Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2014, 05:45 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,151,624 times

Advertisements

The Charleston Gazette | Alliance taking inventory of downtown businesses, parking

While I think this is a good idea, the quote from Susie Salisbury regarding parking and that Lee and Washington Streets don't need 3 lanes for traffic is ignorant. Lee and Washington Streets are under the direction of the State because they are the east and west routes for Rt. 60. Any changes to that traffic pattern has to go through the State and possibly the Feds and not the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 06:34 AM

6,079 posts, read 9,110,796 times
I'm pro more street parking, but you're right in that its not something you can just change at the city level for those particular streets. I think both would be good candidates though, especially Lee Street. I hope the inventory includes a list of downtown housing.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:57 PM

That would be a good addition to the inventory.

As for parking, I understand everyone wants to park on the street, in front of the business they want to visit, but in reality that doesn't happen. The City has many parking garages in the downtown area. I think its more of a case that people just don't want to walk the extra distance. If that is true, its sad.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:49 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,422,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
That would be a good addition to the inventory.

As for parking, I understand everyone wants to park on the street, in front of the business they want to visit, but in reality that doesn't happen. The City has many parking garages in the downtown area. I think its more of a case that people just don't want to walk the extra distance. If that is true, its sad.
I wholeheartedly agree. Selfishly, I'd love to see bike lanes/cycle tracks, though that's happening on the Boulevard, slowly.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:14 AM

Between the Elk River to Leon Sullivan Way, and the Kanawha River to the Interstate, I believe there are around 16 parking garages. If you include the surface parking lots, I believe there is plenty of parking in downtown Charleston.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:38 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,422,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
Between the Elk River to Leon Sullivan Way, and the Kanawha River to the Interstate, I believe there are around 16 parking garages. If you include the surface parking lots, I believe there is plenty of parking in downtown Charleston.
Counting the hospital and everything, I came to 19. Regardless, there's a huge amount of parking. It just isn't being managed in the most efficient manner.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:24 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
It seems to me that it is often more expensive to park in a building as compared to using a meter space on the street. Spiro's lots are fairly expensive too.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:08 AM

6,079 posts, read 9,110,796 times
I am pro street parking on Lee Street, but redesigned sidewalks and trees have to be part of the equation. I know that Lee St. is probably the least attractive street between the Town Center and Capitol Street (only a few blocks), so adding some parking/street-scaping would enhance the atmosphere.

We have parking garages in abundance, so maybe adding some more street level parking along with the garages will detour parking lots. Which then can be developed into offices, apartments, etc... I think we have way too many parking lots in downtown.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:14 AM

It depends on how long you will be parking at the meter. I believe in downtown Charleston, it cost .25 cents for 30 minutes. So if you park all day, the amount to pay for a meter vs a parking garage is around the same in some cases.

I just don't see the State open to the idea of narrowing the traffic lanes on Lee and/or Washington St. One thing to also remember about those two streets is that many of the tractor trailers that come into downtown to make deliveries need those streets to be wider so they can maneuver and to also let traffic flow around them. If you narrow those lanes down, it will snarl traffic even more than it already is and that will hurt the downtown businesses.

I am all for the city making the sidewalks more attractive in the downtown areas, with more trees and decorative pieces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
View detailed profiles of: