Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 09:02 AM

841 posts, read 2,475,625 times

Advertisements

Looking for something to do this weekend with my 2 kids (ages 12 &13) that is free. I looked through SunnyKayak's sticky, but everything seems to have an admission fee. I am not looking to do anything extravagant, just something fun and free to get us out of the house this weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 09:23 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,750,974 times
YIASOU GREEK FESTIVAL
Admission is $2.00. Children 12 and under are admitted free, accompanied by a parent or guardian.
Features Hellenic cultural exhibits, authentic Greek cuisine and pastries, entertainment, art, shopping and more. Experience the sights and sounds of Greece when you visit the 33rd Annual Yiasou Greek Festival.
More info: Yiasou Greek Festival
Kids Area: For Kids (http://www.yiasoufestival.org/kids.htm - broken link)

GANTTFEST!
Ages: All, Costs: All GanttFest! activities are free
The 1st annual GanttFest! is a full-day celebration of the arts. Guided tours of exhibitions, storytelling, spoken word, dance, music and other live performances are scheduled throughout the day.

TIME WARNER CABLE BBQ & BLUES FESTIVAL
FREE General Admission
There are many activities for all to enjoy! We will have pig races, official tailgating games (swerve, washer toss, bag toss and mini bag toss. FREE to play and the perfect score wins $10,000!), blues bands, cooking demos, Breyers ice cream sampling truck, and much more!
Link: Find Your Center - Things to Do - Time Warner Cable BBQ & Blues
Map: http://files.charlottecentercity.org/BBQ2010-OfficialProgram.pdf (broken link)

Old 09-09-2010, 10:29 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,653,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Hey, didn't this used to be called "Blues, Brews & BBQ"? Guess they didn't want to promote (*gasp*) alcohol this time around.

Thanks for those links, CarolinaBlue!

Old 09-09-2010, 10:31 AM

841 posts, read 2,475,625 times
These look like fun things to do. I work right on the corner of Trade/Tryon and had no idea the TWC BBQ was going on around here this weekend! Thanks for the ideas!

Old 09-09-2010, 10:48 AM

140 posts, read 272,409 times
If I take the light rail, would I get off at the Convention Center station for the BBQ & Blues event? Thanks.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:13 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Cabarrus County fair is free on Saturday from 1-3 pm. Also on Sunday if you donate 4 canned goods you get free admission for one adult and 2 children. I just went and bought a four pack of soup from Walmart for $2.

This doesn't include the rides, but there's plenty of other things to see and do at the fair.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:25 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
YIASOU GREEK FESTIVAL
Admission is $2.00. Children 12 and under are admitted free, accompanied by a parent or guardian.
Features Hellenic cultural exhibits, authentic Greek cuisine and pastries, entertainment, art, shopping and more. Experience the sights and sounds of Greece when you visit the 33rd Annual Yiasou Greek Festival.
More info: Yiasou Greek Festival
Kids Area: For Kids (http://www.yiasoufestival.org/kids.htm - broken link)

GANTTFEST!
Ages: All, Costs: All GanttFest! activities are free
The 1st annual GanttFest! is a full-day celebration of the arts. Guided tours of exhibitions, storytelling, spoken word, dance, music and other live performances are scheduled throughout the day.

FREE General Admission
There are many activities for all to enjoy! We will have pig races, official tailgating games (swerve, washer toss, bag toss and mini bag toss. FREE to play and the perfect score wins $10,000!), blues bands, cooking demos, Breyers ice cream sampling truck, and much more!
Link: Find Your Center - Things to Do - Time Warner Cable BBQ & Blues
Map: http://files.charlottecentercity.org/BBQ2010-OfficialProgram.pdf (broken link)
Ahh! Too many things that I want to do this weekend! Why does it all have to be at once? Between these three things and the Cabarrus County Fair I'm going to have a full weekend.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:32 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,655,777 times
And doesn't the NC Mountain State Fair (Fletcher) kick-off this weekend?

Old 09-09-2010, 02:29 PM

128 posts, read 272,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexih View Post
If I take the light rail, would I get off at the Convention Center station for the BBQ & Blues event? Thanks.
Yea, I'd get off there... You'll just walk a few blocks to the event.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:46 PM

140 posts, read 272,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbull75 View Post
Yea, I'd get off there... You'll just walk a few blocks to the event.
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte