Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 09:19 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times

Advertisements

This state has no magnet schools at all. Our kids are in the gifted program in this county (Harrison) but are bused to a very small school where they do try to achieve a magnet type of curriculum. My son excels at music and my daughter at art. Both score extremely high in math and science..

You really need to contact the county and find out what they offer, and then find out if your kids can be tested for the gifted programs. If they don't score high enough, they may not qualify for gifted or "other" programs based on county regs.

We (WV) are very antiquated on this aspect. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 09:11 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,833,766 times
I would not expect much expansion of school services or extra programs. WV has an aging population. Lots of the well-paid jobs in the Charleston area were lost forever after Dow killed Union Carbide off. Huntington has been on the skids since at least late '70s and early '80s.

I'm not sure why you'd need a "brand new" house. Southern WV is small town. Much of that construction in Teays Valley happened only due to trade-ups by baby boomers who were employed in banking, medicine, and chemicals. And people who fled the crime and decay in Charleston and Huntington themselves. And baby boomers who made their money in construction. Back in the early 2000s, the building boom had stopped or slowed, I think. I would think you could find some house in Teays Valley that meets your needs. If you want land, then down Rt 119 / Corridor G or else out off Route 60 would probably be about it. Most Teays Valley homes are on postage stamp lots. It's up against a railroad track and an Interstate, plus it's a valley between hills. Flat land is rationed, lol.

I'm not saying it's a bad place to live. But it's not Atlanta or Raleigh or Houston, etc.

South Hills of Charleston might be another white bread suburb to consider. Given my druthers, I'd stay near Charleston, but I lived there 24 years. George Washington HS and Sacred Heart Catholic are the two best schools in that area. If you are in South Hills, hubby is commuting against traffic morning & evening to Putnam county, plus doesn't have to drive into the sun each evening. You and kids would have city amenities, medical facilities, health clubs, country club, and what I consider the best quality of life in that region. Parts of South Charleston are another area to consider. Or down Corridor G. Teays Valley, I always thought was one inconvenient PITA to commute to/from and a boring rural area to boot once you got home. The cultural events, movies, dancing, dining, etc. are predominantly in Charleston. Huntington used to be the queen bee back in the early to mid 20th century with all the river, railroad, and heavy manufacturing, but lost out to Charleston by the '80s. Huntington at night is supposed to be downright scary for women.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:44 PM

13 posts, read 28,522 times
you defintely are not going to find a multiethnic cultural situation anywhere in WV especially the south, WV is like 98% white and most ethnicities gather in university towns like Morgantown. there are no magnet schools. public schools have good and bad gifted programs. (i am a product of public school gifted programs myself but that was more than few years ago). a lot of kids end up going to private catholic schools because they offer better curriculum. definitely true but you have to deal with catholic indoctrination.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:58 AM

15 posts, read 36,650 times
Thanks to all who took time to ease us in the new environment. We will be in the area in April and will definitely check out all the places mentioned.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:36 PM

We are currently looking at rental accommodation near Charleston downtown as there might be a sister office to work from here also. As I understand going to Teays Valley will be against the traffic, a 20-30 minute shouldn't be that hard. what do you all veterns say?

What kind of place is "Imperial towers" ? We are looking for a short term , 1 bedroom furnished accommodation for next couple of months till the school is out.

regards

Old 04-11-2010, 11:25 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,833,766 times
I really don't know. It's an older building. It was there in 1980 and may be a '60s or early '70s vintage. The only person I knew that lived there was female research chemist for Union Carbide who lived there in the late '80s, but that's a long time ago in rental years, lol. A major railroad track runs by there, and I'm pretty sure there would still be lots of coal trains running in fall and spring as the power plants stock up for either heating or AC season.

Those properties down near the Charleston Town Center were pretty roomy plus had a garage. Garages can be a scarce commodity there. I'd probably try to find a townhouse rather than Imperial Towers, but if it's temporary for a few months, and one person, it probably doesn't matter.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,437 times
I just moved from the eastern USA and we decided for Charleston since it is more multicultural. Also the schools are more diverse, schools in WV are very good, however the city allows some schools to offer more diversity and have access to resources since it is a city. Check out the high schools in the city, GW is the most renown, also the montesory school has art and science program. if you have specific questions about the schools please talk directly to the county board of education and the principal. The board of education was our first point of contact since one of my children is in a special program and needs certain accommodations. The school we chose is a great, the teachers are knowledgeable and receptive. We went from a school of 600 kids in the east to a 100 kids in Charleston! If your child qualify for enrichment program, the school may be able to offer, but it is very important to check with the school and be in the right school district.

Putnam county has more value in regards to real estate but is not much of a cosmopolitan area, however, has very good Japanese restaurants due to Toyota. The area is suburban in a rural setting, beautiful scenery!. People who lives in Teays Valley love it there, it is beautiful, but I like to be in Charleston. It's a matter of taste.

good luck

Old 04-13-2010, 09:43 PM

396 posts, read 923,560 times
If your kids study arts Charleston is better that Putmam county. Rush hour traffic is a problem also. Yes, you can save $ buying a home in Putnam co but you will spend this money on gas. South part of Charleston sounds like better option to me.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:58 AM

We'll be in town soon looking for properties in john adams middle and george washington HS area. Pls suggest family friendly neighborhoods in this area.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:24 PM

This is for all the education veterens here in West Virginia . Just read on State board of education site about an "innovation zone" program about giving grants for some special type of schools/in school activities. Also saw a very interesting application about a Public Montessori Middle School. does anyone here has any idea what this might be
Innovation Zone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston