Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 05:33 AM

540 posts, read 1,706,810 times

Advertisements

I will have an "expert" opinion on this in about 4 weeks. I'll be going to home/property damage estimate training for 2 weeks in august.

I can tell you 2 things: 1. No claim for roof damage goes uninspected
2. These are predatory roofing companies, not looking to help you, but help themselves.

From my initial training, I can deduce that minor hail damage will not affact the operation of your roof one bit, but when you can see spots where the grit has come off, you need to start looking at repairs.

If you cant see if for yourself, it's probably not bad enough to need the work.

Also, you will be responsible for your deductible AND depreciation based on the age of the roof, so unless you get something signed from the roofing company saying you pay NOTHING, you could be in for a surprise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 08:54 AM

689 posts, read 1,657,729 times
I had my roof replaced due to that storm (it was on Good Friday in 2009) I had absolutely no problems and my insurance did not increase. I have a nice looking roof to boot.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:40 PM

550 posts, read 1,809,353 times
One of the homes on my street got a new roof through this deal - I wasn't impressed with the workmanship where the shingles meet the house...
Sometimes, you get what you pay for.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:54 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,215,667 times
All new roof installs will look good enough for the homeowner to sign off on. However, as I said earlier, the problems with a bad roof install won't become apparent for several years. The danger isn't in the leaks you can see, but the real slow leaks that cause roof plates to rot, black mold to start developing in walls, and any other problem caused by moisture where it shouldn't be. Shingles that were broken by overly aggressive nail guns (which shouldn't be used at all) won't start falling off until the roof goes through a couple of years weather.

This is why it is hugely important to go with someone who has an established reputation in this area for putting up roofs. Outfits like that don't get involved in the "hail damage" scam. Oh and if the scammer gets arrested and makes a deal with authorities, do you think they won't rat out their "customers" who were in this with them?

Old 07-25-2010, 09:34 PM

55 posts, read 76,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestem View Post
but when you can see spots where the grit has come off, you need to start looking at repairs.
My gutter drains are almost clogged with grit from my roof shingles. I cleaned my gutters two months ago and the troughs are already lined with grit.

Filed a claim with my insurance company and they're coming out to inspect soon. I called a local, family owned roofing co myself because of these observations (I turn away the door to door types), and they said there is hail damage, and other storm damage, but I'm still a little anxious about whether or not the claim is going to be approved.

Also - I have a bonus room over my garage and an attic storage space behind it that get quite hot - the roofer suggested that I vent that space at additional cost. This seems to make perfect sense, but I don't have any experience with this. Any pointers?

Old 07-26-2010, 11:54 AM

198 posts, read 642,312 times
It doesn't take a whole lot to file a claim with your insurance company. You call them, they send out an adjuster to do an estimate, they cut you a check for roughly half the amount to begin with, then the send you the remainder after the work is done and you provide invoices to prove the final amount. I've never known an insurance company to pay out for a new roof without sending an adjuster out to check. And it's definitely not insurance fraud if your roof was, indeed, damaged by hail and your own insurance company verifies that it's a valid claim.

The fact that some roofing companies are offering to file the claim for you is not enough of an incentive IMO to choose a company I know nothing about. When my roof was damaged in the hail storm a few months ago, I had my contractor install the new roof for me, and he absorbed the cost of my deductible as well as an upgrade to 30-year architectural shingles. The work was done well, promptly, and by someone I completely trust. There's no reason to pick one of the door-to-door companies when all the reputable companies will do the same work for the same price (or better), and have a solid reputation for good work to boot.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:17 PM

2 posts, read 3,801 times
Default Deductible

Quote:
Originally Posted by DipDog3 View Post
The companies I talked with would also pay the deductible if we went with them. So it would cost nothing out of pocket to get a new roof.
Be very careful of any company offering to pay your deductible. That is very serious insurance fraud. And if there are roofing companies out there doing this they will not be in business long. Dont hire dishonest companies. They wont take care of you, if you ever have a problem. And if a company has to give away money to get your business, be very careful!

Old 11-18-2010, 09:22 PM

2 posts, read 3,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM08 View Post
It doesn't take a whole lot to file a claim with your insurance company. You call them, they send out an adjuster to do an estimate, they cut you a check for roughly half the amount to begin with, then the send you the remainder after the work is done and you provide invoices to prove the final amount. I've never known an insurance company to pay out for a new roof without sending an adjuster out to check. And it's definitely not insurance fraud if your roof was, indeed, damaged by hail and your own insurance company verifies that it's a valid claim.

The fact that some roofing companies are offering to file the claim for you is not enough of an incentive IMO to choose a company I know nothing about. When my roof was damaged in the hail storm a few months ago, I had my contractor install the new roof for me, and he absorbed the cost of my deductible as well as an upgrade to 30-year architectural shingles. The work was done well, promptly, and by someone I completely trust. There's no reason to pick one of the door-to-door companies when all the reputable companies will do the same work for the same price (or better), and have a solid reputation for good work to boot.
First of all, a roofing company cant file an insurance claim for someone else unless they are on there policy. The person or persons on the policy are the only ones that can file a claim. The roofing company can assist the insured with filing a claim.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:24 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,966,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InSouthPark View Post
I know for a fact that State Farm does indeed come out and inspect your roof.
I agree. State Farm came out to inspect my roof & interior walls for water damage sustained from high winds. While he said that they wouldn't pay for a new roof he did say that they'd pay to repair water damage.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:53 PM

7 posts, read 15,992 times
Why wouldn't you? How is that bad business? Don't all companies go out to find legit work? Do you complain when you get a flyer from a grocery store trying to get you to come in because something is on sell that week? I don't think a company that tries to bring in business by informing homeowners of a storm means they are all shady. I don't think putting in a little foot work makes a company terrible or not reputable. Just like anything in life, educate yourself before doing anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte