Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2018, 09:31 PM

778 posts, read 795,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
I think if you go back and reread my comments (which was a lot to wade through!), you'll see I generally agree with you here, especially folks not knowing where to park, the dead lots, and the lack of activity at the CTC outside 9-5.

Yeah, I think we simply have different views, which match those with people we know (e.g. my friends all tend to agree with me). There's not going to be one solution to placate everyone, though I think mine would work (and you, yours!).

No offense/issue taken! I agree! I actually work in Cross Lanes, so most of my experience with Charleston is the occasional lunch, and hanging around some evenings or weekends instead of 9-5. But it's not an everyday affair, as I live in Huntington. I enjoy going to Charleston when I can, but you're right in me not having the immediate perspective of a resident. I do happen to love the city, though (even if it annoys me to no end at times), and parking/transportation/urban form are also passions of mine.

Why don't you run for mayor, I think I would like to see your ideas in action. They are a far improvement over the tepid leadership we have had for decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 07:59 AM

583 posts, read 593,911 times
Charleston is a ship with no captain or sails. But I can’t say I’m seeing any candidates that really stand out right now with anything really fresh or outside of the box to offer.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
Charleston is a ship with no captain or sails. But I can’t say I’m seeing any candidates that really stand out right now with anything really fresh or outside of the box to offer.

As much as I love West Virginia I am not impressed by West Virginians when it comes to running a business or displaying a depth of intellect. The only West Virginias I ever have - to my knowledge - an intellectual conversation with are those that have spent a considerable time in the adult years outside the state. Those that have never really left have backward, provincial minds lacking anything like modern creativity.

There was a time when I toyed with political aspirations but I realized I hate deception and liars. But, because there is a game to play in politics if you want to grab the gold ring, being to avoid being tarnished along the way is virtually impossible. So, I looked at it and hung up the idea. I would fire everyone on the payroll and being tarred and feathered before the final victory vote was counted. Charleston needs people willing to be smeared with excrement to get the job done and I like myself too much to be stained that way.

Old 03-22-2018, 01:41 PM

6,077 posts, read 9,107,153 times
This is exciting, and would be a perfect location for such a business

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/busine...fc250366f.html

Old 03-29-2018, 11:03 AM

652 posts, read 750,019 times
That's the kind of business that will bring people downtown. It would also have been a good fit for Elk City, which I think needs a nice cafe and a microbrewery to come in.

Old 03-29-2018, 11:08 AM

6,077 posts, read 9,107,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rethcir View Post
That's the kind of business that will bring people downtown. It would also have been a good fit for Elk City, which I think needs a nice cafe and a microbrewery to come in.
I have been saying Elk City needs a brewery for a while now. I think it could really complete and complement the existing restaurants and businesses in that part of the city.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:33 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
As much as I love West Virginia I am not impressed by West Virginians when it comes to running a business or displaying a depth of intellect. The only West Virginias I ever have - to my knowledge - an intellectual conversation with are those that have spent a considerable time in the adult years outside the state. Those that have never really left have backward, provincial minds lacking anything like modern creativity.

There was a time when I toyed with political aspirations but I realized I hate deception and liars. But, because there is a game to play in politics if you want to grab the gold ring, being to avoid being tarnished along the way is virtually impossible. So, I looked at it and hung up the idea. I would fire everyone on the payroll and being tarred and feathered before the final victory vote was counted. Charleston needs people willing to be smeared with excrement to get the job done and I like myself too much to be stained that way.
Wow. Maybe you've been hanging out in the wrong parts of West Virginia? If you haven't found anybody in a state of 1.8 million people with whom you feel you could have had an intellectual conversation, did it ever occur to you that maybe it wasn't the other peoples' fault?

Old 03-30-2018, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Wow. Maybe you've been hanging out in the wrong parts of West Virginia? If you haven't found anybody in a state of 1.8 million people with whom you feel you could have had an intellectual conversation, did it ever occur to you that maybe it wasn't the other peoples' fault?

Obviously I have never met and will never meet all 1.8 million people that call West Virginia home. But, I do not need to, to draw a conclusion. A conclusion I might add that I have found supported by everyone I know in a similar situation. A conclusion I might add that is supported by any traveler across this country that has made a stop over or visit to the Mountain State. When you get those folks into a private conversation that go on and on about the beauty of the state and the wonders to be had, but if you can guide them to discuss the people, they will first go over the compliments; they are friendly to the extent it borders on being nosey, they are extroverted in meeting strangers and they love to talk about any subject...but...in time...if the conversation goes on long enough...you will get to the comment that West Virginians are not sophisticated in any fashion. You will find that they have these opinions, not based on social status or wealth or even education, which would seem to be counter to the topic, but about all West Virginians in general. Then it will occur to them, that not every West Virginian falls into that broad definition and then the truth will be revealed. Those that have traveled stand apart from those that have not.

West Virginia is an echo chamber of reinforced cultural qualities. It loops in on itself and if one does not travel outside of the state on a regular basis and for a consistent amount of time, one becomes a product of that provincial fabrication. One beings to talk, dress, act and think like those on the simpler side of the complexities in life.

You have gone from being a great contributor to this community to a really sour individual. What happened to you? I used to enjoy my conversations with you and discussing various topics but as soon as I made it clear that Morgantown and northern West Virginia was not all that, you fell to pieces. Having pride is a great thing and I understand that but having no sense in the process is a disorder.

Old 03-30-2018, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I have been saying Elk City needs a brewery for a while now. I think it could really complete and complement the existing restaurants and businesses in that part of the city.

In most of the cities I have been that have ventured into the microbreweries they have drawn a pretty sharp distinction between them all.

Micro-Breweries produce less then 1500 gallons of any batch; are located in industrial designated areas and can only sell their own product, even if they have a restaurant but can sell kegs, cases and bottles to others.

Brewpubs produce less than 300 gallons per batch are usually located near restaurants because they are not zoned industrial. Most have their own food sales but while they can sell any label, unlike a micro-brewery, they cannot sell anything but single serve sizes to their patrons.

There is a third category called a taproom but the definitions for those is murky from city to the next. Generally they are drinking-only establishments that host 50 or more labels, where various beers are compared and purchased.

Elk City is not an industrial zone so that would exclude a micro-brewery unless the city amended the traditional zoning rules. A brewpub might go in but as they want to be close to other restaurants they typically come in after a dinging scene is already established. You might, however, get a taproom.

But, that begs the question, does the Westside really need a business that does nothing but push beer? A taproom a neat thing to see in a well-established neighborhood but Elk City is still kind of early in its gestation. I would think we need some further development of the basics before we add the flourishes to the district. While it is an eclectic neighborhood and it might work, I just think it is too soon.

Old 03-30-2018, 04:36 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
Obviously I have never met and will never meet all 1.8 million people that call West Virginia home. But, I do not need to, to draw a conclusion. A conclusion I might add that I have found supported by everyone I know in a similar situation. A conclusion I might add that is supported by any traveler across this country that has made a stop over or visit to the Mountain State. When you get those folks into a private conversation that go on and on about the beauty of the state and the wonders to be had, but if you can guide them to discuss the people, they will first go over the compliments; they are friendly to the extent it borders on being nosey, they are extroverted in meeting strangers and they love to talk about any subject...but...in time...if the conversation goes on long enough...you will get to the comment that West Virginians are not sophisticated in any fashion. You will find that they have these opinions, not based on social status or wealth or even education, which would seem to be counter to the topic, but about all West Virginians in general. Then it will occur to them, that not every West Virginian falls into that broad definition and then the truth will be revealed. Those that have traveled stand apart from those that have not.

West Virginia is an echo chamber of reinforced cultural qualities. It loops in on itself and if one does not travel outside of the state on a regular basis and for a consistent amount of time, one becomes a product of that provincial fabrication. One beings to talk, dress, act and think like those on the simpler side of the complexities in life.

You have gone from being a great contributor to this community to a really sour individual. What happened to you? I used to enjoy my conversations with you and discussing various topics but as soon as I made it clear that Morgantown and northern West Virginia was not all that, you fell to pieces. Having pride is a great thing and I understand that but having no sense in the process is a disorder.
I think that is about as biased, stereotyped sort of statement as I've ever seen. There is absolutely nothing erudite about anything you have written there. It is the epitome of unintellectual. You can take your negative attitude about West Virginians and put them you know where. That is outright disgusting. I know plenty of ordinary West Virginians who would easily surpass your incredibly untrue negative characterization or our state's people. It literally smacks of low country pompadour ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston