Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 12:28 PM

20 posts, read 32,604 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from Atlanta to Charlotte in mere weeks (Maybe this one!). My work is located directly on the south side of the Airport, but I really like the Harris Blvd area. In no traffic, it's a 20-25 minute drive. I'm going to test the traffic tomorrow, but so close to the holidays, I'm worried I won't get a correct representation. A 45 minute commute is not scary to me, but it's not exactly desirable either.

I've been ALL over Charlotte, but Harris Blvd seems like the best. There's the mall, and the shopping centers, and all of those restaurants.

I'm 23, single, and active. I figured Harris Blvd would be perfect, because it's really close to UNC, where there will likely be more people my age. I don't want to be hanging myself of boredom here.

The most important thing for me is to be surrounded by people my age... Someone talk me into moving someplace closer to work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 12:36 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,719,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ale View Post
I'm moving from Atlanta to Charlotte in mere weeks (Maybe this one!). My work is located directly on the south side of the Airport, but I really like the Harris Blvd area. In no traffic, it's a 20-25 minute drive. I'm going to test the traffic tomorrow, but so close to the holidays, I'm worried I won't get a correct representation. A 45 minute commute is not scary to me, but it's not exactly desirable either.

I've been ALL over Charlotte, but Harris Blvd seems like the best. There's the mall, and the shopping centers, and all of those restaurants.

I'm 23, single, and active. I figured Harris Blvd would be perfect, because it's really close to UNC, where there will likely be more people my age. I don't want to be hanging myself of boredom here.

The most important thing for me is to be surrounded by people my age... Someone talk me into moving someplace closer to work!
Look at Belmont. It's closer to the airport & there's a small college there.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:38 PM

292 posts, read 672,456 times
If I were moving here again (I moved here at 23, I am now 26) I would move to what is referred to as South End. Thats really where you will find a lot of young people to hang out with. I would maybe look into the Circle apartments or somewhere within a block or so. I have a friend who lives there and another who lives in The Millennium apartments.

Luxury Apartment Rentals | The Millennium Luxury Apartments for Rent
Circle at South End, Crescent Resources

Old 12-20-2010, 12:39 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,789,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ale View Post

K'ale, Harris Blvd can be fine - but closer to I77 - and stay north of Harris, not south okay?

An alternative that I'd highly recommend is Plaza Midwood. There are plenty of people your age and places you can walk or bike to when you want to eat or hit a bar. You'd be much closer to work too.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Look at Belmont. It's closer to the airport & there's a small college there.
I rode through Belmont, but everything seemed so quiet and the town itself was tiny. Maybe I'll give it another look. I have a co-worker suggesting it as well. I just kinda wanted to be more in the direction of the city I guess.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireflychik View Post
If I were moving here again (I moved here at 23, I am now 26) I would move to what is referred to as South End. Thats really where you will find a lot of young people to hang out with. I would maybe look into the Circle apartments or somewhere within a block or so. I have a friend who lives there and another who lives in The Millennium apartments.

Luxury Apartment Rentals | The Millennium Luxury Apartments for Rent
Circle at South End, Crescent Resources
Those places are both very close to me. I'll check it out today, I've not been in that area and have heard nothing about it. Thanks!

Old 12-20-2010, 12:50 PM

569 posts, read 1,411,128 times
Harris blvd is anything but "the best" in my opinion. It is ghetto fabulous all the way from Idewild rd up to the UNCC areas and Northlake Mall. UNCC is a "suitcase college"....students pack up and come home for the weekends since most of them live around here anyway. Harris blvd and the UNCC area has become one of the armpits of the CLT area in the past few years (it wasn't great when I went there 10 years ago). It has become so bad that the university area is now advertising on TV commercials to convince the general public to move to into the area. It would be kind of like Detriot claiming it was a nice tourist destination.

If you like shopping and want to be a little closer to your work you would be much better off somewhere near southpark mall or park rd area. Lots of younger people here (working professionals, not the ones that try to rob you). You could also try my hood Plaza Midwood/Central Av area where it is party central every night for people in their 20's-30's. Downtown is always a happening spot also. If you like what you like that is understandable but I would prefer many other options than Harris Blvd.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
K'ale, Harris Blvd can be fine - but closer to I77 - and stay north of Harris, not south okay?

An alternative that I'd highly recommend is Plaza Midwood. There are plenty of people your age and places you can walk or bike to when you want to eat or hit a bar. You'd be much closer to work too.
Plaza Midwood... [SIZE=3]I hear a lot about living in Dilworth/Elizabeth/Plaza Milwood. I've been around that area, and it seemed to be more for people in their early 30s? It's also a bit pricey to me. I'm looking for an apartment, but I'd like to stick to a $700 per month budget. I'll take another look around when I hit the south end. I appreciate your response![/SIZE]

Old 12-20-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Native 1 View Post
Harris blvd is anything but "the best" in my opinion. It is ghetto fabulous all the way from Idewild rd up to the UNCC areas and Northlake Mall. UNCC is a "suitcase college"....students pack up and come home for the weekends since most of them live around here anyway. Harris blvd and the UNCC area has become one of the armpits of the CLT area in the past few years (it wasn't great when I went there 10 years ago). It has become so bad that the university area is now advertising on TV commercials to convince the general public to move to into the area. It would be kind of like Detriot claiming it was a nice tourist destination.

If you like shopping and want to be a little closer to your work you would be much better off somewhere near southpark mall or park rd area. Lots of younger people here (working professionals, not the ones that try to rob you). You could also try my hood Plaza Midwood/Central Av area where it is party central every night for people in their 20's-30's. Downtown is always a happening spot also. If you like what you like that is understandable but I would prefer many other options than Harris Blvd.
I didn't get that feel at all, but your response mirrors that of a couple people I've spoken to. I'm starting to feel pretty fortunate that I found this forum... What are the price ranges in that area?

Old 12-20-2010, 12:57 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,576,507 times
If the most important thing is to be 'surrounded by people your age' then I would agree with others - South End, Southpark, Plaza/Midwood. Those are much better choices than Harris Blvd. - unless you want the Native 1's 'ghetto fabulous'. That just cracks me up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte