Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2022, 07:41 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,881,181 times

Advertisements

Due to health issues, I was unable to attend this year but I enjoyed it last year. We watched it on TV and I am anxious to see the game Tuesday night.

Best Virginia's lockdown-defense was awesome in yesterday's game.

Being a weekday night, I don't know how full the coliseum will be but I bet it will be as good an attendance as any in the other regions. Plus, it will be LOUD!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2022, 09:15 AM

16,665 posts, read 15,660,325 times
They don't have the top sections of the coliseum open for this tournament. My guess is that the lower sections were ~80% full on Sunday. I would expect the lower sections to be pretty well filled up Tuesday.

When they played the Capitol Classic, the place was very nearly sold out every year. That was ~12,000 tickets.

Old 07-27-2022, 03:31 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times
Best Virginia advances past Herd That to the regional championship round. They’ll play the Bucketeers (East Tenn Alumni).

https://wvmetronews.com/2022/07/26/b...ver-herd-that/

Old 07-27-2022, 10:13 AM

Attendance was 4547 and was the second highest of all TBT games this year and fifth highest since the tournament started. I believe this is year nine but may only be eight.

Old 07-27-2022, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
Attendance was 4547 and was the second highest of all TBT games this year and fifth highest since the tournament started. I believe this is year nine but may only be eight.
That's great, but I'm really surprised it wasn't higher. You'd think that there wouldn't be an empty seat in that place for how cheap the tickets were and who was involved. I would have definitely been there if I could.

Old 07-27-2022, 12:15 PM

16,665 posts, read 15,660,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
That's great, but I'm really surprised it wasn't higher. You'd think that there wouldn't be an empty seat in that place for how cheap the tickets were and who was involved. I would have definitely been there if I could.
This wasn't a game between WVU and Marshall. It was a game between two teams that happen to have a few members who are alumni from those two schools. Other than WVU, nobody acted like their school was playing the game. We saw teams consisting of alumni from Eastern Tennessee, Auburn, and James Madison. Sure, there were some fans there. There were a lot of fans there Tuesday evening. WVU was the only school that had a band and a mascot at the TBT games in Charleston. The only thing missing was Bob Huggins.

Old 07-27-2022, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
This wasn't a game between WVU and Marshall. It was a game between two teams that happen to have a few members who are alumni from those two schools. Other than WVU, nobody acted like their school was playing the game. We saw teams consisting of alumni from Eastern Tennessee, Auburn, and James Madison. Sure, there were some fans there. There were a lot of fans there Tuesday evening. WVU was the only school that had a band and a mascot at the TBT games in Charleston. The only thing missing was Bob Huggins.
My thought was that the Best Virginia team was filled with some of the better known former WVU players. WVU fans should have jumped on that opportunity to see these players again IMO. I went last year, and it was really interesting watching how these players games have developed since they left Morgantown. I would assume that Marshall fans would desire the same thing. less than 5k is not really a lot considering the fact that both teams playing were WV based. Best Virginia alone had players who were during some of the golden ear of WVU basketball.

Old 07-27-2022, 06:58 PM

Best Virginia wins the regional, and is heading to Dayton thanks to a KJ game winner!!!

Old 07-28-2022, 06:59 AM

Our 11th grade granddaughter saw her first "Elam Ending". When her dad explained it to her she thought it was dumb. She changed her mind with that exciting finish. LOL

I do like the Elam Ending because the game doesn't become a foul shooting contest alone plus the one shot and the ball back on fouls forces defenses to actually try to plaly defense.

I would have loved to have been there but I am still recovering from surgery. I was hoping for better the 4500+ as well but it is summer time and I bet there are many people who had no idea it was happening.

Neverless, I will say I think Charleston just locked up another regional site for 2023 and that is good for the city.

If only someone with ingenuity and money could save that mall. It broke my heart when I down there during the boys' basketball tournament. Those 16 foot tall sheets of drywall just depress the heck out of a bad situation.

Old 07-28-2022, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
Our 11th grade granddaughter saw her first "Elam Ending". When her dad explained it to her she thought it was dumb. She changed her mind with that exciting finish. LOL

I do like the Elam Ending because the game doesn't become a foul shooting contest alone plus the one shot and the ball back on fouls forces defenses to actually try to plaly defense.

I would have loved to have been there but I am still recovering from surgery. I was hoping for better the 4500+ as well but it is summer time and I bet there are many people who had no idea it was happening.

Neverless, I will say I think Charleston just locked up another regional site for 2023 and that is good for the city.

If only someone with ingenuity and money could save that mall. It broke my heart when I down there during the boys' basketball tournament. Those 16 foot tall sheets of drywall just depress the heck out of a bad situation.
It's a crying shame! The CTC needs to have either a continual stream of tourist from across the street and other events in the city, or they need to find some entertainment options to lure in the locals in. Right now it's a string of some stores holding on for dear life, with no real hope of staying long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston