else, it is really hard to evaluate the accuracy of all of this unless you talk to someone who lives there. Can someone please fill me in on the real story with this place? If it is a problem, can you recommend any other towns that I can relocate to? If there are good areas of Beckley, where are they and where should I avoid? I have a 16 year old daughter who means everything to me. As such, I need to put her in a great school system, and must be relatively close to a 4 yr college. I am contemplating the Princeton or Athens area to the south of Beckley. I'm open to suggestions as moving to an unknown area is one of the hardest things to do. Thanks in advance for your response!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 09:45 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,491,738 times
Its really not bad.

It is diverse, but there really isn't much tension, and if there is, the aggressor usually isn't from the town. Like the rest of WV, there is a bit of a poverty issue, but you are going to run into that everywhere you go, there are also some very nice parts to the town as well. Crime isn't too bad, just a bit more than whats in some of the small hamlets some of the people on here seem to be from.

Depending on income, you might want to check out Woodcrest (near the High School, nice, a bit pricier) or Maxwell Hill (nice, but a bit cheaper than Woodcrest). Also, if you want an older neighborhood, Woodlawn/ Granville is fairly nice as well and near the better of the two middle schools, however its near East Beckley, which is the poorer part of town. There is also Glade Springs (expensive, country club development) and Shady Springs/ Daniels located outside of the town. However, if you're working in town, the commute can be a pain, not because of distance, just overcrowding on the roads. This area is also less diverse than Beckley.

The local HS for Beckley, Woodrow Wilson, is large (~1400) and has AP, but not IB, also has foreign languages up to 4.

Shady Spring & Glade Springs go to Shady Springs HS (~900), which is probably the second best HS in the county, they offer many classes, but not as many as Woodrow.

For College, Concord University is located 30 mins south in Athens, WV, also there is UC- Beckley, which used to be Mountain State University. There is also a Higher Ed center near the airport, which offers classes from different colleges around the state. The local community college is New River Community & Tech.

Princeton has all of the same issues that Beckley has and Athens is kind of in the middle of nowhere, except for the college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston