Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 12:08 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times

Advertisements

I need more info . . . but I suspect Gilchrist just used this as an excuse to oust someone who annoys him. Very likely Smith's politics annoy him . . . but who knows?

If Gilchrist has been a big supporter of the program that Smith was criticizing, that probably has more to do with it than anything. If the program is lousy, then that means the DA's office is letting folks "slip by" and avoid worse penalties thru/ use of the program . . . and hence Gilchrist could take Smith's criticism personally, I suppose. Or he could say it throws a bad light on everyone who is involved in putting the program in place and thus - Smith was tearing down the department's credibility by expressing his opinion to the press.

Thank God Gilchrist is on the way out. As is fairly typical, lame duck politicians often take advantage of the opportunity to fire anyone they disagree with on the way out the door.

But I don't think this is more than Gilchrist himself doing his thing - and a lame duck DA does not an old boy network make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 12:12 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,864,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
hmmm. this is not a story on the front page of the Observer anymore.

Anyone else think that this is only a one-guy job?????????
Are you seriously implying that the notoriously liberal Observer has buried this story at the behest of an allegedly conservative Peter Gilchrist? The Observer rotates the storys on its front page continuously. Perhaps they feel that people will be more interested/concerned with Dean Smith's illness than they are with what's happening in local politics. Sad truth of the matter is that they're probably right!

Old 07-17-2010, 12:16 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,864,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I need more info . . . but I suspect Gilchrist just used this as an excuse to oust someone who annoys him. Very likely Smith's politics annoy him . . . but who knows?

If Gilchrist has been a big supporter of the program that Smith was criticizing, that probably has more to do with it than anything. If the program is lousy, then that means the DA's office is letting folks "slip by" and avoid worse penalties thru/ use of the program . . . and hence Gilchrist could take Smith's criticism personally, I suppose. Or he could say it throws a bad light on everyone who is involved in putting the program in place and thus - Smith was tearing down the department's credibility by expressing his opinion to the press.

Thank God Gilchrist is on the way out. As is fairly typical, lame duck politicians often take advantage of the opportunity to fire anyone they disagree with on the way out the door.

But I don't think this is more than Gilchrist himself doing his thing - and a lame duck DA does not an old boy network make.
As the OP is originally from Chicago (and we all know how crooked Chicago politicians are), it is perfectly understandable that's she'd think this goes much deeper than it really does. At least Smith doesnt have to worry about the Charlotte Mafia...

Old 07-17-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
As the OP is originally from Chicago (and we all know how crooked Chicago politicians are), it is perfectly understandable that's she'd think this goes much deeper than it really does. At least Smith doesnt have to worry about the Charlotte Mafia...
True. CHI is the first to say she knows Chicago style politics when she sees 'em, tho. I think she truly thought this must be something much bigger - and I think there are times Old Boy Networks are involved in politics here.

I just don't think this is one of those times.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:31 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,033,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
True. CHI is the first to say she knows Chicago style politics when she sees 'em, tho. I think she truly thought this must be something much bigger - and I think there are times Old Boy Networks are involved in politics here.

I just don't think this is one of those times.
hahaha, you guys got me. I hope that you are right, Ani. There is just too much back-room politics gong on around here lately. Honestly hope this guy has the where-with-all to expose them (if there are any in this situation).

just a side note: another Chicagoan mentioned to me how much the Alvin Green thing that is happening in SC reminded them of being in the city...hahaha

Old 07-17-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
hahaha, you guys got me. I hope that you are right, Ani. There is just too much back-room politics gong on around here lately. Honestly hope this guy has the where-with-all to expose them (if there are any in this situation).

just a side note: another Chicagoan mentioned to me how much the Alvin Green thing that is happening in SC reminded them of being in the city...hahaha
Hee Hee. That Alvin Green situation is WILD!!!! Folks voted for him - that is what has my head spinning!!!

Actually, I think there has been a LOT of Old Boy type stuff that has gone on w/ CLT politics for a long time. I can sure point out half a dozen things off the top of my head that I have seen just since moving back here. But it isn't just Old Boy stuff that goes on and reeks of "unfair" - I don't know what the other term is - "coalition politics?" lol

The sad facts are . . . any time there is money involved and political plums to hand out (and jobs to appoint) . . . it seems to me it is hard to find leaders w/ moral compasses and rock solid ethics who aren't gonna be swayed by campaign dollars and perks.

Sad . . .but true. And Charlotte certainly isn't immune.

Old 07-18-2010, 04:21 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,019,704 times
How long was Smith in his job? If more than 2 years, in N.C. he should have civil service protection and would have cause to sue.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:45 PM

308 posts, read 617,657 times
Good ole boy network? I would suggest going to the library to validate the term if they were open? LOL!

Old 07-21-2010, 05:14 AM

604 posts, read 1,307,285 times
Im watching Mel Gibson. Old Mad Max is a bit crazy LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte