Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2010, 12:31 AM
oaw oaw started this thread

10 posts, read 11,825 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My wife and I are planning on a move to the US for work and family, but are unsure on where we would be the best place to move, amongst other places, Charlotte is one of the areas that seems to be a reasonable place for work. I am a business intelligence consultant and my wife is a designer, we have been advised that Visa's shouldn't be a problem, only dependant on getting a job offer.

From a location point of view we currently live in Sydney, Australia so we love the ocean, but we also love the mountains and Desert (we are both photographers by hobby). I would be interested in any feedback on Charlotte and the suburban area's around it from a livability point of view, safety, schools, etc. We also have 4 pets that we would be bringing with us.

Cheers and thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 07:42 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,964,041 times
I think Charlotte would suit you well. You can be at the beach/ocean in around 3.5 hours and the mountains in about 2 hours. It's a nice place to live. As far as schools go I would pay close attention to what district you would be in around Mecklenburg county. There are some great ones and some poor ones. Cabarrus has some good schools and lower taxes than Mecklenburg.

Charlotte has some crime issues as well as gang problems, but that's just like any city in the US. We are north of the city and haven't had any big crime issues. Last summer a few cars in the neighborhood were broken into and they stole GPS units, Ipods, and whatever else they could see. The work of teenagers. Outside of that we live in a neighborhood where you can go to the neighborhood park or pool and leave you garage door open and all your stuff is there when you get back.

Some areas to check out are Huntersville, Concord, Cornelius, Mooresville, Harrrisburg, University/Mallard Creek area. Neighborhoods: Highland Creek, Skybrook, Birkdale Village area, Winding Walk.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:40 AM

416 posts, read 928,401 times
I was in Sydney last year. Beautiful. Since its located on the coast, the 3.5-4 hour drive to our beaches might be a disappointment. Mountains much closer to Charlotte than the beach, but you can be in the Blue Mountains outside of Sydney in about an hour by rail, so again, may be some disappointment in the travel time to get there (although the mountains near Charlotte are a much easier day trip than the beach).

Old 07-26-2010, 09:17 PM

211 posts, read 501,664 times
I went to sydney over christmas and I wish I could move there than being here! like gumbo said you would be disappointed.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:24 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,384,109 times
The United States is a good country to move to. It has a nice zoo, a good movie theater,a good restaurant, and a good hospital!!

Old 07-27-2010, 11:08 AM

701 posts, read 1,429,738 times
Since you've made the exact same post on the Texas, San Jose, Massachusetts, Phoenix, Washington, Portland, Denver and San Diego forums, it sounds like you really don't know what you're looking for. Identify what's important to you and then post to a general U.S. forum.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:17 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,362,207 times
I was in Sydney back in 2000 for work and absolutely loved it! Beautiful area . I think you will find Charlotte to be similar in terms of amenities although the ocean is a bit further away. Good luck with your decision and future move.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:26 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,966,617 times
Charlotte is nothing like Sydney. If you had family here that might make the transition easier. Best of luck whatever you decide!

Old 07-27-2010, 02:16 PM

308 posts, read 618,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmanak View Post
I went to sydney over christmas and I wish I could move there than being here! like gumbo said you would be disappointed.
You must not have completely read what Gumbo said. He mentioned travel times to the mountains being shorter in Sydney. He didn't say that the subscriber would be disappointed in anything else.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:42 PM

211 posts, read 501,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomerfromuk View Post
You must not have completely read what Gumbo said. He mentioned travel times to the mountains being shorter in Sydney. He didn't say that the subscriber would be disappointed in anything else.

hi thank you for the lovely "compliment" and yes in fact i read it and i dont think he would find this place something like he desires in sydney as, bondi beach is accessible by bus and we dont have that in clt.

thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte