Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 07:08 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBUC View Post
Having grown up in Fayetteville, I traveled many weekends to other cities like Charlotte, Raleigh and Greensboro for the Gay life. Fayetteville had one bar then and it was just OK. Charlotte had most of the action then. This was in the early 70's. Having lived in Hawaii and LA the last 30+ yrs I rarely get to NC to do the gay scene. Most of my time there is to visit family.

This latest trip we decided my partner and I to spend a few days in the "big" city Charlotte to have some fun before settling in to the family thing. Boy what a dissapointment Charlotte was. We made sure we would be there on the weekend. Friday night was the biggest BOO I have ever scen in a major city on a Friday night. We went to Velocity first because it was advertised in a couple places as the place to dance on Friday night. Seemed good we thought. No one was there at 12mn, they wanted 10dollars to enter and said "oh it may pick up in another 1/2 hr." I asked what time do you close, 230a, they said. We left. Went to Club Mykz (spelling may be off), lights were out, guess they were shut down. Next to Liasons. Friendly ladies running and working place, but standing around shooting **** on Friday night was not what we wanted. Everyone there and mind you it was not packed, said this is the Gay life in Charlotte.

How can this be? With all the influx of people from everywhere and you know there has to have been some gays in that movement where did they dissapear to? We finally ended up at Eagle of all places and had we been there perhaps an hour earlier we could have danced a song or two. This place looks like it has potential as a Gay bar. Down from the bar was Skyland where we called it a night and had some food.

We headed to Fayetteville Saturday and went out there to a place called Club Alias, it was one of 2 bars in Fayetteville. They actually made anything we saw in Charlotte look pathetic, missing however even there was a decent crowd. Drinks were weak, booze obviously watered down. Perhaps they need a visit from the alcohol board.

Thank God we are back in LA.

Lastly let me say however that NC and Charlotte will always be loved by me from afar. I adore the city, it has potential, but I fear I will be dead by the time it reaches an acceptable goal for the Gay life.

You seem to be saying "gay life" = "good bars where only gay people hang out"??

I agree with the poster above me, couldn't you just go to whatever bar looked like it was drawing the biggest crowd and have fun there? Why were you prejudiced against bars where straight people may have been?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 05:24 PM

116 posts, read 422,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew0020 View Post
I am moving to Charlotte so I cant speak to much of the bar scene, but if the goal was to dance the night away couldnt you have gone to any club? I am not sure why it had to be a gay club.

I am straight, I personally could care less about someone's sexual orientation, but I would have tried any bar and maybe you would have been pleasantly surprised?
The question is how would he and his partner be treated in a straight bar in Charlotte if they were in there dancing together? Could they feel comfortable? Would people give them a hard time? I'm sure they would be much more comfortable in a gay bar. But if that gay bar has bad music and a weak clientele, it wouldn't be much fun.

BTW, isn't it ironic that a city that so many perceive to be homophobic gives itself the nickname of "Queen City"?

Old 11-10-2012, 05:28 PM

5 posts, read 8,079 times
Default What?

I would doubt there are too many gay couples who would feel comfortable dancing together in just "any" bar, especially in the South, or in the bible belt.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:48 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCGuy123123 View Post
I would doubt there are too many gay couples who would feel comfortable dancing together in just "any" bar, especially in the South, or in the bible belt.
This thread started 6 years ago and I havent seen it in 5, so Im just responding to your post, depends on the bar.

I know Marginy was not in existence five years ago but Mythos was and both places do not care what your sexual orientation is as long as your having a good time.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 11-10-2012 at 06:30 PM..

Old 11-10-2012, 05:54 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,897,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCGuy123123 View Post
Now, don't you feel like a jackass responding to such an outdated posting? LOL!!

Old 11-10-2012, 07:37 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Wow this was a fun thread dusted off and revived. Some recent comments in other threads in this forum this forum is getting testy lol but looks like Charlotte forum has always been a touchy crowd. This thread was started 7 months before I was even a member.

I got lost about the red dot thing but apparently used to be able leave bad reps.

Anyways if anyone is seeking what the OP is seeking feel free to ask away
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte