Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2010, 10:52 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,011,460 times

Advertisements

I just moved out of an apartment complex a little over a month ago. I recently got my last water bill, which they claim is about 2,000 gallons more then any of my monthly usages from the past 2 years. Well, actually its not a bill, but a letter they sent me saying how much I owe them for my last month of water. I have requested the actual water bill, but they are telling me that they are unable to provide it for me. I don't feel like I am being unreasonable to request such a bill, and that I have a right to have a copy of this bill. Am I right? Is this within my renters rights?

Also, is there any way to argue my water usage? I have provided the exact monthly usage for the past 2 years, but they are still claiming that I owe them for the amount in the letter. Although they also say that it was originally based on their estimate of what my water bill would me. Do I actually have to pay for a guess, and one that is almost twice the amount of my normal water usage? The last month that we were at the apartment complex there was a fire in one of the other buildings. My boyfriend seems to think that they split the cost of the water used to put out the fire between all of the residents. We have previously lived in an apartment complex that split the water usage evenly throughout the complex, but this one did not have anything in the lease about community water usage. Nor were we ever informed later on that they would be switching to this, as is what our last complex did. Can they charge us for such a thing if this is in fact what we are being charged extra for?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 03:39 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,351,397 times
No , they can't legally charge you. Shared water usage sounds like BS , just as does charging you all for water used to extinguish a fire. I'd consult BBB or an attorney.
Also , for future reference , avoid complexes that require 'shared water usage'. I've never heard of such a thing!! Where was this complex? It sounds like slumlord academy , or something equally devious. All of the apts. I've rented have included water in the rent , a select few cable , phone(landline) , and even internet service. Yeah , that sounds like BS. Absolute , positive , BS.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:09 AM

83 posts, read 445,257 times
So they want you to pay but can't provide you with the actual bill? Sounds like they're trying to squeeze a few more dollars out of you since you left. I wouldn't pay anything without the actual bill.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:29 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,652,565 times
You can contact Legal Services, they have information about tenant's rights and the law:

Legal Aid of NC - Charlotte office

They also linked to this site, which has information about landlord/tenant law
LawHelp NC

Old 07-16-2010, 09:35 AM

162 posts, read 729,442 times
Fire department? I am pretty sure whichever fire hydrant the firemen plugged into wasn't on the meter for the complex. When they do repairs sometimes they will open up a hydrant to reduce sediment from the repair work... that would run a lot more water than putting out a fire, and it shouldn't be on anyone's bill.

It sounds like BS, I would require a bill or some proof that you used a lot more water than everyone else.... then again, if they knew that, each unit would have meters and you would each have a bill

Old 07-16-2010, 11:11 AM

716 posts, read 1,544,362 times
2000 gallons is only about 20 dollars, right? I thought most apartment complexes have wireless water meters installed in apartment homes? I know my water meter is right above my washer and it makes a clicking sound everytime water is running. It will then show on my monthly rent statement how much water was used for the previous month. I tend to use 900-1000 gallons per month which is about 10 dollars a month.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:18 AM

2,948 posts, read 7,018,321 times
Shared water bills is actually a common apartment complex thing that I one of the larger apartment complex companies in the US does. Not as uncommon as one would think.

Per the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, no person is responsible for charges of a debt if the creditor cannot provide PROOF of the bill. Without having the bill in hand, you are not obligated to pay.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:52 PM

595 posts, read 1,622,239 times
How much extra is the bill?

It might not be worth your time to fight it if it is only a few extra bucks.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:05 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,371,755 times
Check your lease to see what it says about utility billing, especially with regards to the final bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte