Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 11:31 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,784,218 times

Advertisements

Am I the only person that is concerned about this invasive vine or is this a concern for others too? Every time I drive by an area where there is Zudzo I get so aggravated and wonder why nothing is being done to control it. I was just wondering if I was the only one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 11:47 AM

689 posts, read 1,657,406 times
Are you new to the area?

Old 07-20-2010, 11:49 AM

I've been here for 2 years and it has been an issue for me since I moved here. I never really asked anyone about it until now. Thought is would be a good topic for discussion.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:50 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Lincoln County uses it for erosion control.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:51 AM

812 posts, read 1,908,247 times
It is about to ENGULF a small trailer on the backroad I take my kids to daycare. I think one small corner of the roof is all that is left.

I wish there was something besides goats EATING it that would eradicate it! They do have small flowers that smell good-- I have some kudzu flower candles/soap that smell amazing.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:52 AM

I have only spoken to 2 people about it. One is a friend born and raised here, she thought is was pretty and green. The other is a transplant who feels about it the same way I do. Just curious.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alise007 View Post
It is about to ENGULF a small trailer on the backroad I take my kids to daycare. I think one small corner of the roof is all that is left.

I wish there was something besides goats EATING it that would eradicate it! They do have small flowers that smell good-- I have some kudzu flower candles/soap that smell amazing.
I heard a woman ran off the road in her car and wasn't found for a few days because the car was under all the Zudzu.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:15 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
It is horrible stuff. Many people don't really know much about it b/c they just ignore it and no one has told them that it is the most invasive stuff on the planet - and can grow up to a foot or more a DAY!

It is nearly impossible to eradicate once firmly established in an area. Even burning does not stop it.

I have wanted to pursue making biodiesel fuel from it as it is as renewable as anything could possibly be. It was at one time used for erosion control in this state, but that was before folks realized it is nearly impossible to control.

You can also eat it and make wine out of it . . . and the dried stems can be used in basket-making!

For anyone who has a clue how horrible the stuff is - it will ruin all vegetation and kill anything in its path - there is a lot of concern about areas that have kudzu. I think a lot of folks just don't have a clue, lol.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:26 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
Am I the only person that is concerned about this invasive vine or is this a concern for others too? Every time I drive by an area where there is Zudzo I get so aggravated and wonder why nothing is being done to control it. I was just wondering if I was the only one.
I fight it on my property. Poison ivy/kudzu spray is my friend. Beyond my property, there is nothing that I can do about it, so I look at it as something green.

I have yanked the stuff up & made wreaths (like a grapevine wreath) & let it dry, then burned it. It comes from a neighbor's partially wooded property & some vacant, city owned property behind me. Once it gets going, though, I forget the niceties & toss it into piles to dry, then burn it, & then haul out the spray.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:17 PM

371 posts, read 1,102,255 times
The Amazing Story of Kudzu

As a North Carolina native, this thread made me giggle a little bit. I guess if you grow up here, you just get used to it.

Trying to get rid of it is about as useless as emptying Lake Norman with a spoon. I grew up on a farm where we tried to keep it back constantly...someone said it, goats love the stuff...that's how we kept it back.

I found the link above to give everyone the history of Kudzu. It's a pretty interesting site. You can thank the Japenese for this lovely addition to our landscape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte