Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 02:45 PM

689 posts, read 1,656,484 times

Advertisements

I asked if you were new because for someone who has been coming here {and now living here} my whole life, it is just a part of the scenery. We don't have it as bad as Atlanta, though!
My dad said that when he was younger he would ride past some on the bus going to school. Each day or so it had noticeably grown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 02:49 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
An example of people moving to a location and not accepting things way they are and wanting to change it.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:16 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,782,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
An example of people moving to a location and not accepting things way they are and wanting to change it.
Sunny, I don't think that is true. This is not a good thing. It is killing all the trees in its path. Some day those beautiful views of the mountains will be changed forever. All around the landscaping will be changed...forever. The one friend I have down here that said she just thought it was green and never really paid attention. Now that I told her of the damage it is doing she said she never thought of that and now she is concerned. Some changes are a good thing. The bad change was when they introduce this plant to the area. I really hope you don't think this is really one of those examples of not accepting an area for what it is. This is your home and you should be concerned for things that are gong to change it for the worse. Just like pollution......it's not a good thing.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
It is horrible stuff. Many people don't really know much about it b/c they just ignore it and no one has told them that it is the most invasive stuff on the planet - and can grow up to a foot or more a DAY!

It is nearly impossible to eradicate once firmly established in an area. Even burning does not stop it.

I have wanted to pursue making biodiesel fuel from it as it is as renewable as anything could possibly be. It was at one time used for erosion control in this state, but that was before folks realized it is nearly impossible to control.

You can also eat it and make wine out of it . . . and the dried stems can be used in basket-making!

For anyone who has a clue how horrible the stuff is - it will ruin all vegetation and kill anything in its path - there is a lot of concern about areas that have kudzu. I think a lot of folks just don't have a clue, lol.
I have heard the weed killer Round Up is good for killing this stuff. Sounds like Kudzu abatement might be a good business to get into. I know some of the neighborhoods in my area have money set aside for such a thing.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:00 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,209,727 times
Kudzu has been here about as long as the Yankees. The likelihood of getting rid of it is about the same. (it's a joke, don't shoot me)

i happen to like the stuff. When I was in rural Japan the kudzu growing on the side of the road and light poles, just like here, was a nice reminder me of home.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
Sunny, I don't think that is true. This is not a good thing. It is killing all the trees in its path. Some day those beautiful views of the mountains will be changed forever. All around the landscaping will be changed...forever. The one friend I have down here that said she just thought it was green and never really paid attention. Now that I told her of the damage it is doing she said she never thought of that and now she is concerned. Some changes are a good thing. The bad change was when they introduce this plant to the area. I really hope you don't think this is really one of those examples of not accepting an area for what it is. This is your home and you should be concerned for things that are gong to change it for the worse. Just like pollution......it's not a good thing.
thats your opinion
from an outsider

Unless the tree is on your property dont worry about it but as a fellow
resident. I dont ewant my county taxes to go up because your annoyed

Kudzo does no harm heck it keeps wash out of the soil when it floods. Again it Erosion Control it is a beautiful plant.

It is a Good Thing as stated by all the locals who responded to this thread

Old 07-20-2010, 04:15 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,543,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
thats your opinion
from an outsider

Unless the tree is on your property dont worry about it but as a fellow
resident. I dont ewant my county taxes to go up because your annoyed

Kudzo does no harm heck it keeps wash out of the soil when it floods. Again it Erosion Control it is a beautiful plant.

It is a Good Thing as stated by all the locals who responded to this thread
As a resident of NC, Kudzo is horrible and will cover and kill anything in its path including many native plants and trees. It is not beautiful. Unfortunately it is almost impossible to control and kill.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:22 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,359,953 times
I think I saw a stop sign being overgrown by this stuff. Have to check my backyard now. Paranoid.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
As a resident of NC, Kudzo is horrible and will cover and kill anything in its path including many native plants and trees. It is not beautiful. Unfortunately it is almost impossible to control and kill.

thats your opinion but I love the stuff just like I dont like Cauliflower
I have oodles of Kudzu that I am happy it growing in my backyard.
It has so many positive uses for it.
The OP moved to Lincoln County and sounds like they want the county to
do something about it. Example move in and think of reason for the county
to raise taxes and not accepting.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:06 PM

I read where Kudzu releases chemicals into the air causing problems in the air, which is possibly why the air quality is so poor in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte