Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 08:45 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,064,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
Sales taxes, especially on groceries and clothing, disproportionately affect the poor compared to having just a progressive income tax (where you get a personal tax-free allowance, and you pay a lower rate on lower levels of income which are used moreso for basics of survival.)
Aren't most groceries exempt? As for other things, most spending on clothing and discretionary items is a choice. I don't feel too bad for poor people who choose to spend more money than they need to...they should pay the same tax as everyone else. There is also a tax free weekend that people could take advantage of to avoid paying the tax.

In the end it doesn't matter who gets taxed for what if the governments can't control their budgets and spending...there will never be enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 08:51 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
Sales taxes, especially on groceries and clothing, disproportionately affect the poor compared to having just a progressive income tax (where you get a personal tax-free allowance, and you pay a lower rate on lower levels of income which are used moreso for basics of survival.)
EXACTLY. And this is where my disgust with the way our officials allocate entitlement $$ in the budget crosses with my equally great dismay that folks who are not qualified to receive those liberally distributed entitlements are the working poor! They are folks doing their best to be good citizens - do any type of job, pay their rent without subsidies, buy their groceries without food stamps, and often do without healthcare (since they can't qualify for Medicaid) - and then they get whapped with some of the highest taxes in the nation ON FOOD! Like these folks deserve that much of their disposable income going to taxes annually.

Something is very wrong in this city and it starts with who has carved out what slice of the pie for whom -- and at taxpayers expense.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:29 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,598,017 times
Wouldn't it be cool to say... you know what, I have a personal budget shortfall because I can't control my spending. Therefore I'm going to propose a .25% raise at work. Do this everytime the budget fails.

Just like modern society. We want to fix the symptoms of the problem, instead of fixing THE problem.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
Wouldn't it be cool to say... you know what, I have a personal budget shortfall because I can't control my spending. Therefore I'm going to propose a .25% raise at work. Do this everytime the budget fails.

Just like modern society. We want to fix the symptoms of the problem, instead of fixing THE problem.
AMEN and AMEN.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:33 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,213,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Aren't most groceries exempt? ...
Mecklenburg charges 2% on most groceries but there is a list of items like soda, candy etc that is charged a higher rate.. If the food is prepared like a rotessarie chicken, then you pay the 9.25%. Anything that is sold hot is subject to this higher tax. There are special rules if you are a party selling agricultural products at a farmers market.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Mecklenburg charges 2% on most groceries but there is a list of items like soda, candy etc that is charged a higher rate.. If the food is prepared like a rotessarie chicken, then you pay the 9.25%. Anything that is sold hot is subject to this higher tax. There are special rules if you are a party selling agricultural products at a farmers market.
Thank you for sharing that info, Lumbollo. I knew there were differences in the way items are taxed but didn't know what they were!

I have always felt it is wrong to tax groceries - at least - the staples. I don't have a problem with soda and candy . . . but bread, milk, eggs, flour, salt, etc. should not be taxed in any society, even if other grocery items are taxed. I have always found it disturbing that we tax our citizens on staples.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:26 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Thank you for sharing that info, Lumbollo. I knew there were differences in the way items are taxed but didn't know what they were!

I have always felt it is wrong to tax groceries - at least - the staples. I don't have a problem with soda and candy . . . but bread, milk, eggs, flour, salt, etc. should not be taxed in any society, even if other grocery items are taxed. I have always found it disturbing that we tax our citizens on staples.

I also think taxing soda and candy is one thing, but I think it is inhumane to tax staples. Food is a necessity there is no way around it, and it already can be very expensive. There is no excuse to add the burden of tax to an already expensive grocery bill. It seems very common to tax groceries in the southern states, and a few states in other regions of the USA. Taxes are part of life. I understand and agree with many of them but not on food.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I also think taxing soda and candy is one thing, but I think it is inhumane to tax staples. Food is a necessity there is no way around it, and it already can be very expensive. There is no excuse to add the burden of tax to an already expensive grocery bill. It seems very common to tax groceries in the southern states, and a few states in other regions of the USA. Taxes are part of life. I understand and agree with many of them but not on food.
Well put. It is an especially heavy burden on those making the least money. I wish we would eliminate taxes on staples as it does not seem like a fair tax overall - and perhaps even punitive for those folks in the most fragile financial circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte