Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2010, 03:19 PM

2 posts, read 2,042 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am from Northeastern NC (Elizabeth City) and I am looking to move to the Charlotte area as soon as possible. I have a 4 year degree in Criminal Justice and have just began classes for my MBA. I have been working in corrections for the past year and a half. I want to preferably work in the government sector but will accept work within the private sector if I can find it. I am also a single mother of an 8 year old so good schools are very important as well. My main questions are:

1. How is the job market now? I know that Charlotte recently hit a rough patch (as many other cities did). Are things improving now? Does anyone know of any places that are currently hiring?

2. How are the schools? If the schools aren't up to par, what are some of the best private schools?

3. How big of a problem is crime?

4. How is traffic and the commute time?

5. Are there alot of cultural activities and family activities?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 04:24 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happydana View Post
Hi, I am from Northeastern NC (Elizabeth City) and I am looking to move to the Charlotte area as soon as possible. I have a 4 year degree in Criminal Justice and have just began classes for my MBA. I have been working in corrections for the past year and a half. I want to preferably work in the government sector but will accept work within the private sector if I can find it. I am also a single mother of an 8 year old so good schools are very important as well. My main questions are:

1. How is the job market now? I know that Charlotte recently hit a rough patch (as many other cities did). Are things improving now? Does anyone know of any places that are currently hiring?

2. How are the schools? If the schools aren't up to par, what are some of the best private schools?

3. How big of a problem is crime?

4. How is traffic and the commute time?

5. Are there alot of cultural activities and family activities?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I know I sound like a broken record, since this has been said over and over here in the last two years - but please, do not come to Charlotte unless or until you get a job! Unemployment is still high here, so the days of just assuming you'll find one are long gone.

If/when you do I'd recommend family friendly areas like Matthews or Huntersville.

Charlotte has more to do than any other city in the state, including "cultural activities". It is also the largest city in the state, which means we have more crime and social issues than just about any other part of NC. Traffic can be really heavy in many areas, depending on where you live versus where your job is.

My recommendation to you is to find a job first, then come back and ask folks here the best places to live based on that location

Old 07-15-2010, 10:30 PM

2 posts, read 2,042 times
Thanks for your response but I would never move anywhere without first having a job lined up. My question about the job market was so that I could see how easy or hard it would be to find employment so that I could know how that would fit into my relocation plans. As for the rest of my questions I know that some of the answers would depend on the area, but I was just asking in general. For example certain places are known for having high crime rates and heavy traffic. I was wondering in general if Charlotte was one of those places? But I guess I'll gather my answers from other threads. Thanks again

Old 07-27-2010, 01:33 AM

6 posts, read 11,275 times
The best schools are in Cabrarrus county. I have a Charlotte address but live in Cabrarrus county and very happy with the school top rated. Meck county has cheaper homes, but higher taxes and schools are okay. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte