Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 03:12 PM

286 posts, read 1,045,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I think they meant the *slices* were pre-formed like Steak'Ums, not the big piece of meat on the spit being pre-formed. I could be wrong, though...
That's how I read it as well. Too many places cook frozen pieces on a flat grill instead of a pre-formed meatloaf like mass on a vertical spit. Night and Day taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 06:41 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,798,005 times
Captain Steve's in Fort Mill has great Gyros for lunch!!!

Old 07-13-2010, 07:14 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlikemethodz View Post
That's how I read it as well. Too many places cook frozen pieces on a flat grill instead of a pre-formed meatloaf like mass on a vertical spit. Night and Day taste.
Exactly. I like the difference in textures and flavors from a spit, because you get some meat that's a bit crispy from the outside of the "meatloaf", and some that's running with juice from the inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
Captain Steve's in Fort Mill has great Gyros for lunch!!!
Really? That's surprising. I live a few minutes from the one on Monroe Rd, may have to check that out.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:40 PM

852 posts, read 2,467,088 times
Cluckers on H51 Pineville has a decent gyro.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:08 AM

416 posts, read 925,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlikemethodz View Post
I second this. I was very disappointed with Akopolis. Do they taste what they make? There is a Turkish place in Latta Arcade uptown that sells gyros (doner kabob in Turkish). I also like the wrap place in Carolina Place Mall; they cook their meat on a spit.
Do you know the name of the place? The one you mention uptown?

Old 07-14-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megan722 View Post
You might try Greek Isles off Bland Street or Kabob Grill. I think they have one. I haven't tried them at either place but I do love kabob grill and I had the greek plate at Greek Isles. Like you, I think Showmars has a pretty good Gyro sandwich and platter.
Thanks. Been to Greek Isles. Kabob grill next to hickory Tavern?

Old 07-14-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Not sure if Sultan Kabob House on S. Tryon near Westinghouse has gyros or not, but the rest of their food is FANTASTIC. So, if they do have gyros, I'm betting they are great.

Damn! Now I want some meat pies....
It's been awhile scince I have been to Sultan ..... BUT YES, they have great food in general. (imo)

Old 07-14-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micapu View Post
the Gyro I had at Showmars was ok, passable but definitely not the one I'd use as my yardstick. However, the Souvlaki was out of this world delicious, and definitely up there as one of the best I've ever had. Which of course leaves you still looking for a tasty Gyro I'm interested too, I love me some *good* Greek food!

According to a recent thread on Chowhound, Athenian Corner Grill on Charlottetown Ave at the intersection of Elizabeth Ave. has great Gyros. Might be worth a try?
I threw Showmars in because usually, 9 times at of ten when the gyro question is asked, Showmars is a popular response (most everyone knows Showmars) and I do like them there but, I have had a few around other places that I enjoy also. Funny thing is, the Gyro platter and Gyro salads are THE ONLY thing I will order from this chain.
We didn't care for the other things we have tried here.

I have not been to nor heard of Athenian Corner Grill. I am looking for responses like this! Thanks.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smclarke4 View Post
Cluckers on H51 Pineville has a decent gyro.
Perfect. See, that's what I meant by saying, I might be missing something. Because, I have heard that name Cluckers before but, always thought it was a chicken type of place. Thanks. I will look for menu.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:50 PM

102 posts, read 285,106 times
The Mad Greek on South Blvd and woodlawn area has the gyro meat on a spit.. I actually just found it recently just googling.. it taste like Pita House that i went to in grand rapids michigan.. and the pita bread is good too..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte