Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 07:11 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,993,920 times

Advertisements

GREAT job with the roads! I took both 485 and 77 tonight from the Ballantyne area to Fort Mill, SC and the roads were very good, for the conditions they had. Yes, it was icy, but there were plenty of DOT trucks out putting the treatment onto the roadway. I was at 35-45mph the entire time and never slipped or lost traction once. Very good job by the crews who im sure will work hard around the clock!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 07:30 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,984,919 times
TRy some neighborhood roads out for size. THey're all ice.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:38 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,568,882 times
It all about priority major roads first, secondary next. Im secondary = 2nd day.

For second storm the NCDOT was on the ball before & during.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:43 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,984,919 times
Neighborhoods=Zero...

Old 01-10-2011, 07:53 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,030,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Neighborhoods=Zero...
Keeps the taxes low.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:30 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,053,599 times
I happen to disagree. I was on Harris Blvd. yesterday morning...a major road that had NOT been plowed! It was bad enough getting out of my subdivision, let alone driving on a road that had not been plowed. I think that the crews were NOT on the ball at all; or maybe the guy in charge was on vacation or something.

Neighbourhoods need to at least be treated, too. How can people get to work if they can't get out of their neighbourhood?????

Old 01-11-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
I happen to disagree. I was on Harris Blvd. yesterday morning...a major road that had NOT been plowed! It was bad enough getting out of my subdivision, let alone driving on a road that had not been plowed. I think that the crews were NOT on the ball at all; or maybe the guy in charge was on vacation or something.

Neighbourhoods need to at least be treated, too. How can people get to work if they can't get out of their neighbourhood?????
As stated, the HIGHWAYS were first, period. Most states anywhere always do the highways first and foremost, and the secondary roads after. Anything other then the highway is a secondary road. Im sure crews will start to examine the secondary roads today, but the town/county should have a hand in treating the secondary roads, NOT just the state.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:50 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,471,213 times
Does NC DOT even use actual salt on the roads anymore? If they'd put some of that down yesterday evening the roads would have been in a heck of a lot better condition today IMO. You could see that they maybe did the intersections but that's about it.

I'm not referring to interstates either, that's a given, I'm talking about major roadways other than interstates. Neighborhoods are just screwed really, which is understandable. Actually I say that and our neighborhood road was MUCH better then the secondary road it empties into. haha

Old 01-11-2011, 02:48 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,053,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysofThundr46 View Post
As stated, the HIGHWAYS were first, period. Most states anywhere always do the highways first and foremost, and the secondary roads after. Anything other then the highway is a secondary road. Im sure crews will start to examine the secondary roads today, but the town/county should have a hand in treating the secondary roads, NOT just the state.
actually, that is not correct, either. I had friends that came to work on both I-77 and I-85 and they reported that both roads were horrid. I think that they should have put the blades that they bought a few years ago on the garbage trucks and run the whole fleet continuously from the minute it started snowing. That should have at least kept the roads somewhat clear. Afterwards, treating the roads with salt would've resulted in today being a productive day instead of one that was basically shut down.

If they insist on having HOAs here, they should then require these HOAs to hire crews to clean up the neighbourhoods, since the city seems unable to keep up with the work.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:36 PM

I was behind the DOT trucks Monday night.... they were putting down Salt (or whatever it is the use). I was right behind them and saw them putting it down. This was on I-77 South.

I drove in this (late) morning on 77 and 485 (Tuesday) and had ZERO issues. Drove home tonight after 11pm, same roads, no issues. Again, I say, great job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte