Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 09:27 AM

841 posts, read 2,476,611 times

Advertisements

I have a car that I've been trying to sell for over a year with no success. I am tired of having this car just sitting on my driveway taking up space and I was thinking that if I don't sell it by the end of the year, I will donate it to a charity. Now, I did this a few years ago in NY where I donated a car and got back a letter from the charity stating that the book value of the car was something around $3,000 - and I got back a nice big return that following year. So I consulted with my accountant and she said that the laws are pretty much still the same, BUT it depends on who you donate the car to. If I donate the car to a charity and they turnaround and sell the car – then I can only deduct the gross proceeds of that sale and no more. Or if I donate the car and the charity decides to retain the car for its own use – then I can only deduct the fair market value (FMV) as a charitable contribution on my tax return. The car is not a great car and I am sure I can back more in taxes if they give me the book value versus gross proceeds.

Any suggestions as to an organization that I can donate a car to and get book value instead of gross proceeds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 11:28 AM

445 posts, read 1,167,125 times
I donated my car to Goodwill's "cars for work" program a few years ago. They give cars that are in running condition and not in need of major repairs to low income people who need transportation to work.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:32 AM

That sounds great...do you know if they give you a receipt for book value?

Old 07-13-2010, 11:47 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,026,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samana View Post
[color=black][font=Times New Roman]
Any suggestions as to an organization that I can donate a car to and get book value instead of gross proceeds?
If memory serves, the law was changed a couple of years ago, so you can no longer get book value for a car, regardless off whom you donate to.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
If memory serves, the law was changed a couple of years ago, so you can no longer get book value for a car, regardless off whom you donate to.
That's what I thought too..which is why I asked my tax preparer about the tax law for car donation. As long as the organization uses it for their own purposes, I can get book value. I wanted to donate my car last year (before 12/31) to write it off on taxes, but I didn't. I tried keeping it a little longer to see if anyone can buy it. I've had a few people interested, but then they don't come back.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:53 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times
Quote:
That is correct. I am certain of this b/c I donated a car back in 2005 and the laws changed after that, making it less of an option (as far as tax purposes) to donate vehicles.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samana View Post
That's what I thought too..which is why I asked my tax preparer about the tax law for car donation. As long as the organization uses it for their own purposes, I can get book value. I wanted to donate my car last year (before 12/31) to write it off on taxes, but I didn't. I tried keeping it a little longer to see if anyone can buy it. I've had a few people interested, but then they don't come back.
Have you considered simply advertising the car as a "give-away" and putting it at some figure like $500? You didn't state what the make or model of the car is so I have no way of knowing what is feasible.

If you are paying taxes and car insurance on the vehicle at this time, selling it for a nominal fee would at least save you the money you are currently spending on taxes and insurance (and inspection fee/license tag renewal).

Just a thought . . .

Old 07-14-2010, 07:58 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,026,600 times
So now I am curious what is the car?

Old 07-14-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
So now I am curious what is the car?
I am, too, LOL.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Have you considered simply advertising the car as a "give-away" and putting it at some figure like $500? You didn't state what the make or model of the car is so I have no way of knowing what is feasible.

If you are paying taxes and car insurance on the vehicle at this time, selling it for a nominal fee would at least save you the money you are currently spending on taxes and insurance (and inspection fee/license tag renewal).

Just a thought . . .
It's a 1996 Buick Regal...it has 166k miles..it also has dents on the drivers' side and it leaks coolant. It's not the prettiest or best car, but when I was using it, I was driving close to 70 miles a day with it - 5x a week. So it's very reliable. I've had it on my driveway for a year now with no plates or anything so I haven't been paying taxes on it. My husband drives it around the community every few days just to keep stuff from gunking up. That's why if I don't sell it soon, I am just donating it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte