Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 10:23 AM

23 posts, read 27,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
It's clear that Blockbuster's basic business model is the same as the one it had in the early 1980s when it rented Nintendo carts and VCR tapes. This was back in the day before the internet, online anything and cable PPV. Customers either rented from BB or they purchased. They flourished in this environment as they were the only game in town and quickly put the mom & pops out of business which was their main competition. Flash forward 25 years and there are companies all over the place competing directly with Blockbuster either by automated low cost vending machines, mail, and the vast alternatives that are becoming available on-line due to advances in broadband technology, cheap storage, and processing power. Yet BB is still stuck with the 1980s distribution/sales model and this is why they are in trouble.

Blockbuster failed to anticipate this and in the past, when they were approached about doing a kiosk and/or something online, their executives soundly rejected it and the rest is history. They are going the way of record/CD stores as Netflix, Redbox, and the various online alternatives are going to eat their lunch.
Blockbusters basic business model is not the same!! They have completely transformed their corporate management and their business model. That is why they are closing unprofitable stores, rolling out thousands of kiosks and making a huge push to be the dominant player in the rapidly expanding video-on-demand market. If you think they have the same model you are uninformed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 10:30 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,208,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfan371 View Post
Blockbusters basic business model is not the same!! They have completely transformed their corporate management and their business model. That is why they are closing unprofitable stores, rolling out thousands of kiosks and making a huge push to be the dominant player in the rapidly expanding video-on-demand market. If you think they have the same model you are uninformed.
This is nothing more than corporate platitudes being uttered by a dying company that will say anything. Show me some business results and you might have a point. We are talking about movie rentals and it doesn't take that much thought to figure this out.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
This is nothing more than corporate platitudes being uttered by a dying company that will say anything. Show me some business results and you might have a point. We are talking about movie rentals and it doesn't take that much thought to figure this out.
You obviously have no clue what youre talking about. But nonetheless I will offer you business results. March SSS(comps) were up. Blockbuster had huge business on three titles that Netflix and Redbox did not get for 28 days. These titles were Blind Side, Sherlock Holmes, and Avatar. This is incredibly significant.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:39 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,321,070 times
What does it cost to rent a movie using the new Droid X Blockbuster app? Is it a per movie cost or can you get an unlimited subscription? I think the unlimited suscription model will be the standard in the future. Why use Blockbuster's service if its the same price as Cables on Demand. Anyone tried using an app like this in Charlotte on the 3G networks or the Sprint 4g network?

One other thing about making money streaming to a smart phone. Good quality movies are usually pretty large in size. If all cellular carriers follow AT&T in its data plan strategy then you probably won't see many people downloading movies unless they have access to a free Wifi network.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
What does it cost to rent a movie using the new Droid X Blockbuster app? Is it a per movie cost or can you get an unlimited subscription? I think the unlimited suscription model will be the standard in the future. Why use Blockbuster's service if its the same price as Cables on Demand. Anyone tried using an app like this in Charlotte on the 3G networks or the Sprint 4g network?

One other thing about making money streaming to a smart phone. Good quality movies are usually pretty large in size. If all cellular carriers follow AT&T in its data plan strategy then you probably won't see many people downloading movies unless they have access to a free Wifi network.
Exactly. Why use service if Cable on Demand is same price? This is why Blockbuster will likely merge their service with cable companies like Comcast who want access to BB large library of movies and its cozy relationship with major movie studios.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:47 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,699,024 times
Quote:
Seems as if you are a student doing research, you would be a little more open-minded and not so eager to expound on how wonderful Blockbuster is doing in just about every post. Just sayin...

Old 07-20-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Seems as if you are a student doing research, you would be a little more open-minded and not so eager to expound on how wonderful Blockbuster is doing in just about every post. Just sayin...
Im also a loyal customer. But its not about being open-minded. These are facts that I am presenting. Netflix and Redbox have been phenomenally successful and innovative. Despite that, and Blockbusters previous lack of forward-thinking it is incorrect to presume they are going bankrupt. On the contrary, they have really transformed and are unlikely to go bankrupt

Old 07-20-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
You obviously have no clue what youre talking about. ....
If your only defense is to say that anyone who disagrees with you is "misinformed", "has no idea what they are talking about", without actually addressing the points made, then you are not exactly making a case for your point of view. Son, my recommendation to you is that if you are in fact doing research for a school project or job, then you might want to put a bit more substance into it, or I would bet money your professor, team leader, boss, etc. won't be as kind to you as the long term forumers here. Forumers, who BTW, were willing to take the time to answer your questions.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
If your only defense is to say that anyone who disagrees with you is "misinformed", "has no idea what they are talking about", without actually addressing the points made isn't exactly making a case for their point of view. Son, my recommendation to you is that if you are in fact doing research for a school project or job, then you might want to put a bit more substance into it, or I would bet money your professor, team leader, boss, etc. won't be as kind to you as the long term forumers here. Forumers, who BTW, were willing to take the time to answer your questions.
Well what points do you want me to address because I believe I addressed all of them.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Well what points do you want me to address because I believe I addressed all of them.
I asked you to show some business results if you think they are doing a good job. In business, words are easy, but it is only the financial results that matter. You are making a case for a company, which I said earlier still relies far too much on it's 1980s business model, has pissed off huge numbers of customers, and which has let many rivals move in and take customers away with newer technology and relevant business models. On top of all that, they have a huge debt relative to their market cap.

So where are their business results? They were delisted from the NYSE just two weeks ago which is going to severely impact their ability to move forward. Sure they have some valuable assets, but assets don't keep a company from bankruptcy.

Talk is cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte