Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2010, 05:49 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,337,570 times

Advertisements

I had the same problem in New Jersey, so I know this is not unique to TWC in this area, but it happened today and it drives me crazy.

Cable internet service stops suddenly - no internet! I only have ONE SIMPLE QUESTION: Is there an outage in my area, or is the problem just with me? If it is an outage I will just chill out until they fix it and not waste a lot of time resetting routers and modems and rebooting computers and fiddling with cable connections.... ok??? But if the problem is just at my house then I need to get right on it and find out where the problem is, so I should start testing equipment.

So I call TWC just wanting a simple answer to my simple question, and it takes me 1/2 hour to get through the busy signals (This is a clue that perhaps there is an outage) but when I finally get through the recorded message mentions an outage only in South Charlotte and the rep I speak to assures me that there is no outage in my area so she asks me a bunch of questions about my equipment, the usual drill. I proceed with the resetting rebooting routine and still.... no internet!! I call back to tell them that I have some kind of a problem, but this time I get a recorded message telling me there is an outage in MY AREA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 06:52 PM

65 posts, read 167,163 times
LOL!! I go thru the same thing in Manhattan... it happened yesterday and I expected it.. The Queen was in town and whenever any major dignity is going to the UN they come down my street there is some sort of communication block that takes out my phone and internet (cable tv is usually fine).. She was due to speak at 3:15 and like clockwork my services cut out at 2:45.. by 5:45 when they were still not back I called TWC and was told "there is no service outage", yet the regular rep was unable to reset me so they switched me to the advanced service dept who had me do a number of more steps. Service was finally back but they never did tell me it was them, claimed it was me.. seemed to coincidental.. Just like every nite from 10-11 the tv shows scramble on some stations, again they tell me it's me (and I've already replaced the TV sets and the cable boxes).. I keep telling them it happens on their end.. It is frustrating!!

Old 07-08-2010, 06:58 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
Weird I have had difference expierence.
Maybe your not dialing right number but I always get the Digital cable automated voice prompts
The voice asks you several yes, no questions to determine root of the problem.

With digital cable they can ping your modem and instruct you how to reset the modem
Also inform the problem is an outage.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:23 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,337,570 times
I call the cable company and they tell me "no outage." What I used to do in NJ is go through the highly technical process as follows: 1. Call neighbor #1: "Hey, is your internet working? No? ok, mine is out too, thanks!, 2. Call neighbor #2: "Hi, is your internet out too? Yeah, me too... thanks! OUTAGE CONFIRMED!

Old 07-08-2010, 08:29 PM

529 posts, read 1,979,664 times
They don't know when it is an individual outage, but they do know when it is multiple or grid.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:18 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,021,773 times
If you're apart of a multiple / grid outage, once tripped, your account is flagged as an outage area.

If you're RR is going out periodically, the levels to your modem could be bad, and then it would be an individual outage. If the levels are bad, a tech needs to come out to reconfigure the signal to the modem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte