Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 01:56 PM

21 posts, read 22,375 times

Advertisements

Fess up or else -- where are the real deal Italian restaurants hiding out here??

DH is Italian and a very accommodating one, rarely ever has a complaint. But whoa, it's been a major miss trying to find authentic, fresh Italian cuisine here in Charlotte. So bad so, that a franchise takes the culinary cake -- Magiannos, all props to them but shame to anyone working in an Italian restaurant here for not bringing anything to the competition.

Last week we happened upon Mama Ricotta's. Sorry to say entrees were extremely flavorless and would never have come out of DH's mom's kitchen.

Yesterday, had an itch for pizza. Unfortunately, Riccio To Go didn't meet that need. It was "NY" style but not by a long shot. Ragu sauce, cheese sparingly applied on top of the thinnest of crusts possible. Even our birds who lust for crust turned up their beaks. It honestly could have barely passed for a Barron's frozen type pizza.

So, what's the word? MIL's coming to town and it's going to seriously be a NASTY scene unless we find somewhere acceptable. TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 01:59 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,539,723 times
Shoot. If i had an Italian momma visiting, I would be begging her to do the cooking!!! LOL!!! And invite me over!

Old 02-17-2008, 02:54 PM

185 posts, read 583,517 times
Ciao luvscoming! I'll throw my recomendation out there being an Italian transplant from Jersey for what it's worth.
I'm leary on calling them the best as people have different taste, But what I will call them is OUR favorite. Angela's Italian Restaurant. I've been a fan since they opened and have turned alot of people on to them.(and you're right they are a "hidden" gem IMO)
Honestly we've tried just about all things on menu from pizza to the daily specials, (things like veal merlot, seafood fra diavolo with lobster tail and pork parmigiana)
never have we been dissapionted.
Real friendly, casual dinning .

I don't know your MILs heritage but the owner is from Naples Italy.

BTW I can't compare to Mama Ricotta's, I've never been But I have "tried" Maggianno's And this lil' place blows em away IMO. It's Authentic.

Only thing is ,reservations accepted for 6 or more otherwise first come first serve. And If your MIL is elder that might be a problem on the weekends as they get busy! And I know when your "up in age " you can get antsy.
BUONA FORTUNA!

Old 02-17-2008, 03:01 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,804,528 times
I'd try Villa Antonio on South Blvd. or in Ballantyne Village. Portofino's in Ayersly isn't bad either.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:10 PM

21 posts, read 22,375 times
Great! Sounds like Angela's is a very promising lead! That is really good to hear they always delivered during your dining experiences. You gave some good entree suggestions too! Hmm, I think it best to check this out prior to MIL's visit. Too stuffed this weekend, maybe next!

MIL is as young as can be... she's actually immersed in planning her "sexy at 60" b-day party. No luxuries are being spared. Thank God DH fell far far from that part of the tree .

Good thinking, anifani, I'll just happen to have an abundance of some of her favorite ingredients out on the island. I'll let you know if we run out of freezer space!!

Old 02-17-2008, 03:55 PM

57 posts, read 208,769 times
What about Frankies on Morehead? I've never had a bad meal there!

Old 02-17-2008, 05:14 PM

115 posts, read 297,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
I'd try Villa Antonio on South Blvd. or in Ballantyne Village. Portofino's in Ayersly isn't bad either.
Ditto on Portofino's in Arysley. Very good Italian. I had veal marsala, and tried my mom's veal piccata...both excellent.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:31 PM

264 posts, read 918,904 times
Definitely Angela's in Mint Hill. Very good.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:55 PM
amp

519 posts, read 1,516,746 times
I totally agree...MIL comming...have her cook, doesn't matter where you go, it will likely never be better than hers My mom is 100% Italian and she hasn't found a place she has liked yet...in 65 years!

Old 02-17-2008, 08:59 PM

138 posts, read 413,362 times
For Italian, I liked Fontanellas in Mathews Festival Shopping Center. Also, for Pizza I really like Marino's in Waxhaw and Palone's in the Fountains off of Ardrey Kell. I have also heard very flattering things about Villa Antonio and also Vesuvios(?) Pizza in Ballantyne near the theatre there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte