Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 09:45 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,091,752 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

We arrive in Charlotte Thursday, August 24, with my family. We're stayign through Sunday. Not very long I know.

I am trying to build us an itinerary. I'd like to cover as much ground as I can during this first trip. It's sort of a vacation but with an eye toward relocating from Jersey.

We're staying at a hotel in Pineville. A realtor from Allen Tate is going to show us around.

My biggest issue right now is we still have not come to a firm determination on what areas we'd like to really consider as our new home. I'd like to give our realtor something more to go on before we arrive, so that our time can be more focused and she can have listings that meet our needs.

As a recap, we have boys 8 and 12. The oldest with special needs that require special education services and reasonable accessibility to a hospital/medical services. He drives trucks, I currently work as a recruiter. However, I am likely to return to graduate school sometime in the very near future.

We'd like 4 bed, 2 bth, min. 1800 sq ft, at least .25 acre, established neighborhoods preferred, no HOAs. I think we're going to keep our upper limit at $185K, although we can go a bit higher if necessary.

We're not opposed to living in Charlotte, but I think although commuting distances are a concern, we'd like to move out a bit. I think I saw some nice options in Gaston County.

I am 29, he is 38. We're pretty friendly, outgoing, want the boys to be able to do the things they have not been able to do here like join a swim team, or soccer.

So, at the risk of being repetitive, any last minute suggestions?

Also, any ideas on what we should do during any down time? I think we are going to go to Carowinds (only open on weekends, right?) and someone told us not to miss out on Big Daddy's Seafood Restaurant. What else should we look into?

Anyone up to meeting us for lunch or dinner?

Thanks!

SL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2006, 09:55 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,476,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
Hi guys,

We arrive in Charlotte Thursday, August 24, with my family. We're stayign through Sunday. Not very long I know.

I am trying to build us an itinerary. I'd like to cover as much ground as I can during this first trip. It's sort of a vacation but with an eye toward relocating from Jersey.

We're staying at a hotel in Pineville. A realtor from Allen Tate is going to show us around.

My biggest issue right now is we still have not come to a firm determination on what areas we'd like to really consider as our new home. I'd like to give our realtor something more to go on before we arrive, so that our time can be more focused and she can have listings that meet our needs.

As a recap, we have boys 8 and 12. The oldest with special needs that require special education services and reasonable accessibility to a hospital/medical services. He drives trucks, I currently work as a recruiter. However, I am likely to return to graduate school sometime in the very near future.

We'd like 4 bed, 2 bth, min. 1800 sq ft, at least .25 acre, established neighborhoods preferred, no HOAs. I think we're going to keep our upper limit at $185K, although we can go a bit higher if necessary.

We're not opposed to living in Charlotte, but I think although commuting distances are a concern, we'd like to move out a bit. I think I saw some nice options in Gaston County.

I am 29, he is 38. We're pretty friendly, outgoing, want the boys to be able to do the things they have not been able to do here like join a swim team, or soccer.

So, at the risk of being repetitive, any last minute suggestions?

Also, any ideas on what we should do during any down time? I think we are going to go to Carowinds (only open on weekends, right?) and someone told us not to miss out on Big Daddy's Seafood Restaurant. What else should we look into?

Anyone up to meeting us for lunch or dinner?

Thanks!

SL

I'd meet you if I was there. LOL

Don't miss Birkdale exit 25 off the I77. Eat at Red Rocks at Birkdale, very good! YUM. I was the one that said Big Daddy's too.

Old 08-22-2006, 06:15 AM

Thanks ... we will check out Red Rocks. We love good eats.

All these views, and no other comments? C'mon guys, we need suggestions, or even some encouragement would help at this time.

SL

Old 08-22-2006, 06:46 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,840,791 times
I can speak for N. Charlotte better than I can the South so here goes:

Within the Lake Norman area there are 2 major hospitals. One in Mooresville Exit 33 and one in Huntersville exit 23. Not sure of your needs and there is an Urgent Care at Exit 25.

There is a major new Aquatic center being built in Huntersville for the swim team NOMAD http://www.swimnomad.org/ I am a little biased towards this team as I was on the team way back in '91 when it started. The coach is great. Not only does he help with the swimming aspect he makes sure that he also helps your children grow outside of the swim team. Not sure if Coach billings does now or not but he used to teach at the high school.

As for Soccer it is real strong in North Meck and Mooresville area. This is going ot be my sons first year so cannot vouch to much for it yet but have heard great things. http://www.northmecksoccer.org/home/default.asp (broken link)

Also http://www.strikerssoccer.com/ is a good time.

Hope this helps you some. Good Luck

Old 08-22-2006, 11:05 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,759,041 times
saralee,
Check your messages!

Old 08-22-2006, 12:46 PM

58 posts, read 287,039 times
saralee...best of luck! We're heading there ourselves this Fri thru Tues. Staying in Cornelius, and also have an appointment with a realtor. Seems like there's a lot of that going around.

If you have even a passing interest in NASCAR, be sure to look around. If your boys enjoy racecars, there's plenty to see.

Hope your trip is successful!

Old 08-22-2006, 12:55 PM

dzrustyfan.... I hope you enjoy Cornelius. You know Michael Waltrip is building his shop here.

Old 08-22-2006, 12:58 PM

58 posts, read 287,039 times
Cool! Though our trip is to do research, I'll be squeezing in some stops at the race shops...RWI for sure. Whereabouts in Cornelius will Mikey be?

Old 08-22-2006, 01:00 PM

Thank all of you guys for the information!

The boys do enjoy race cars, although we are not typical NASCAR fans. I actually work in the diesel industry though ... we catch a lot of shows here. We'll give it a looksy.

Anyone else with recommendations on what to do or which areas might be of most interest to us (to live)?

SL

Old 08-22-2006, 01:02 PM

It is at the Liverpool Parkway. Near the Post Office. Most of the Race Shops are at exit 36 Mooresville. Just a 10 min ride North. Make sure weather permitting you eat at some of the restraunts at the lake. Midtown Sundries is a good family night. Just do not try to eat around 7ish you will be waiting at least an hour. Give yourself a few hours also for Birkdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte