Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 06:17 AM

264 posts, read 918,446 times

Advertisements

I've had it with dead animals lying around for days around here! My child is just to to the age of noticing -- and being grossed out/facsinated by -- roadkill. One day last week we're traveling down 485 and there's a huge deer. This was around the Matthews exit 52.

The next day, it's still there, and looking pretty gruesome by now. And there was an abandoned car nearby with one of those orange stickers on it, so I know someone of authority had been by, but still it remained. So when I have a chance I google "dead animal removal/mecklenberg" on my iphone. I call and the person says since it's on 485, it's a state issue. So I google NC DOT. They transfer me around a few times and I finally get someone who says I need to call the Albermarle office. They give me the number and I call.

The person on the other end of the phone tells me I need to call another office. I told her the state office said I should call the Albermarle office. She actually uses the phrase "It's not my job" and says I need to call another office. I tell her I'm on my cell phone , this is the third call I've had to make, and couldn't she please make the call -- gave her the location of the carcass, told her it's been there at least 24 hrs and it's becoming a health hazard! She sighed -- loudly -- and mumbles something again about it not being her job, but agrees to make the call for me. Since I mumbled something negative about "government workers" I doubt she did.

Has anyone else noticed the abundance of roadkill around these parts, on state and city roads? Why don't they get this stuff cleaned up in a timely manner? Ick!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 06:23 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,465,780 times
That doesn't sound right. I'd have called 311 and asked them to send someone. I've seen the CMPD animal control paddy wagon on 485 all the time. That's a crock if they tell you it's out of their jurisdiction. If they do it again, ask for a supervisor. 311 has a relatively high turn around and/or influx of new employees who may not be up to speed on how to handle such calls.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:37 AM

I'm not sure it was 311 -- I know it was someone at Char-Meck though. Since I was on cell, I couldn't call 311. But I googled the internet right from my phone. They said since it was a state-maintained highway, it was not their job. It's ok, though, for this huge animal to sit there and rot! I just wish for once, someone would give a darn, you know? Sigh!

Maybe with the high unemployment rate, 311 will get some more capable and caring customer service folks.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:39 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,783,864 times
What I have noticed is the amount of dead dogs on the road .

Old 07-25-2008, 07:23 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,502,054 times
solnechko...is your gripe about roadkill or about the treatment you got while trying to report it? I understand more if it's the latter.

my old home state had a HUGE deer overpopulation problem (so I became a hunter just to help resolve that little problem!) so I'm used to roadkill.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:44 AM

371 posts, read 1,102,171 times
Web Service Requests

I've used this in the past to file a 311 request online for a dog on the side of 77 near downtown. The dog was gone by the next morning. I even got a response in a few days later indicating that the problem had been resolved.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:46 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,432,497 times
SSD3-I agree with that. There is (not sure if still there) but a huge dead German Shepard on 85 at exit 54. I hope its been removed by now.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:58 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,465,780 times
I'm betting you didn't talk to 311...and you should be able to call it from your cell phone. I do all the time. If you're within Mecklenburg County, you will go to the Charlotte 311 (other big cities have 311 systems too). I believe they will not ever tell you it's not their job...since they are just merely an operator who puts a work order in a system that distributes it do the correct person. If anything, that person that gets the work order would be the one to tell you it's not going ot be covered by them, if it happens at all.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:07 AM

I guess my gripe is that roadkill seems to sit around for a long time around here. And the treatment I got when trying to report it -- it's not like I was complaining about the color my neighbor painted their front door or something. It was a huge dead animal that had been there for more than 24 hours!

That's good to know about 311. I had no idea!

Old 07-25-2008, 08:24 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,316,835 times
My girls are 6 & 8 and I say something like "Girls, look! There is a [insert quadruped name here] sleeping in the road."

Be careful, especially if you are an early commuter.
I commute between 5.30-6am and it is not unusual to see a few deer a week on Providence Rd and Hwy 51.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: