Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 03:01 PM

24 posts, read 57,800 times

Advertisements

So we moved to Charlotte about a year ago and love all the local events. However, there is nothing like the excitement of a roadtrip and getting to your final destination. What are some of your favorite places to visit within a short driving distance from Charlotte?

I'll share ours: Asheville, NC ~ about a 2 hour drive

We fell in love with Asheville after hiking Mount Mitchelle. Its probably our favorite drive just because we know we'll have an excellent meal once we get there. There are so many vegetarian friendly restaurants that offer scrumptious food. Plus being able to walk to most of the breweries is awesome!

Some of our favorite spots include: The Laughing seed, LAB, The Green Sage, Jack of the Wood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 03:49 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,947,412 times
I was going to say Boston, but its a little bit farther away.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:59 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Stone Mountain State Park (fun to watch the rock climbers and hike up to the granite dome on the top)

Tablerock Mountain (great view of Linville Gorge from the top)

Linville Falls (spectactular)

Grandfather Mountain (the backside trails are my favorite)

Roan Mountain (on the TN/NC line)

Virginia Creeper Bike Trail (you don't have to be a biker, it's all downhill and thru incredibly beautiful scenery)

Charleston (fantastic food, very romantic)

Mt. Airy (old downtown Main Steet -great shops)

Hunting Island State Park (SC - great beach camping)

The Outer Banks (love the solitude in the winter and enjoy the ferry rides)

Statesville's balloon rally (at the old airport every fall)

Lake Lure and Chimney Rock (what a great weekend trip for hiking, swimming, just relaxing)

Shelton Winery

Blowing Rock (just a quaint place to grab a meal and stroll the streets or do some shopping).

Merle Fest in Wilkesboro (a damn fine music festival for blue grass and old timey music lovers)

Pilot Mountain State Park (for hiking)

Old 08-31-2010, 04:05 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,133,288 times
Loves - what a fantastic list! I'm actually saving it on my computer so I an visit some of the places I haven't seen yet!

I mentioned the Virginia Creeper Trail to my husband (he's a mountain biker, I just have a cruiser) a few months ago and we would both love to do it. I'm kind of paranoid about going fast on my bike. Since it's all downhill, do you get going really fast? How steep is it?

Old 08-31-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Loves - what a fantastic list! I'm actually saving it on my computer so I an visit some of the places I haven't seen yet!

I mentioned the Virginia Creeper Trail to my husband (he's a mountain biker, I just have a cruiser) a few months ago and we would both love to do it. I'm kind of paranoid about going fast on my bike. Since it's all downhill, do you get going really fast? How steep is it?
YOU HAVE GOT TO DO IT! Don't be paranoid, even little kids do it on their bikes. You really don't go flying down the mountain, it's a very gradual grade with only some pedaling required

And the scenery is just so awesome - don't miss it, you'll love it!

Old 08-31-2010, 04:45 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
Im going to provide photos for some of the great recommendations above

Once the leaves peak in the Mountains head up to Mount Airy
Take 77 up but take 52 to 85 back so you can Swing by Pilot Mountain
//www.city-data.com/forum/north-carolina/794565-pilot-mountain-mt-airy-photos.html
I will warn you if you want to see the downtown active go during the Morning
the town shuts down at 2p.m. Its Mayberry after all.

Then stop by Old Salem Old Salem Museums and Gardens | Home Page
while you are in Winston go check the next best mansion in this state the Reynaulda House
unlike Biltmore you can go at your own pace with audible tour. It also muesum for American Art.
You will more likely cross students doing a quiet school projects. It also has a botanical Garden
nurtured by Wake Forest . Directions
To finalize your trip stop by Mrs Hanes Cookies who makes home made Moravian cookie
Tours are welcome Mrs. Hanes' Cookies | Pictorial Tour

After Thanksgiving go view the Festival Of Lights also in Winston area
Spoiler
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u35eLUNTu3o

Other than Carolina Beach Nothing is Finer than to watch a Carolina Sunset
at the Outer Banks See these two threads to understand my passion for these places //www.city-data.com/forum/coast...ks-photos.html

Outer Banks recommendation on things to do //www.city-data.com/forum/12804188-post4.html

Stone Mountain also one of my favorites //www.city-data.com/forum/weste...hoto-tour.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/north...-carolina.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/north...ust-do-nc.html

Old 08-31-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Im going to provide photos for some of the great recommendations above

Once the leaves peak in the Mountains head up to Mount Airy
Take 77 up but take 52 to 85 back so you can Swing by Pilot Mountain
//www.city-data.com/forum/north-carolina/794565-pilot-mountain-mt-airy-photos.html
I will warn you if you want to see the downtown active go during the Morning
the town shuts down at 2p.m. Its Mayberry after all.

Then stop by Old Salem Old Salem Museums and Gardens | Home Page
while you are in Winston go check the next best mansion in this state the Reynaulda House
unlike Biltmore you can go at your own pace with audible tour. It also muesum for American Art.
You will more likely cross students doing a quiet school projects. It also has a botanical Garden
nurtured by Wake Forest . Directions
To finalize your trip stop by Mrs Hanes Cookies who makes home made Moravian cookie
Tours are welcome Mrs. Hanes' Cookies | Pictorial Tour

After Thanksgiving go view the Festival Of Lights also in Winston area
Spoiler
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u35eLUNTu3o

Other than Carolina Beach Nothing is Finer than to watch a Carolina Sunset
at the Outer Banks See these two threads to understand my passion for these places //www.city-data.com/forum/coast...ks-photos.html

Outer Banks recommendation on things to do //www.city-data.com/forum/12804188-post4.html

Stone Mountain also one of my favorites //www.city-data.com/forum/weste...hoto-tour.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/north...-carolina.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/north...ust-do-nc.html

Sunny, so funny you mention Mt. Airy! I was just there today and took pics to post here to encourage people to visit!

Old 08-31-2010, 05:18 PM

I love old Main St in Mt. Airy. The shops are great and chock full of neat stuff. I got a little early Christmas shopping in today

Old 08-31-2010, 08:28 PM

644 posts, read 1,430,189 times
Myrtle Beach and Atlanta

Old 09-01-2010, 06:00 AM

24 posts, read 57,800 times
This list is awesome! Can't wait for the weekend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte