Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 11:56 AM

8 posts, read 19,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Have you looked at the 3 highly ranked elementary schools in Gastonia, which would be in the middle, but west of Charlotte?

The children in those 3 elementary schools will raise the rankings of the middle & high school as they progress through school. If you felt that they were not up to par, there is always Gaston Day School, which is private. According to their website, they have some students from Mecklenburg County. Welcome to Gaston Day School
I did not look at Gastonia at all. Would you please give me names of those 3 schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 12:09 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoveToCLT View Post
I did not look at Gastonia at all. Would you please give me names of those 3 schools?
This will get you to all 3. Bess is ranked 10. You could always check with the schools to see if they have gifted programs. You don't want the other schools in Gastonia. However, you can bet that as the children in these 3 schools progress through school, the parents will not tolerate bad schools, so they will bring up the rankings. Gastonia Schools - Gastonia North Carolina School Ratings - Public and Private

Old 07-19-2010, 05:50 PM

104 posts, read 309,369 times
My child goes to Metrolina Regional Scholars Academy and we like it. There are many programs in the CMS school system for the gifted student. I wil DM you with information.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:33 PM

8 posts, read 19,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
This will get you to all 3. Bess is ranked 10. You could always check with the schools to see if they have gifted programs. You don't want the other schools in Gastonia. However, you can bet that as the children in these 3 schools progress through school, the parents will not tolerate bad schools, so they will bring up the rankings. Gastonia Schools - Gastonia North Carolina School Ratings - Public and Private
Thanks southbound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atwl1011 View Post
My child goes to Metrolina Regional Scholars Academy and we like it. There are many programs in the CMS school system for the gifted student. I wil DM you with information.
atwl1011, Thank you so much. The info you've sent is exactly what I needed. I will be in touch on DMs with you. Do appreciate all the information you've sent. But yes, I do have tons of questions.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:19 AM

812 posts, read 1,908,628 times
Friends of mine that are Indian Dr's specifically chose Marvin/Waxhaw when they relocated to South Charlotte 2 yrs ago. I think the realtor they worked with helped them find an area/community that had a larger Indian population because her parents were going to be living with them and helping watch the kids and she wanted them to have native speakers/cultural comforts nearby. She hasn't mentioned not wanting to use the local schools.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:39 PM

370 posts, read 753,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I am not aware of any one school for gifted children only. (Have your children even been tested for this yet?)

You could search greatschools.net to read up on schools all over Charlotte.

There are actually several TD (gifted) magnets. Elementary has several and than middle and HS move to the IB curriculum.

I would suggest south Chalotte. (Providence Spring Elementary area)

Old 08-05-2010, 02:37 PM

443 posts, read 1,258,684 times
Montessori works well for gifted kids as the work meets the child where he or she is...but they are not stressed or pushed too much. Some parents, however, become frustrated when a child does not challenge himself and the teachers do not overly force the issue.

Be aware that A LOT of kids are given the label gifted and thus in some schools this simply means being pulled out a bit or given extra work. As a result, as your kids get older I would look to the IB programs which by their nature are challenging.

If you have true scholars, the CMS Horizons program is the way to go!

Taben

Old 08-05-2010, 04:55 PM

240 posts, read 732,265 times
Cool neighborhoods

We have a LOT of Indian families living in our neighborhood.
Southampton Commons which is located in South Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte