Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2010, 04:09 PM

21 posts, read 66,195 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm a senior in college and will likely be going down to central america to get my master's in translation, but after that I'll be coming back up to the US to try and find a job and a place to live. I've been looking around in several different places in NC (and am basically posting this same thread in each place). Basically, my questions are these:

-I'll have a master's in translation and will hopefully be working closely with the Latino population in the area; are they a major part of the community? Will I be able to find work? What's the general attitude in the area so far as the latinos go?

-I also want to go somewhere that's fairly gay-friendly, or as close as you can get in the south. I've grown up in southern VA where it's not the best atmosphere, so that'll definitely be a factor. Is there much of a gay community in the area? Again, what's the general attitude?

I'm just trying to get a general feel for places as of now, and might do some traveling this summer after I graduate. So any thoughts are much appreciated!

Thanks,

Sarah
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 01:11 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,392,806 times
There is a large latino presence from what I've seen and certain latino neighborhoods and areas. You should be able to make a good living off of spanish translations in Charlotte. You're more than welcome to google population statistics, but from personal observation, there seems to be a lot in even in concentrated areas and neighborhoods.

And people in Charlotte are friendly towards gay people. There are lots of gay people in Charlotte - all nice - and people as a whole generally seem to be accepting or either they don't care. That's not to say there are no homophobic people in Charlotte. I'm sure there are people who hate muslims, Blacks, Whites, Christians, jews, etc. In other words, it shouldn't be a problem being gay in Charlotte.

When do you plan on making your move back from Central America?

Old 11-26-2010, 04:29 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,702,805 times
Default Ayudame here as I am totally confused

What does gay friendly have to do with one's master's degree?

What does having a degree in translation have to do with the pop. of Latinos? They speak the language. You speak the language. Aren't you translating for a non-speaking latinos in a business community that needs this type of service?

Old 11-26-2010, 07:13 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,392,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
What does gay friendly have to do with one's master's degree?

What does having a degree in translation have to do with the pop. of Latinos? They speak the language. You speak the language. Aren't you translating for a non-speaking latinos in a business community that needs this type of service?

Gay friendly doesn't have to do with a Master's degree. He never made a correlation between the two.

If there was little to no latino population in Charlotte, then Charlotte wouldn't be a very promising city to work as a Spanish translator in. Would you suggest him go to a city with little to no Spanish speaking population to go be a Spanish translator or a city with a decent population of Latinos to become a Spanish translator.

There - from what I have seen - is a nice demand for Spanish translators in the area. Obviously, this does have to do with the decent sized Latino population. If there was no latinos in the city, I couldn't see the need for a Spanish translator here.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GayCharlotteGuy View Post
Gay friendly doesn't have to do with a Master's degree. He never made a correlation between the two.

If there was little to no latino population in Charlotte, then Charlotte wouldn't be a very promising city to work as a Spanish translator in. Would you suggest him go to a city with little to no Spanish speaking population to go be a Spanish translator or a city with a decent population of Latinos to become a Spanish translator.

There - from what I have seen - is a nice demand for Spanish translators in the area. Obviously, this does have to do with the decent sized Latino population. If there was no latinos in the city, I couldn't see the need for a Spanish translator here.
In HIS case there is a correlation (read Para 3) where it clearly states that a gay friendly community was of great importance to him (and how he uses his education of a Master's).

As far as the issue of the Latino community my view is as follows:
The issue is in a highly populated community of Spanish speaking people that are NOT dealing with issues of commerce ie;shipping, international law, etc. is there a need for translation at the level of Master's degree?

That is my question as I absolutely don't know the answer. Perhaps you know better about career advancement and demographics and therefore should give a more detailed answer to this man's question.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:36 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,143,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
In HIS case there is a correlation (read Para 3) where it clearly states that a gay friendly community was of great importance to him (and how he uses his education of a Master's).
I'm gonna go ahead and guess that Sarah is a "she", not a "he". And no, she didn't make a correlation between having a Master's degree and wanting to know if Charlotte is gay-friendly. Not even in "Para 3", as you call it. I would think that anyone who is actually trying to understand the post would easily see that she wants to live in a place where she can use her translating skills. And she wants to live in a city that is gay-friendly. Nothing at all difficult to understand in her post. Her "Para 3" makes no reference at all to a master's degree. It does state that a gay-friendly is important, but again, totally different paragraph than anything that mentions a master's degree. See? Two different things. Wants to use her masters. Wants a gay-friendly city. Easy, right? That is, if you really do want to understand.

Maybe another example will help illustrate it for you. When I was planning to move here, two factors I examined were entertainment (pro and college sports, music venues, parks) and the demand for irrigation workers. Does that mean I saw a correlation between the two? Of course not. The irrigation industry was important to me for my work life. The sports and parks were important to me for my personal life. One had nothing to do with the other. Clear now?

Old 11-27-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm View Post
I'm gonna go ahead and guess that Sarah is a "she", not a "he". And no, she didn't make a correlation between having a Master's degree and wanting to know if Charlotte is gay-friendly. Not even in "Para 3", as you call it. I would think that anyone who is actually trying to understand the post would easily see that she wants to live in a place where she can use her translating skills. And she wants to live in a city that is gay-friendly. Nothing at all difficult to understand in her post. Her "Para 3" makes no reference at all to a master's degree. It does state that a gay-friendly is important, but again, totally different paragraph than anything that mentions a master's degree. See? Two different things. Wants to use her masters. Wants a gay-friendly city. Easy, right? That is, if you really do want to understand.

Maybe another example will help illustrate it for you. When I was planning to move here, two factors I examined were entertainment (pro and college sports, music venues, parks) and the demand for irrigation workers. Does that mean I saw a correlation between the two? Of course not. The irrigation industry was important to me for my work life. The sports and parks were important to me for my personal life. One had nothing to do with the other. Clear now?
Nope. You read it your way and I will read it my way. Kind of like going to a museum isn't it? You see the art presented one way and I MAY see it another way.Simply because you interpet it one way (her post) does not mean in any way I am lacking reading comprehesion skills and shouldn't be inferred.

Clear now?

Old 11-27-2010, 02:40 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,143,264 times
Like butter.

I'm not the one having trouble understanding.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:30 PM

Default Hope this helps you

Sarah----I did a little of research on your question and thought the following link may be of help:

Interpreters and Translators

Old 11-27-2010, 06:09 PM

21 posts, read 66,195 times
Thanks for all the replies - didn't expect such a riot, LOL.

To clarify, the correlation between having a Master's in translation and the Latino population is exactly what was stated above - where there are Latinos, I will find work. And though a lot of the translating work I might do would not necessarily require education at the Master's level, it definitely would if I wanted to work in, say, a lawyer's office, or in the courts, or in a hospital. Those kinds of jobs generally pay better, and are in high demand, but require some sort of certification - a Master's in translation doesn't necessarily mean I'll be dealing with "higher-level" topics like shipping and commerce, it just cetifies that I know what I'm doing and have had formal training. Just knowing the language definitely isn't enough - that's where things can get majorly screwed up in interpretation, as I've seen many a time.

So to get off my soapbox now.....basically, there is definitely a correlation between Latino population and me getting a job with my master's.

As for the gay population - no correlation there, I just don't want to live in a hostile environment! As stated above, I haven't lived in the friendliest of places, and just want to know a bit about the area itself, not necessarily related to my master's or to work.

But thanks for the info - I definitely want to come give it a visit sometime soon to check it out for myself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: