Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2007, 11:37 AM

171 posts, read 463,184 times

Advertisements

I've heard there are chemicle plants around Charleston, are they still functioning, Monsanto etc? How's the air quality?? what areas should I avoid, Nitro, i guess--
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 08:53 PM

26 posts, read 121,307 times
All the way from Marmet, through Charleston, South Charleston, Dunbar, Nitro, St. Albans, it's just one big chemical mess. I would think that the top 2companies are Union Carbide and DuPont, many other smaller ones. I left there 20 years ago, and hate to even go back to visit family. I don't know about the air quality but I'm sure it can't be too good. I hate to put Charleston down because I grew up there and still have a lot of fond memories, but I just can't imagine moving back there.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:07 PM

22 posts, read 115,748 times
Air Quality is fine in the Charleston area...no worries just stay away from Nitro area!

Old 06-09-2009, 10:03 AM

1 posts, read 3,186 times
I assume it's the air quality, but every time i drive through Charleston I nearly pass out at the wheel. Once i get 5-10 miles past it i'm fine.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:35 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlkeatin View Post
I assume it's the air quality, but every time i drive through Charleston I nearly pass out at the wheel. Once i get 5-10 miles past it i'm fine.
Quit holding your breath (Sorry, couldn't resist it).

If people have a hard time breathing in Charleston, they better stay away from other cities........
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedreports:

Air quality in Charleston Metro Area, WV is 41 on a scale to 100 (higher is better).

Air quality in Nitro, WV is 30 on a scale to 100 (higher is better).

For comparison:
Air quality in Winston-Salem, NC is 33 on a scale to 100 (higher is better).

Air quality in New York, NY is 12 on a scale to 100 (higher is better).

Air quality in Charlotte, NC is 17 on a scale to 100 (higher is better).

Air quality in Phoenix, AZ is 1 on a scale to 100 (higher is better).

Air quality in Cleveland, OH is 8 on a scale to 100 (higher is better).

Air quality in Pittsburgh, PA is 11 on a scale to 100 (higher is better).

Air quality in Denver, CO is 21 on a scale to 100 (higher is better).

Air quality in Warren, OH is 34 on a scale to 100 (higher is better).

Air quality is based on ozone alert days and number of pollutants in the air, as reported by the EPA.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

As to a couple rural places in WV:

Air quality in Buckhannon, WV is 84 on a scale to 100 (higher is better).

Air quality in Davis, WV is 96 on a scale to 100 (higher is better).

Last edited by Yac; 09-29-2009 at 06:41 AM..

Old 06-09-2009, 02:13 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
Quit holding your breath (Sorry, couldn't resist it).

If people have a hard time breathing in Charleston, they better stay away from other cities........
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedreports:

Air quality in Charleston Metro Area, WV is 41 on a scale to 100 (higher is better).

Air quality in Nitro, WV is 30 on a scale to 100 (higher is better).

For comparison:
Air quality in Winston-Salem, NC is 33 on a scale to 100 (higher is better).

Air quality in New York, NY is 12 on a scale to 100 (higher is better).

Air quality in Charlotte, NC is 17 on a scale to 100 (higher is better).

Air quality in Phoenix, AZ is 1 on a scale to 100 (higher is better).

Air quality in Cleveland, OH is 8 on a scale to 100 (higher is better).

Air quality in Pittsburgh, PA is 11 on a scale to 100 (higher is better).

Air quality in Denver, CO is 21 on a scale to 100 (higher is better).

Air quality in Warren, OH is 34 on a scale to 100 (higher is better).

Air quality is based on ozone alert days and number of pollutants in the air, as reported by the EPA.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

As to a couple rural places in WV:

Air quality in Buckhannon, WV is 84 on a scale to 100 (higher is better).

Air quality in Davis, WV is 96 on a scale to 100 (higher is better).
I'm confused. Is that for the Charleston Metro Area, which includes a whole lot of area that isn't really near Charleston, or the City of Charleston itself? I know it is better than it used to be because some of the chemical plants have closed, but I remember when I was much younger driving in from the north with others in my car and thinking someone had let go of some gas, the sulfur smell was so strong.

Last edited by Yac; 09-29-2009 at 06:41 AM..

Old 06-09-2009, 09:52 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Awwww heck, Atlanta is 12 out of 100 - I'm dead.

Actually, while it's not exactly "chemical free", Charleston's air quality is at least much improved compared to years ago before a lot of the newer clean air laws came into effect.

I was born in the mid-1960s in Charleston, and my parents told me that when they brought be home from the hospital, the cars that morning had a thin layer of "powder" on them from "fallout" via the plants. At that time, this was apparently a common occurrence. In the early or mid 1980s, there was some tv documentary show which I think was called "Cancer Valley USA" about the Kanawha Valley, which discussed the issues and interviewed residents. Apparently at that time (and earlier), the Kanawha Valley had a disproportionate percentage of people with Cancers than many other areas in the U.S.

I believe since those days with again, the new laws, things have cleaned up a good bit. At least my relatives who still live in the area say things seem better than they did years ago.

I'm guessing you still get that "rotten egg meets fart" smell when you cross the Nitro bridge, though. http://bestsmileys.com/sick/9.gif (broken link)

Old 06-09-2009, 10:55 PM

130 posts, read 367,906 times
Union Carbide is no longer around. It's Dow Chemical and Bayer that took those top spots, and DuPont is still over in Belle. There is also FMC, and the South Charleston Industrial Park, and some other companies. Charleston's air quality has greatly improved over the years.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:08 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
Back in the 60s, I believe Charleston and Weirton had perhaps
the worst air in the Nation. It is much improved today, I agree.
Unfortunately, part of the reason for that improvement was the
result of industrial relocation, part of the trade off of middle class
for clean air. Which is better? I guess it all depends on your
point of view. Personally, I'd take the jobs back in a minute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston