Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 06:31 PM

2 posts, read 22,494 times

Advertisements

Our neighbors pool is flooding our backyard. We have installed a french drain for her to drain the pool when needed. When we moved in thought that would be a good gesture we even discussed it with her about placing the drain hose into it. Well needless to say she won't use it and now our deck is sinking. Our lawn on the side of the house is flooded again. Can't walk on it without sinking. What can I do???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 07:44 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
I think we need more info.

Do you own the house next door (where your neighbor lives?) Otherwise, why on earth did you think it was your responsibility to install french drains for her convenience?

Why would you spend the money if she is a slob and won't do it herself on her own property?

I must be missing something here. The water is HER problem, not yours. WHy have you encouraged her to not properly drain her own property by installing a french drain on yours????

Do you live in a subdivision? Are you in the city limits? Do you have a HOA?

Is this an above-ground pool?

Old 07-18-2010, 07:47 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,376,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwing123 View Post
Our neighbors pool is flooding our backyard. We have installed a french drain for her to drain the pool when needed. When we moved in thought that would be a good gesture we even discussed it with her about placing the drain hose into it. Well needless to say she won't use it and now our deck is sinking. Our lawn on the side of the house is flooded again. Can't walk on it without sinking. What can I do???
Do you live in a subdivision with an HOA? Also, what are the town rules governing pools? Is it above or in ground?

Old 07-18-2010, 08:03 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,461,335 times
Have you told her of the problems her pool are causing? Obviously you've been great and installed drains, but she might think that's the end of it. I'd make her aware it's still a problem first and see what her response is. Depending on that I would think you'd have a couple of options at least.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:54 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
I was involved in a court case where a neighbor was flooding another with pool drainage... the impacted neighbor successfully sued in court, got the violator to pay for engineering studies and replace a concrete porch.

Take pictures and document.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:24 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,335,039 times
Is it an indoor pool in the apartment unit above yours?

Old 08-02-2010, 05:42 AM

2 posts, read 22,494 times
Yes, it's an above ground pool.
No HOA
Yes I have already told her about the flooding, and she has a hard time getting her lawn mower thru her side of the mud!
Sometimes people go above and beyond just to be good neighbors!
Yes we live in a subdivision
I will also take pictures along with my deck that is now leaning from the mud

Old 08-09-2010, 03:27 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,125,728 times
It is a shame but some people just do not care or may not be aware of what they are doing to a neighbor's property. Remind her again then take pictures and take her to court. We are not allowed to drain a pool on the ground where I live. We are not allowed to drain our pools in a creek either due to the damage chlorine will do to the critters in an area of a stream. We must drain our pools to our own drainage system either public or private or get fined.

You are doing the right thing and take many pictures but try to get one before the leaning occured.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:56 PM

160 posts, read 354,888 times
well, if what SYNERGY1 says is true, couldn't you start with the town/city hall and see what they think before hiring a lawyer and going thro all that expense?

Old 04-29-2015, 07:02 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,594,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokensky View Post
I think we need more info.

Do you own the house next door (where your neighbor lives?) Otherwise, why on earth did you think it was your responsibility to install french drains for her convenience?

Why would you spend the money if she is a slob and won't do it herself on her own property?

I must be missing something here. The water is HER problem, not yours. WHy have you encouraged her to not properly drain her own property by installing a french drain on yours????

Do you live in a subdivision? Are you in the city limits? Do you have a HOA?

Is this an above-ground pool?
I agree. Sounds like OP has been very cool to the neibor about the situation and went above and beyond trying to assure NOT having a flooded yard. This kind of pisses me off because few of us are likely to have even nice neighbors, none the less ones that spend money to help us out.

OP your neighbor is an inconsiderate turd. Figure out who you need to report this too and report your neighbor over and over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: