Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 07:29 AM

54 posts, read 134,288 times

Advertisements

Hello I am a dc native 26 yrs of as ge I have 3 small children and im looking for a new leash on life I only want positive and honest opinions if you are a smarty pants please dont respond this is very serious and I just wanna get some insight from nc natives or people whos just touched down in nc a week a month or hoe ever long ago. Ok a slight overview of my intrest and intentions first and foremost good elementary schools are important second good quiet neighborhood but not rural,nex stores and shopping with in a mile away if possible and all in all activities things to do with my small children. Now for the most important part I know you all are waiting for I am currently unemployed and will be seeking employment upon my arrival there I have a section 8 certificate so I will be renting a house again I ask please dont pass judgement on me provided ive stayed im unemployed and is on section 8 because I am not lazy or triflin or coming to nc to bring the poverty rate lower I am going to earn my keeps all I would like to know from my nc ppl old and new is how is it living in nc and where are some good places to raise my kids again im a single mom so please keep dis in mind thanx guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 07:31 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,682,342 times
Moving without a job in hand is a bad idea.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:50 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,663,928 times
Charlotte forum is here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/

I recommend using punctuation and capital letters. Your post was very difficult to read. You will probably get more responses if it's easier to read.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:53 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,851,689 times
^^ Thanks -- moved from Raleigh forum.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:25 AM

701 posts, read 1,431,315 times
OMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzk2011 View Post
Hello I am a dc native 26 yrs of as ge I have 3 small children and im looking for a new leash on life I only want positive and honest opinions if you are a smarty pants please dont respond this is very serious and I just wanna get some insight from nc natives or people whos just touched down in nc a week a month or hoe ever long ago. Ok a slight overview of my intrest and intentions first and foremost good elementary schools are important second good quiet neighborhood but not rural,nex stores and shopping with in a mile away if possible and all in all activities things to do with my small children. Now for the most important part I know you all are waiting for I am currently unemployed and will be seeking employment upon my arrival there I have a section 8 certificate so I will be renting a house again I ask please dont pass judgement on me provided ive stayed im unemployed and is on section 8 because I am not lazy or triflin or coming to nc to bring the poverty rate lower I am going to earn my keeps all I would like to know from my nc ppl old and new is how is it living in nc and where are some good places to raise my kids again im a single mom so please keep dis in mind thanx guys

Old 03-09-2011, 11:22 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,839,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzk2011 View Post

PLEASE, do not plan to come to NC until you are sure you have a job! You obviously have no idea how many people are still flocking here trying to do exactly what you are doing. It has made the job market very tight in all fields.

In addition, in Charlotte cost of housing in areas with good schools is well above section 8 for sure and you'll have to deal with some struggling inner city schools instead.

You would be much better off looking at smaller cities in NC if you really are set on coming here.

I would recommend you instead look at places like Oklahoma City - cost of living and housing is much better and their unemployment rates are lower.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:30 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,660,390 times
Before you set your sights here, check with the housing authority. Just because you have a voucher doesn't mean you can automatically move anywhere that accepts vouchers. Our own section 8 waiting list has been closed for years; the issuing city of your voucher may have to agree to still cover the cost of your voucher, even though you'd be living here. You have to get approval from both housing authorities - your city, and where you'd like to move to.

I agree with living outside of Charlotte; housing is very expensive here, and you would likely have to pay above & beyond what your voucher pays. Without a job, you would be setting yourself up for failure.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:37 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,839,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
Before you set your sights here, check with the housing authority. Just because you have a voucher doesn't mean you can automatically move anywhere that accepts vouchers. Our own section 8 waiting list has been closed for years; the issuing city of your voucher may have to agree to still cover the cost of your voucher, even though you'd be living here. You have to get approval from both housing authorities - your city, and where you'd like to move to.

I agree with living outside of Charlotte; housing is very expensive here, and you would likely have to pay above & beyond what your voucher pays. Without a job, you would be setting yourself up for failure.
Thanks for reminding us about section 8 waiting lists, I had forgotten that!!!

Charlotte's homeless population has grown too much in recent years, and some of that is due to people like our OP showing up without a job or nestegg saved up to live on.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:04 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,436,246 times
Wow -those replies are real nice guys.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:49 AM

54 posts, read 134,288 times
Pardon me on my puncuation and thanks for the insight I do have money saved up to live off but I understand you guys concerns I origanally chose atl but thats a lil bit too far away from family but I have to move outta dc I want a better life for my kids if it was jus me noone would be reading this post because I would stay here but everyday I wake up I cant shake the thought and feeling that I want different and better for my children I know you guys understand that so any suggestions would atl be better then nc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte