Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 09:51 AM

5 posts, read 16,563 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am new here but have done a ton of lurking. After many years of talk, we are finally making a trip to 'look around' - we have friends that have been living in the Indian Trail area for a few years now.

Are brick homes generally safer to live in regarding potential wind damage from hurricanes? I know that south of Charlotte isnt anywhere near the coast, however I dont know what kinds of storm damage homes that far inland would get.

Are you generally 'safer' that far inland, and if so what is the most common types of storm damage? Flooding?

PS - How come a lot of new construction does not have basements? Is it because of the cost?

Thank you all in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 10:09 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,032,353 times
If your primary concern is "safety from hurricanes", you shouldn't worry about the Charlotte area... If it's wind you fear, then really the only scenario is a tornado touching down and then it won't matter what the house is sided with.

Really the brick is an aesthetic facade thing, it's not functionally constructed any different underneath. Brick and concrete based boards are preferred for the long term looks.

Do a search on basements, it's well documented and covered... In short, you'll find walkouts here.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:14 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times
Basements are often difficult to engineer here b/c of the water table - meaning - they leak, lol. However, you will find basements - you just have to look.

Hurricanes rarely cause more than a tropical storm here - meaning - lots of rain and some wind but nothing really destructive.

Where are you living now? We have members from all over and someone can probably compare the weather where you are living now to the weather here.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:21 AM

Thanks for the replies and info everyone!

Yes, I kind of figured that the brick houses aren't meant to be 'hurricane proof' but I would they may offer somewhat better protection when wind is throwing items around.

My wife and I live in Northwest NJ - we love the country feel of the area, and we mainly moved out there because it was more affordable, and its just nicer in general.

Now that our school district got completely hosed by the governor's education cuts, I dont feel that our school system is that great anymore, which is another factor in our decision.

I know, I know, here comes another transplant...frankly Im not too keen on the people from NJ either... lol...but we have just about reached our breaking point with this crummy state.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:23 AM

129 posts, read 234,336 times
My family is moving over from Ireland early next year to Charlotte, I have a realtor who I will be visiting in September to view homes. I asked about full brick homes not because of hurricanes but because I'd prefer it and all our homes here are brick. I was told that they are not easily available and when they are they cost more!

Old 07-09-2010, 10:27 AM

One of my concerns is just with vinyl siding - has anyone had issues with it getting ripped away from some of the wind?

Old 07-09-2010, 10:35 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,522,604 times
Hugo came through here and did a lot of damage and created one heck of a mess......
but it is rare that they come this far inland with those speeds and that much water ...

Old 07-09-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishooked View Post
One of my concerns is just with vinyl siding - has anyone had issues with it getting ripped away from some of the wind?
Certainly will happen, but it's not likely to happen here more then NJ.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:49 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Certainly will happen, but it's not likely to happen here more then NJ.
My thoughts exactly . . . if you watch weather patterns, you see that the Nor'easters affect us, too . . . so nothing here in Charlotte that is any worse than a Nor'easter.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:04 AM

Like I tried to get across earlier... The "all brick" and hardiplank are mostly preferred for aesthetics (especially long term). There are valid arguments related to the insulation factor and utility costs - they do make a difference, but the reality is that most people prefer the look.

Vinyl siding over the long term just won't hold up in comparison and needs some maintenance (i.e. replace sagging pieces and power washing). In some neighborhoods you can see where builders used like every scrap piece of vinyl available with seams all over the place - it is something to look out for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte