Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 07:09 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,995,361 times

Advertisements

I would look at other ethnic foods too, there are so many in addition to Indian. I love Thai, Mexican, and even Italian for some great vegetarian meals.

I make an awesome Thai vegetable curry - buy the Taste of Thai curry pastes, can of coconut milk, some fish sauce, veggies and rice and you have a great meal.

I even order Thai and Indian dishes in the vegetarian style when we go out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 07:52 AM

29 posts, read 83,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCaro4 View Post

2) Cold quinoa salad. The night before, I'll make quinoa for dinner cooked with garlic, tomatoes, spinach, garbanzo beans, zuchinni and balsamic vinegar. It's even better the next day after the flavors have blended together, so I stuff it into a wrap or pita.
Would you mind posting the recipe for the Quinoa. I have tried making it twice and hubby has forbid me to cook it again. He will eat just about anything that I cook, but I messed it up both times. The little twirly sprouty things came out everywhere and it basically tasted like mush in both recipes. I would love to make a good one and prove myself

Old 01-06-2011, 07:57 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,984,919 times
Portabello mushrooms taste a lot like steak. Do you like tempeh?

Old 01-06-2011, 08:01 AM

769 posts, read 2,222,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Portabello mushrooms taste a lot like steak. Do you like tempeh?
Portabellas are great!! I make stroganoff and use sauteed portabellas instead of the meat. You can get pre-sliced portabellas at most of the grocery stores, which makes them really easy to use.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:15 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,984,919 times
I know you say that you don't like tofu but there are some products where you'd never know it was tofu, like Tofu pups hot dogs for instance.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:34 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,053,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I know you say that you don't like tofu but there are some products where you'd never know it was tofu, like Tofu pups hot dogs for instance.
I don't know what tempeh is and my big experience with tofu was in China. (they use a LOT of tofu there) couldn't get it past my mouth.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:43 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,142,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
I don't know what tempeh is and my big experience with tofu was in China. (they use a LOT of tofu there) couldn't get it past my mouth.
It's soybean cake, and I wouldn't bother if you're just doing veggie for a small amount of time. You can get your protein through nuts, beans, cheese, eggs and grains. A lot of vegetarians use it in meatless meat dishes like tacos, sloppy joes, spaghetti sauce, stir fry, etc. You can buy tempeh bacon, but I think it's gross.

I'm not a huge fan of any of the substitute meats. It's probably because I'm not a full-fledged vegetarian, but I just don't see the point in having a fake hot dog or fake chicken nuggets. If I'm not going to eat meat I'd rather not even eat fake meat.

As for the discussion about quinoa - I've never been able to get it right either. I know it's excellent for you though!

Since you're going to be pressed for time you can make a lot of stuff in your crock pot.

p.s. If you want to try tofu again, try it at PF Changs or Pei Wei (there's one in Ballantyne). They cut it in slices instead of chunks, and it soaks up all of the delicious sauce and is amazing! You can order it instead of meat in any of the dishes. You could also just add silken tofu to a saucy dish and you'd never know it was there.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:50 AM

689 posts, read 1,658,913 times
One thing I can say about Quinoa...make it in broth as it gives it some flavor. I usually use chicken broth b/c I am not a vegetarian, but I would think vegetable broth would work too.

Also, when you cook it, those little sprouty things do come out.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:04 AM

769 posts, read 2,222,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawks91 View Post
One thing I can say about Quinoa...make it in broth as it gives it some flavor. I usually use chicken broth b/c I am not a vegetarian, but I would think vegetable broth would work too.

Also, when you cook it, those little sprouty things do come out.
Or, mix the quinoa with other grains to help mellow the flavor. Amaranth is another good high protein grain. It's kind of like millet, but smaller. It also has a mellower flavor than quinoa.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:24 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,731,947 times
Get a bag of Mahatma yellow rice. Start cooking it & part way through dump in some frozen peas or frozen broccoli. Give it a stir, then let it finish cooking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte