Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 07:51 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hannah View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone, it seems like the areas we have been looking at online are ok. I do have a question or two though. In Ohio we had to pass school levys, in Pa they just raise the taxes. What does WV do? The houses we are looking at online have no basements, is this how all homes are in WV?

Thank you
Bob
Depends on where you are looking. Homes in my neighborhood don't have basements cuz of the whole water/flood plain thing. (Not sure how that works - I'm guessing that if you would dig down for a basement you would hit water). Many homes in the Chas area are built on hillsides so while they don't have a "basement" they do have one in the sense that the lower level is a walk-out basement (not sure how these are listed in listings).

Don't know if it is true in all areas, but I know in Putnam Co. we have voted on the school levies. I'm almost positive they have always passed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 08:07 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,124,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
Depends on where you are looking. Homes in my neighborhood don't have basements cuz of the whole water/flood plain thing. (Not sure how that works - I'm guessing that if you would dig down for a basement you would hit water). Many homes in the Chas area are built on hillsides so while they don't have a "basement" they do have one in the sense that the lower level is a walk-out basement (not sure how these are listed in listings).

Don't know if it is true in all areas, but I know in Putnam Co. we have voted on the school levies. I'm almost positive they have always passed.
Now for weird:

My grandmother's house on 30 W Kanawha Blvd (demolished ca. 1970 for I-64) had a basement but its floor was only about 4-5' below ground level---------and, it was not musty like most Old School cellars.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:49 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,778,646 times
vec that's referred to as the 'water table' for a property, and yes, if you dig down x amount of feet water will leach up so no basements and no septic fields. I haven't seen rush hour for teays- thanks for the heads up.

arizona considering the proximity to the river, it almost sounds like an extra precaution the builder used in case of 100 yr flood stage. When I googled army corps looks like late 40's to early 70's were when comprehensive flood control came into being. Just a guess. Further east of that location and I saw others that had full basements. (Musty, but what isn't at 100yrs old)

Old 09-01-2008, 09:09 AM

930 posts, read 2,160,871 times
Nobody mentioned St. Albans, is something wrong with St. Albans these days?

Old 09-01-2008, 11:04 AM

thebalogas- I'm new to WV but something about WV'rs I've noticed-- when they don't know something they tend to just be silent.
Not mentioning St Albans on my part is all about that because I've only been there for lunch one day. Not enough info to go by, but it has a pretty main street area with a laid back gentrified feel to it. That's the end of my knowledge/contribution about St Albans. Sorry I can't help you out more.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:00 PM

Yea, don't really have an opinion on St. Albans. I don't go there much (no reason to) and it's a pain to me to get to St. Albans from the Interstate). It's not that it's that far from St. Albans to I-64 it's just that I usually go where it's more convenient. Hmmm, never before realized I had that habit.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:04 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,613,071 times
As other posters mentioned, South Hills is a nice part of Charleston along with Kanawha City. Nice quiet tree lined streets, good schools, and convenience to everything around town.

Someone mentioned Sissonville...Although it's close to Charleston, it is VERY rural and the schools are less than desirable. I have a feeling if you would be in for some major culture shock there. Stay in town or head west towards Putnam County.

St. Albans is in western Kanawha County. It's a typical suburb, older than those further to the west, but still fairly convenient to the Charleston. I've never heard any major complaints about the actual town itself, it just happens to be surrounded by rather sketchy run down areas like Jefferson and Amandaville. Those places were not highly regarded when I left the area four years ago and from what I have heard things have only gotten worse.

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 09-01-2008 at 02:13 PM..

Old 09-01-2008, 06:06 PM

6 posts, read 19,489 times
We want to make sure we don't make the same mistake as we did moving out here, so we appreciate all the good and bad reports. I know that sounds funny since we originally moved from the Youngstown OH area to South Jordan UT, but its the truth. SLC area may have a ton going for it economically, but there are MAJOR people and religous issues out here. I kid you not every public school has a LDS owned and operated building just 30feet away from the school driveway. These buildings are for "elective" classes the students may take to learn about the LDS religon, and it starts in grade 1 !! Needless to say we are on pins and needles to find the right area for us to live, and for our little girl. So thanks to everyone, the more we know about the cities the better.

Bob

Old 09-02-2008, 12:50 PM

Bob if I may offer you a tip on how I chose my neighborhood; any property I was considering making a bid on I made a point of going to at night on a weekend and just walked the streets. That fact finding tour, which would be entirely subjective to your values, will likely prove to be what you live with full time. I found what worked for me in west charleston because I don't have your criteria for schools. Try it out- it's free, and it's completely independent of a realtor who may/may not be in touch with your best fit. It's also a buyers market.
Welcome to WV.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hannah View Post
I know that sounds funny since we originally moved from the Youngstown OH area
I'm from Warren originally. I can understand why you would want to move away from that general area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston