Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2010, 09:23 AM

6 posts, read 12,435 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Can anyone native to, or that has relocated to Davidson, please tell me all about the city. My wife and I live in Indianapolis and after visiting my sister in Charlotte would like to possibly relocate to the area. We are considering Davidson, as we no longer wish to live in the city after already living in Indianapolis and Columbus, which are very similar to Charlotte.

She works in Higher Ed, and after completing her Masters in December, would like to look for a position at Davidson College.

I plan to open a restaurant or cafe upon relocation.

My questions are:

Do residents enjoy local restaurants?
Do jobs open at Davidson College often?
Is the community bike, walk and dog friendly?
Is this a touristy area?
How accesible and used is Lake Norman?
How is the weather?
How are the people?
How is the drive to Charlotte?
Is housing affordable?
Where is the closest airport?
How diverse is the city?
Are there a lot of transplants and how are they treated?
WHat kinds of festivals and events are held?
Is it safe?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 09:37 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmandrew View Post
Hello,

Can anyone native to, or that has relocated to Davidson, please tell me all about the city. My wife and I live in Indianapolis and after visiting my sister in Charlotte would like to possibly relocate to the area. We are considering Davidson, as we no longer wish to live in the city after already living in Indianapolis and Columbus, which are very similar to Charlotte.

She works in Higher Ed, and after completing her Masters in December, would like to look for a position at Davidson College.

I plan to open a restaurant or cafe upon relocation.

My questions are:

Do residents enjoy local restaurants?
Do jobs open at Davidson College often?
Is the community bike, walk and dog friendly?
Is this a touristy area?
How accesible and used is Lake Norman?
How is the weather?
How are the people?
How is the drive to Charlotte?
Is housing affordable?
Where is the closest airport?
How diverse is the city?
Are there a lot of transplants and how are they treated?
WHat kinds of festivals and events are held?
Is it safe?

Thank you!
Davidson is a very desirable, more upscale community. I am sure people there have more disposble income for dining out and likely do so often.

Expect to pay $350,000 and up (mostly up) to live there - you tell us if you think that's "affordable"

The college is the center of the community. Jobs there are highly prized and I do not believe there is much turnover.

The area is not touristy, but busy with folks coming and going around the college.

The lake is nearby, but unless you live on it I am not aware of any public access points to it. The college does have it's own private beach area for students and faculty about 2 miles from campus which is gated.

Because of the college the town leans more liberal, but not in an obnoxious way.

Charlotte is not a bad drive, as long as you don't need to go there during rush hour. During rush hour it could potentially take you an hour - best case scenario would be about 40 minutes then. But in off peak hours it's a quick 25 minute trip.

If you can afford it, Davidson is a great, safe place to live!

Old 07-19-2010, 11:53 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,541,472 times
Thread relocated
from /north-carolina/
for better response

Old 07-19-2010, 03:28 PM

6 posts, read 12,435 times
Default Schools

In addition to my previous questions, how are the schools?
What sports are popular in the area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte