Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2008, 12:20 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times

Advertisements

I think once when I mentioned about how I had grown up on West Avenue (off of Washington Street) back in the late 60s to mid 70s, people had commented on how bad that particular section of the West Side had got since then. It was nice when I was growing up there. Google has finally added Charleston to their "street view" maps section, so I went to the old address and yep - REAL bad. Matter of fact, my old house is one of the worst looking homes on the street.

I just however, found the tiny house my family lived in back when I was born. We're talking late 60s here. Near the corner of Main Street and Elm Street in what I think people today call "the flat lands" on the West Side. Ok, so what is that neighborhood like these days? I did a virtual-walk via Google around the old house and the immediate area looks halfway decent still just based on looks. Better than West Avenue turned out, anyway. But once I got a bit further west toward Main and Delaware Avenue, things started looking a bit rough. Of course, the shirtless goober with his pants halfway down his butt who will forever be on Google maps now, doesn't help the image.

HERE is a supposedly workable link to the result for that old place.

And if I may for residents, one more: We for a while lived near the intersection of Noyes Avenue and 57th Street in Kanawha City. Google for some reason skipped this street on their photo pass-by, but the general block is seen HERE (near Highland Hospital). I know that parts of Kanawha City have also declined a bit over the years - but how's this particular part holding up?

- AG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 09:05 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
atlantagreg I cannot express how creeped out it makes me feel that you can type an address on the internet and peer into someones yard vicariously. I know you're looking for other reasons but still... heebie jeebies. I'm not saying you're at fault, but I'm wondering how people are going to misuse this tool for malevolent purposes. I typed in my own address and found my house which looks to be about 2-3yr old photo based on when the house next door went vacant and when a tree was removed from my front yard by the prior owner. Now I want to ditch my boxwoods and plant 50 ft hedges! hahahaa

I'll be heading to lowe's in kanawha on friday so if you can wait a day or two I can check it out for you. I usually don't spend time on those backroads off maccorkle ave so I can't say off hand what shape anything is in beyond store fronts on the main drag. My real estate agent lives in kanawha city and he's very happy there. I'll bet you mtneeratheart could answer directly because I believe his parents live nearby & he visits regularly. I know he's been to the crepe shop that I can never recall the name.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
atlantagreg I cannot express how creeped out it makes me feel that you can type an address on the internet and peer into someones yard vicariously. I know you're looking for other reasons but still... heebie jeebies. I'm not saying you're at fault, but I'm wondering how people are going to misuse this tool for malevolent purposes. I typed in my own address and found my house which looks to be about 2-3yr old photo based on when the house next door went vacant and when a tree was removed from my front yard by the prior owner. Now I want to ditch my boxwoods and plant 50 ft hedges! hahahaa
There's been some controversy as to the Google street view feature. Here's my take on it:

I don't have a problem with it since they're typically photos that are at LEAST months-old, up to a couple of years old (depending on when the Google photocar drove by). The views you get are the same views you'd get if you were driving down the street yourself, and nothing more detailed, so I don't have an issue with it so long as they do not enter an area that is posted as "private - no trespassing". Now, ONE Google driver DID do that not long ago, and the guy who's property is in the photo currently has a lawsuit against them for it - and I support that. I think the feature is frankly cool as all get out, but I believe if they come up to private country roads that say "private property", they should definitely turn the car around and not post the pics.

As far as people misusing the info. Hmmmmm... well, in terms of terrorists, I could maybe see blurring out Federal buildings, but also keep in mind the pics in general are very blurry. You can't see much detail at all. As far as people like burglars go - again, these are just random still shots that are old. Now, if Google wanted to post LIVE WEB CAMS on every corner, heck yeah, I'd fight that tooth and nail. Then burglars could monitor people as they come and go out of their homes. No way Jose... dumbdumbdumb. But so far what they've done is as I said, old still shots that give away no private info that you couldn't see if you drove by anyway.

If anything, the only bad thing of what I've seen so far is how bad my old house on West Avenue deteriorated since the days I lived in it. I just want to get the last few owners of it and go SMACK for not taking care of it through the years.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:24 PM

I picked up my house as quite a bargain because it was in real need of updating and cash is king in this economy. 100yr old craftsman and as much as I loved those old windows they were installed at a time when gas heat was practically free and insulation was newspaper in the walls. The bones were good, but the neighbors really sold this house. Not by talking about the house, but by having a very cordial atmosphere and looking out for one another. Money could never buy that and I can't emphasize how grateful I am to be one of 'theirs'. Punctuate that with one of them being a DEA agent. There are economic incentives for LE to move into troubled areas and encourage the neighborhoods to come up vs getting dragged into the gutter. That program seems to be an excellent investment for WV cities. A house 3 doors down purchased for 40k 5ys ago just sold for 73k two weeks ago.

Just keep that stuff in mind because face value statistics can be deceptive and if you've got resources to bring to a neighborhood that at it's heart is good but needs influx, that's where RE values can only go up. I'm thinking WV, particularly cities like charleston and huntington, are going to have to raise the bar on out of state landlords and not favor bad tenants so strongly because long term it hurts everyone. Abandoned or neglected properties hurt neighborhoods by attracting the wrong elements in an otherwise pleasant area depreciating everything. That's my guess at what happened to your old run down house.

I was left with the impression long ago that those houses on the flats are predominantly rentals, not as many are owner occupied. Up in the hills it's pockets of extremely nice (see the dead end of upper vine st) and total ick (Livingston st is having a few problems not just with drugs but with that hill destabilizing and taking a few houses out with it in the bargain). Red Oak street is another odd bird-- eastern half is nice and the other half is run down. It's all a work in progress.

Should you not have the patience for any of this perhaps south charleston or teays valley would work better. Modern architecture doesn't have the problems inherent with dated wiring, lead, or mishagosh plumbing etc. I personally didn't feel comfortable in south charleston even though the neighborhoods were exceptionally well kept. Rather snooty and materialistic as if they were wannabe another culture (not WV'ns). I came to WV because I genuinely appreciate their culture. That snooty stuff is something I walked from in my native NY, so having my druthers I'd rather not invest in what I dislike.
Kanawha city south of the tracks had beautiful homes along chesterfield ave if you'd like to take a google gander. I was invited into one of those houses via charity affiliation and we got to gabbing about charleston region in general-- he confirmed what I've observed that crime seems to import itself. The few incidents of crime on his block were transplants from indiana and alabama living in mean areas of st albans/dunbar but looking to target 'wealthy' neighborhoods with burglary and grand theft auto. Neighborhood watch signs weren't posted but these guys were busted immediately with due diligence from neighbors. Yes, the dolts were supporting drug habits. The few incidents of violent crimes going on in the region were notoriously in 'the flats' of west charleston and limited to dealer/ user retaliations of non native WV'ns. Ordinary citizens get left out of the incidents for the most part. You won't see the extremes of LA Detroit or Atlanta anywhere. Walk into the police precinct and ask. Cops were very helpful to me.

I haven't anything nice to say about north charleston so I'll shup about that.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:41 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
Default That is Truly Amazing

Hey, if you can drive past it and see it, what's wrong with it?

That is unbelievable. How to you get the photo map to come up like that. When I type in Charleston, all I get is the regular map, terrain map, and so forth.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:45 PM

4,959 posts, read 8,955,150 times
When you are on a Google map that has this feature, you'll see a little yellow man/icon at the top of the zoom in/out feature. When you either click that icon (as long as it stays yellow) or keep hitting zoom in, it will take you to the street view feature. Then click the arrows to "drive" down the road and use your mouse and left click to look in all directions. Only a Google Map has this feature, right now at least.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:39 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
When you are on a Google map that has this feature, you'll see a little yellow man/icon at the top of the zoom in/out feature. When you either click that icon (as long as it stays yellow) or keep hitting zoom in, it will take you to the street view feature. Then click the arrows to "drive" down the road and use your mouse and left click to look in all directions. Only a Google Map has this feature, right now at least.
That is more than impressive... it is awesome.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Hey, if you can drive past it and see it, what's wrong with it?

That is unbelievable. How to you get the photo map to come up like that. When I type in Charleston, all I get is the regular map, terrain map, and so forth.
Malicious intent from stalkers has already been an issue in chatrooms. God help you if someone gets hold of your address. Not just junk mail, salesmen show up to your door, pizza deliveries, and with this google feature you can claim to be standing outside someones house with a description. Plenty enough whackadoo's floating around the net. Shiver me timbers.

Greg's post--- in a way correct-- these are dated and my house pic is about 2-3yrs old. The new siding and landscaping will give away head games folks might try to play. Good thing I've been security minded for years and kept PO boxes active. Women have more problems than men do with these issues.

Greg those text photo's should be available now.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post

Greg those text photo's should be available now.
Got 'em. Thanks!

Sent you a PM.

atlantagreg30127

Old 01-30-2009, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
. Ok, so what is that neighborhood like these days? I did a virtual-walk via Google around the old house and the immediate area looks halfway decent still just based on looks. Better than West Avenue turned out, anyway. But once I got a bit further west toward Main and Delaware Avenue, things started looking a bit rough. Of course, the shirtless goober with his pants halfway down his butt who will forever be on Google maps now, doesn't help the image.
-AG
The hill part of the west side is pretty bad until you hit Park Ave. Then you're close enough to Edgewood that it's still pretty nice. But it seems to get worse every year.

Over on Main, things are pretty rough. The hood has slowly encroached on the area but the area around the 500-600 block seems to be holding up a little better.
I grew up down in the 900 block and things have gotten pretty grim down there.
Lots of drugs & crime. And goobers with no shirts & droopy pants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston