Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2011, 08:41 PM

3 posts, read 4,943 times

Advertisements

So, I'll be moving to Charlotte in a few weeks and I've been scoping out various apartment complexes online. I'll be working at CMC main and would like to find somewhere close, trendy, within walking distance to shops, restaurants, etc. Most importantly, I'd like it to be safe.
I've looked at a couple places, but I wanted to get people's opinions on them. I figured apartmentratings.com is probably laced with angry people who want a soap box, so I'm looking for some honesty.
Here are a couple places I've looked at
1. Camden Dilworth
2. 1420 Magnolia
3. Elizabeth Square
4. Camden Grandview
5. Cielo
6. Eastover Ridge

I'd really appreciate any insight anyone has to offer, or any other places you'd think would be worth looking into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 08:49 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islndchica View Post
So, I'll be moving to Charlotte in a few weeks and I've been scoping out various apartment complexes online. I'll be working at CMC main and would like to find somewhere close, trendy, within walking distance to shops, restaurants, etc. Most importantly, I'd like it to be safe.
I've looked at a couple places, but I wanted to get people's opinions on them. I figured apartmentratings.com is probably laced with angry people who want a soap box, so I'm looking for some honesty.
Here are a couple places I've looked at
1. Camden Dilworth
2. 1420 Magnolia
3. Elizabeth Square
4. Camden Grandview
5. Cielo
6. Eastover Ridge

I'd really appreciate any insight anyone has to offer, or any other places you'd think would be worth looking into.
Given your priorities I perfer Camden Dilworth and Elizabeth Square for you

Old 06-23-2011, 09:24 PM

119 posts, read 247,446 times
I would recommend 1420 Magnolia, Camden Dilworth, or Camden Grandview.

1420 is not near downtown, but there is a ton of stuff to walk to in that area, though it is a bit more ofa suburban feel. You would have shopping, dining, drinking, movies, bowling, etc. right across the street at Park Towne Village, Park Road Shopping Center, and the Montford Drive bars and restaurants. 1420 is gated and provides covered parking and the apartments are quite nice.

Camden Dilworth is relatively new and is in a great location around shops, bars, and restaurants in Dilworth. Haven't seen the apartments inside, but this is one of the best neighborhoods in town with plenty to do in walking distance including Freedom Park, which is great.

As far as the apartments themselves go, Camden Grandview would be at the bottom of these three just because of it's age - 12 years or so. Not that they are bad (not that 12 years is old, but I was there about 1.5 years ago and I have to say they were showing some age). The plus here is that the light rail runs right beside the building and you can't beat the views of uptown. Easy access to everything in uptown and SouthEnd via light rail or walking. I wouldn't count this out because of my comments on apartment conditions...they may have been renovated by now.

I think all three of these choices are very safe, though. Good luck!

Old 06-23-2011, 09:43 PM

3 posts, read 4,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Given your priorities I perfer Camden Dilworth and Elizabeth Square for you
Thanks!

I was reading some reviews on Elizabeth Square and people seemed to be complaining about noise and construction in the area. Do you know of anyone who actually lives there? I'm leaning a bit in that direction, but I'm looking for insider info.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islndchica View Post
Thanks!

I was reading some reviews on Elizabeth Square and people seemed to be complaining about noise and construction in the area. Do you know of anyone who actually lives there? I'm leaning a bit in that direction, but I'm looking for insider info.

Sorry, no one I know actually lives there, but they do live near it. There is a bit of construction going on in the area, but it's mostly residential stuff which is quicker to be completed than commercial stuff. People could have also been referring to the freeway noise from Independence Blvd, as it is close by. Some people actually LIKE that kind of background noise, so it's not a problem for everyone. However, if you want a more settled, quiet area I would recommend you go instead with Camden Dilworth. That is a really good location and you'd like all the surrounding places you could walk to, including Freedom Park

Old 06-24-2011, 01:02 PM

98 posts, read 341,996 times
I will caution you about Camden properties. I've lived at a Camden (not one of the ones you listed) but when you renew your lease their computer system takes supply and demand, as well as length of vacancy, into consideration when determining your new rate. Last year my rent went up $70/month and this year it's going up $90/month!!!! My place would rent to a new tennant for $750/month but because my until is occupied (by me!) my rent will be $798/month

This may not affect your decision but as someone who was VERY surprised by this, I caution you to do some research...good luck!

Old 06-24-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Hawk View Post
I will caution you about Camden properties. I've lived at a Camden (not one of the ones you listed) but when you renew your lease their computer system takes supply and demand, as well as length of vacancy, into consideration when determining your new rate. Last year my rent went up $70/month and this year it's going up $90/month!!!! My place would rent to a new tennant for $750/month but because my until is occupied (by me!) my rent will be $798/month

This may not affect your decision but as someone who was VERY surprised by this, I caution you to do some research...good luck!

Good apts are in high demand right now and occupancy rates for all apts really high, so unfortunately this happens at a lot of complexes!

Old 06-24-2011, 04:53 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,874,493 times
Camden Dilworth would be my #1 option. Heck, if I could afford it, I'd live there even if I worked out in the suburbs. The location is great.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:12 AM

150 posts, read 324,990 times
I hope you are going to be a brain surgeon at CMC main, because these places aren't cheap.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrm View Post
I hope you are going to be a brain surgeon at CMC main, because these places aren't cheap.
Prices start at about $950. And no, that's not "cheap", but it's far from extremely expensive either. You could be a nurse and afford that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte