Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 08:35 PM

6,068 posts, read 9,091,285 times

Advertisements

Looks like Little Creek Village is starting to gain momentum as they have created a webpage and site renderings. The property rendering features multiple strips (4) with up to 17 open small stores, two fast food places, and a larger 28,000 sq ft. anchor store. The site plan is making me excited because it looks like a lot of potential for new types of store. I like the renderings of what the architecture might be like. It will be unique to the area, but not clashing with the other development.

I'm thinking about what kinds of stores might consider that larger space. The two fast food joints are interesting as well because I have no idea what they would be. Maybe a Starbucks or Dunkin would take one of them, and a Popeye's or Panda Express in the other.

Littlecreekvillage

*Edit: I just read that the anchor might have originally been a grocery store. That is interesting considering ALDI moving in across the street along with Walmart already there and a Kroger just down the highway at Ashton Place. That would lead me to contemplate possibly a Whole Foods???

Last edited by Chriscross309; 01-21-2017 at 08:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 01:02 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,139 times
Seventeen new stores might be a little ambitious given the area and the stores already in the adjacent shopping centers. I don't think any of us want to see another mattress store, The Shoe Department or GameStop location in the area.

Instead I think a better approach would be to find one larger anchor tenant, something like Whole Foods, and then find 6 or 7 brands not in the area. A mix of stores like Apple, Fossil, Banana Republic, Ann Taylor, Aldo, Brookstone and J. Crew.

Old 01-22-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
Seventeen new stores might be a little ambitious given the area and the stores already in the adjacent shopping centers. I don't think any of us want to see another mattress store, The Shoe Department or GameStop location in the area.

Instead I think a better approach would be to find one larger anchor tenant, something like Whole Foods, and then find 6 or 7 brands not in the area. A mix of stores like Apple, Fossil, Banana Republic, Ann Taylor, Aldo, Brookstone and J. Crew.
I would imagine that the format of the structures will change over time. I can almost guarantee that a Sheetz will be squeezed in there somewhere. I highly doubt an Apple Store or Banana Republic would consider a location out there, but if a Whole Foods were to be one of the tenants, then I would imagine some more upscale retail would accompany it. More "lifestyle" type businesses.

I totally agree that in order for this development to be considered a success, they cannot allow more of the same.

Old 01-22-2017, 01:49 PM

16,661 posts, read 15,654,903 times
I think this would make the traffic around that intersection absolutely awful. If they can't build a back way out of those shopping centers, they shouldn't build any more stores. I rarely go to the Southridge area, and traffic is the main reason I stay away.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I think this would make the traffic around that intersection absolutely awful. If they can't build a back way out of those shopping centers, they shouldn't build any more stores. I rarely go to the Southridge area, and traffic is the main reason I stay away.
The proposal for this shopping center is for traffic leaving the shopping center to only be allowed to turn right heading south. The plans call for a new stop light at the Moses Outlet intersection. If cars are wanting to head north on 119 there is an exit to that intersection on the bottom half of the property. I don't think that this plan will cause to much of a further burden on traffic. In fact, it might help with the addition of a new light.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:43 AM

583 posts, read 592,489 times
Default Inconvenience Or Jobs and Growth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
So for your inconvenience the rest of us should suffer the lack of new development and growth? You already say you rarely go there so why do you care? The area needs growth and people need jobs. Everybody has a choice. You don't want to go then do as you say and don't. The rest of the people who do will be fine. So called "traffic" here is a joke for them most part anyway. The mentality of this state is killing it over and over.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:32 PM

39 posts, read 38,651 times
Traffic impact is an entirely legitimate concern to bring up. People are less likely to go somewhere that's a pain to get to, in, and out of. Even if we assume all that traffic is benefiting a given store, there's no reason a store should not want to ease the burden and attract still more people, and the impact is not positive in every scenario. One retailer could find itself losing out because their own customer base doesn't want to fight its way through the crowds from next door. Bad design can make an effect like that much worse. Besides, bottlenecking the traffic or unnecessarily crowding drivers can make unsafe situations. I think that the traffic is legitimately bad up there already, and I don't think after it starts looking like Tokyo is the time to start worrying about it.
I hope that people who don't go to a given place for a certain reason will continue to speak up. That kind of information can really inform the discussion.

On a different note, would Whole Paycheck be able to find and establish a customer base here? What does it offer that people will go in and buy?

Old 01-25-2017, 04:50 AM

583 posts, read 592,489 times
So again for your inconvenience and personal bias, which you let show through in that last sentence you would condemn an area sorely lacking growth and development from being able to experience that growth? The selfish defeatest mentality in this part of the state explains a lot of why we find ourselves in the mess we are in. Thankfully the northern part of the state doesn't think this way. Hopefully they can pull the rest of us whining, kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:43 AM

The only time I ever have qualms over traffic is the Holidays. You might as well rent a hotel room up there and walk from shopping plaza to shopping plaza to do your Christmas shopping up there. Trace Fork is particularly bad, with one exit out of the entire place. The rest of the year Southridge is fine. I'm up there often (in fact just an hour ago) and traffic is no worse there than any other successful retail district. It is a corridor of potential, and I don't foresee a slow down of development anytime soon. The key will be making sure the modifications to the current intersections don't jam traffic up too much into the existing developments.

Something that will help tremendously will be the expansion of Jefferson Rd.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:12 PM

146 posts, read 166,171 times
My job had lead me to live in several major American cities these last 30 years. Believe me. Believe me........Charleston has no traffic in any way shape or form. When I am home, I marvel at getting across town in 10 minutes. This defeatist attitude is unbelievable. Many people can afford to shop at Whole Foods in Charleston but there is no reason for Whole Foods to fight a backwards society that thinks having to sit behind 3 cars to turn into a parking lot is a NIGHTMARE. There are literally thousands of communities who would kill to have a Whole Foods. But that's OK people.......keep on shopping at your neighborhood IGA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston