Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 11:24 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsN Charlotte View Post
BTW, OP? Where is this JOel's pizza you are questioning? I don't know Izzy's either, so help me out.
It is on International Drive off of Providence near 51. It is in the same "plaza" as Gleiberman's Kosher Mart & Restaurant.

It was OK and the food was pretty cheap. A few things I noticed:

1. They only have high tables, no booths or regular tables.
2. All the stools were of different styles and none were very comfortable.
3. The silverware was all different styles as well. It looked like they just went to the Goodwill or maybe Tuesday morning and picked up everything they could from the silverware bin.
4. The plates were cheap as well, they weren't paper but they those cheap ones you can pick up at WalMart for next to nothing. The apps were served on those corny plates that are shaped like a chili pepper.
5. Stromboli seemed to have some sort of garlic sauce on it. It was hard to tell what it was. My wife hates garlic and didn't appreciate it not being mentioned on the menu.
6. The credit card machine was down so they were writing down credit card numbers and running them at home. I paid cash because I didn't trust them to securely dispose of the full number.
7. No ambiance to speak of. I have noticed this strange thing with some restaurants where it is just deathly quiet even if there are other people around. There was no music, poor lighting, etc. Only decoration was a wall that was painted with a mural.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 11:25 AM

1,013 posts, read 2,983,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
Yikes..carrots in Italian sauce..that could be considered a mortal sin...never heard of it..I make Sicilian style..simple garlic oil burn the paste..maybe some fresh basil and oregano..you're done//people love to kill Italian sauce..think they have to throw all kinds of stuff in it...just need the right ingredients like Rienzi or pope paste..not that Heinz stuff they sell down there...but never had pizza with meatballs on it..like my meatball with pasta and my pizza naked...

A mortal sin? LOL

...look up Bolognese sauce......the Italians know how to make gravy and guess what? The authentic Italian recepie calls for a mirepoix.

They are chopped so small and the sauce cooks so long someone like you wouldn't even know they're in there.

Maybe some people have never heard or tried carrots, but old school Italians definitely used carrots in certain gravy. It adds a sweetness to the gravy. Try it sometime.

Classic Bolognese Meat Sauce Bolognaise) Recipe - Italian.Food.com - 121869

Bolognese Sauce Recipe | Simply Recipes

Sauce bolognese recipe

Old 07-14-2010, 11:26 AM

457 posts, read 1,177,391 times
Carrots in sauce is not uncommon for marinara sauce that you'd have over pasta, but not typical to have on pizza. The carrots make the sauce sweeter & most sauce makers either add a touch of sugar for meat sauce or a small amount of carrots (or sugar) for marinara. But to each his own as their are so many regions in Italy. As for the meatballs, I've seen that but never ate b/c it didn't appeal to me. As for the sauce being the same as what the meatballs were simmered in, not that's not usual. Normally you have a pie & then they just throw sliced/crumbled meatballs on top sometimes with some extra cheese.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:33 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Like there's only ONE "Italian way" to make a sauce... lol

It's a very big country and whether "you came from or have family directly" from Naples or Sicily or XYZ, it doesn't matter. It certainly doesn't mean you know how the whole country cooks.

Interestingly enough when I was a kid I remember clearly Julia Childs talking about how the Chinese taught the Italians how to cook... stuck with me for some reason all this time. So I giggle when Italian Americans talk down to other Americans about Italian cooking. heh

Old 07-14-2010, 12:20 PM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsN Charlotte View Post
You don't know what you're missing
Heh..no thanks. Nothing better than an old fashioned slice of cheese pizza..

Old 07-14-2010, 12:28 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,366,938 times
I can't believe that shopping center is still open. I went to Gleiberman's a few years ago and haven't been back there since. It's kind of scary.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:51 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
I can't believe that shopping center is still open. I went to Gleiberman's a few years ago and haven't been back there since. It's kind of scary.
There are only a couple of places open in the center so far as I can tell.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:01 PM

416 posts, read 925,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
It is on International Drive off of Providence near 51. It is in the same "plaza" as Gleiberman's Kosher Mart & Restaurant.
Oh boy. You mean Izzy's cafe. DUH. I know where that was. As a matter of fact, I am the one who posted that they had closed. I have not been in that plaza since.
Glad to hear that it is not an empty space.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:56 PM

6 posts, read 12,260 times
I grew up in NY, never heard of such a thing! If you want good NY pizza try Pizza Palace in Indian Trail-excellent!

Old 07-14-2010, 05:35 PM

539 posts, read 1,497,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbossert1 View Post
I grew up in NY, never heard of such a thing! If you want good NY pizza try Pizza Palace in Indian Trail-excellent!
X2 on Pizza palace. Grew up on Long Island and meatballs are always put on the pie in slices - never whole. ( At least all the pizza joints that I ate at for 40 yrs.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: