Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 06:31 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,363,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO PANTHERS!! View Post
Well, here again that's punishing all for the sins of a few. My son has been an AB/honor role student in AIG classes throughout his school years. With or without Uniforms..
How is wearing a uniform a punishment? It could be worse. An orange jumpsuit with NCDOC on the back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 06:31 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,321,855 times
Quote:
Well, here again that's punishing all for the sins of a few.
What exactly does this mean?

What is wrong with some basic dress guidelines?

We have them in the REAL world, one could not show up at the bank for a job with 'pants on the ground'.
Shouldn't we be conditioning kids for future success?

Old 02-12-2010, 06:43 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,068,302 times
Quote:
Sun Valley Middle
They don't require a uniform, they enforce a dress code. They have uniforms available that fit the dress code requirements but there is no uniform requirement.
Sun Valley Middle - Dress Code

Similarly, some jobs require a uniform (this shirt and these pant) and some just have a dress code (clothes fitting a general description). When I go to the bank the tellers and bankers follow a business casual dress code, Walmart has a dress code...blue shirts and khaki pants. A flight attendant has a uniform. I guess they're all being punished?

And I'm not sure I'd be willing to send my kids to the school if I REALLY thought the dress code was a punishment. Have you considered home schooling?

Old 02-12-2010, 06:58 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,363,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
What exactly does this mean?

What is wrong with some basic dress guidelines?

We have them in the REAL world, one could not show up at the bank for a job with 'pants on the ground'.
Shouldn't we be conditioning kids for future success?
Thanks for the "pants on the ground" reminder. I had actually gotten that song OUT of my head recently.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:44 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,784,011 times
Quote:
Well, here again that's punishing all for the sins of a few. My son has been an AB/honor role student in AIG classes throughout his school years. With or without Uniforms..
Oh good grief It's not done as a "punishment" for pete's sake!!

It's done to improve the learning environment, and it works.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:48 PM

530 posts, read 1,183,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajanqueen View Post
How is wearing a uniform a punishment? It could be worse. An orange jumpsuit with NCDOC on the back.
I don't see how that's related.... Are you saying that if they don't wear uniforms in school they're likely to end up in an orange jumpsuit?..

If the whole idea for uniforms in school is to handle situations where children taunt or attack other children over fashion, the the children who were not taking part in taunting or attacks are now forced to wear uniforms for no good reason. Impose something on the children who cause the problems, not all the kids.

Honestly, it's not that big of a deal. But it's infringing on me and my child so I'm a bit aggravated about it. It's not going to kill my son to wear the clothes and it's not killing me to buy them. But it's pointless because my child wasn't getting into or starting trouble and the uniforms have had no positive impact on us. So all I get out of it is the expense and and my son loses 3 years worth of his freedom to express himself through appearance.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:14 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,068,302 times
He has plenty of time to express himself via his clothing.
A year consists of 8760 hours. A school year (adding in 1 hour on each end of the school day) will take up only 1620 of those hours.

I guess my kids are odd...they express themselves primarily through their words and actions. Clothing is just worn on the outside, it doesn't necessarily indicate anything at all about a person. That's why we don't make judgments about a person based on what they are wearing.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
I guess my kids are odd...they express themselves primarily through their words and actions. Clothing is just worn on the outside, it doesn't necessarily indicate anything at all about a person. That's why we don't make judgments about a person based on what they are wearing.

You like Uni's, go right along with it then. You and your child = your choice. I don't, and that's my choice.. Sarcasm = unwarranted

It's part of our culture to express ourselves through outward appearance, otherwise we can all just wear uniforms right?

Old 02-12-2010, 01:49 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,321,855 times
Quote:
So all I get out of it is the expense and and my son loses 3 years worth of his freedom to express himself through appearance.
With fine arts, sports, extra-curricular activities, etc, I would argue he has plenty of time to 'express himself' versus just a few hours per day in the classroom.

Just wait until he enters the real world.
I have this job, and I have to wear pants and a shirt, with a collar mind you, everyday.
Sometimes I also have to tuck-in my shirt, which means I have to wear a BELT.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
With fine arts, sports, extra-curricular activities, etc, I would argue he has plenty of time to 'express himself' versus just a few hours per day in the classroom.

Just wait until he enters the real world.
I have this job, and I have to wear pants and a shirt, with a collar mind you, everyday.
Sometimes I also have to tuck-in my shirt, which means I have to wear a BELT.
Conform! Conform! Conform!

My point exactly.. this is the time when kids should be able to express themselves. Later in life there are expectations that grown ups are supposed to live up to....

I was able to express myself in school and I turned out fine. Business owner, nice big house, 3 smart kids, no troubles.... And I sported some very wild clothes and hair styles..

For anyone else who likes uniforms, no need to post in opposition to me. I know your opinion, you know mine. We can agree to disagree..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte