Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2007, 12:50 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,737,076 times

Advertisements

I am trying to do a little research on CMS. (I am trying to get a job in an elementary school. I have had interviews in other counties, but I am getting impatient. I have applied to all the local county's school systems, but I am now going to start mailing information to principals directly, in hopes to speed this process up.) Out of the six school districts, is there any that are less desirable? I have worked with high risk students in the past, but I am thinking that the stress of a move (all alone-no family) + the stress of my first year teaching + the extra stress of high risk students may equal a little to much for me to handle all at once! From the little I know of Mecklenburg County, I think I am correct in assuming that districts 1 and 6 are more of the "hot spot" areas. I think. Any help would be much appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 12:56 PM

928 posts, read 3,853,660 times
My spouse is job hunting too and I advise to be careful for Bruns Academy they are one of the highest risk schools CMS Elementary Schools, and some of the schools on the East and West Side, if you do the work and look them up you can ask which to avoid.

Sadly, CMS could hire right up until the first week of school so it will add to your stress load. We are currently going through the same thing in my family.

Some of the counties that are surrounding are Gaston, Lincolon, Clevelanda, Cabarrus, Catabawa, Rowan, Mooresville, and many more. If you look at CMS's website if the school is a focus or equity school that means they are at risk students so the stress level is higher.

You may just luck out. Are you specifically looking for the charlotte metro area or are you open to other avenues, there are so many counties here. Raleigh, Durham and Cary always need teachers and they are yankee hot spots.

Good Luck. Sorry I don't know the CMS districts either.

Old 06-30-2007, 01:26 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,266,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XNYgirl View Post
Raleigh, Durham and Cary always need teachers and they are yankee hot spots.
What does that mean? Is a yankee hot spot a good thing or a bad thing?

Last edited by NCDave; 06-30-2007 at 03:00 PM..

Old 06-30-2007, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post
What does that mean? Is a yankee hot spot a good thing or a bad thing?
NCDave - it depends on if you want to go to a yankee hot spot. I believe Jaynaire is from Michigan and this might fit here needs.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:19 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,737,076 times
My requirement is a flight back home for under $350! Preferably under $300. I lean slightly more to the Charlotte area (I have applied in all the surrounding counties, but I am getting sick of waiting which is why I plan on pestering those in Mecklenburg County. I have pestered all the other counties to no avail). I tend to lean more to Charlotte because I know a few people in the area. Raleigh flights are a bit more. I did interview in Davidson County. Flights from Greensboro are cheaper than flights from CLT.

Old 07-01-2007, 02:49 AM

Good Plan Jaynaire - A flight away is always a good thing.
Charlotte has Air Tran and Jet Blue now. I know they fly back to NY where I'm from, but the longer I'm away the less I desire to visit (lack of family support). You will find so many people who are in a similar position as yourself down here.

I hear you on the job front. A nice lady from CMS (an administrator) told me that they do not know their exact numbers for hiring yet as they still are sifting through the growth numbers, teacher transfers, student enrollment and retirements. I know other's have disagreed with me when I posted this, but I trust what this admin has to say. We are in the same holding pattern as you are.

He has interviewed with HR at all the counties close to Charlotte, gotten in his letters of reference, licensure, recomendation, transcript, etc. He's had a few interviews but nothing that has turned into an offer. I feel your pain. We are in such a holding pattern ourselves not knowing where we he's going to be working, if we will need to move to another county, we have elementary aged child we have to attend for her schooling needs.

The good thing is were local so we don't have to do the ardious move, but it's something that you'd like to plan for a little before it happens. I know many teachers get hired in April and May during the recruting. I was also told that alot of the out of state teachers fall through at the last minute, mostly licensure things. This often opens up the last minute opportunties.

However, I just wanted to let you know, your not alone. Our nerves are wracked waiting too. I just don't get it, if there's a teacher shortage, where are the jobs? Besides Bruns Street Academy in Uptown Charlotte. I just wanted to show you some support and I understand where your coming from.
It will all fall into place, but these things take more time and patience then we can stand from a human stand point sometimes.

Old 07-01-2007, 03:20 PM

87 posts, read 329,321 times
Charlotte is a big metro area, take a chance across the border in Rock Hill and Fort Mill. I did and got a job. NOt to mention when you get your national certificate, they give the biggest incentive (10k) for 10 years.

Old 07-01-2007, 11:52 PM

543 posts, read 1,825,849 times
There aew a few new people in our development that got immediate hired for some of the 'better' meck schools on thier first interviews. Not sure if you are actually here but having an NC address makes a big difference.

From what I'm reading most of the charlotte area counties are desperate for teachers but a lot have a two year lock in period so be careful where you accept a position at. Keep an eye out for teacher job fairs as they seem to hire 50%+ of the people that are qualified and show up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte