Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 07:36 PM

841 posts, read 2,482,766 times

Advertisements

My MIL financed a used 2005 Chevy Cobalt 2 years ago. Unfortunately, she is having financial difficulties right now due to a job loss and cannot afford to make payments on her car anymore and the bank won't work with her. I looked up her Kelley Blue Book value and her car is worth about $5,000 less than what she owes. Is this something she can use to her advantage? Anyone have any advice as to how she can get around this? Any special programs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 09:38 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,302,718 times
If she is $5K upside down on that car, there's probably not much she can do. I can't imagine a bank or anyone else refinancing her because of that. When I was in that situation many years ago the finance company (not a bank) allowed me to move a few of my payments to the end of the contract, at significant expense to me. But at least I kept my truck, and didn't completely wreck my credit.

Maybe she needs to go farther up the chain at her bank.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:59 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,790,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
If she is $5K upside down on that car, there's probably not much she can do. I can't imagine a bank or anyone else refinancing her because of that. When I was in that situation many years ago the finance company (not a bank) allowed me to move a few of my payments to the end of the contract, at significant expense to me. But at least I kept my truck, and didn't completely wreck my credit.

Maybe she needs to go farther up the chain at her bank.
The worse part though from what I picked up was that there was no job. Without that I don't see much hope. If they can't get work before the repo man gets there then bankruptcy is the only delay tactic but of course that's much worse on the credit report.

If the car gets repo'd it's going to go to auction and be sold for even less than it's trade in value. The bank will bill for the difference. So this could end up being several thousand dollars more expensive than just the $5K.

Unless the gap can be closed ASAP and the car sold to stop the bleeding it doesn't look very good.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
The worse part though from what I picked up was that there was no job. Without that I don't see much hope. If they can't get work before the repo man gets there then bankruptcy is the only delay tactic but of course that's much worse on the credit report.

If the car gets repo'd it's going to go to auction and be sold for even less than it's trade in value. The bank will bill for the difference. So this could end up being several thousand dollars more expensive than just the $5K.

Unless the gap can be closed ASAP and the car sold to stop the bleeding it doesn't look very good.
All good points. I remember not knowing any of that when I had my problems years ago. I also remember it being expensive to move those payments out, almost as much as the payments themselves, but it bought me enough time to get back on track, mostly. I ended up trashing my credit later anyway.

Kids-don't wreck your credit.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:02 PM

3,069 posts, read 9,168,032 times
I assume she has insurance on it that will pay it off if the car is "wrecked"..Accidents happen you know.Cars also get stolen all the time and left destroyed.I hope she doesn't forget and leave her keys in it while parked in the "wrong" neighborhood.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:25 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,878,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
I assume she has insurance on it that will pay it off if the car is "wrecked"..Accidents happen you know.Cars also get stolen all the time and left destroyed.I hope she doesn't forget and leave her keys in it while parked in the "wrong" neighborhood.
Yeah, insurance fraud will certainly solve all of her issues!!
I officially award the "Least Helpful Post of the Month" to this post.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:19 PM

45,217 posts, read 101,008,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samana View Post
My MIL financed a used 2005 Chevy Cobalt 2 years ago. Unfortunately, she is having financial difficulties right now due to a job loss and cannot afford to make payments on her car anymore and the bank won't work with her. I looked up her Kelley Blue Book value and her car is worth about $5,000 less than what she owes. Is this something she can use to her advantage? Anyone have any advice as to how she can get around this? Any special programs?
Have it cleaned up/detailed really well then list it for sale in News on Wheels and the Charlotte Observer (maybe you could pay those costs for her?).

Once she sells it have her go to her bank and meet with an officer to explain the situation and give them whatever amount she made on the sale. She should be prepared to show them the bill of sale so they'll know she didn't just pocket some of the money and then claim to not be able to pay off the whole loan. Hopefully they will work with her in some way or another.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:09 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,067,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Insurance only covers the cost of the car, she will still owe the 5K she is underwater. (unless she has something called gap insurance, that will cover the gap between what the car is worth and what the loan is). Most likely though she doesn't have that.

Can she pick up a couple odd jobs like cleaning to make her car payment?

Folks, this is why you need to put enough of a down payment on a car, so god forbid you need to sell it, you can.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Have it cleaned up/detailed really well then list it for sale in News on Wheels and the Charlotte Observer (maybe you could pay those costs for her?).

Once she sells it have her go to her bank and meet with an officer to explain the situation and give them whatever amount she made on the sale. She should be prepared to show them the bill of sale so they'll know she didn't just pocket some of the money and then claim to not be able to pay off the whole loan. Hopefully they will work with her in some way or another.
She can't sell it because she doesn't own it. How can she transfer the title to the new owner if she doesn't have it? The bank won't release the title until the car is paid off. "Hopefully" doesn't work in this situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
Insurance only covers the cost of the car, she will still owe the 5K she is underwater. (unless she has something called gap insurance, that will cover the gap between what the car is worth and what the loan is). Most likely though she doesn't have that.

Can she pick up a couple odd jobs like cleaning to make her car payment?

Folks, this is why you need to put enough of a down payment on a car, so god forbid you need to sell it, you can.
I agree with your first paragraph, but I question your last sentence. It can be argued that dumping a substantial amount of cash into a depreciating asset only to (possibly) ensure a more break-even point if the vehicle is sold is not a sound financial move. That's what gap insurance is for, if available and appropriate. Is it available on used cars? I don't know.

If it were me, and it was 5 years ago when I bought my most recent car, I'd sit on that money for whatever may come ahead. It may cost me a little extra interest, but I prefer to be liquid if possible.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:06 PM

45,217 posts, read 101,008,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
She can't sell it because she doesn't own it. How can she transfer the title to the new owner if she doesn't have it? The bank won't release the title until the car is paid off. "Hopefully" doesn't work in this situation.

LOL, what a brain fart that was I got caught up the fact it was not a new car but a used one and tripped all over myself OOPS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte