Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 12:53 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
It is amazing. This cover-up includes our own national media who have rolled out a litany of nuclear "experts" (not licensed nuclear engineers) from various prestigious schools who have said this was a minor incident and nothing much to worry about. One of these experts, from MIT, no less was found to be an economics person focused on chain supply and his expertise came from the fact that his father worked in a nuke plant. The schools has since put him off limits for interviews. I don't blame him as much as the media that don't check anything that agrees with their agenda.

Not one word from our own local media on getting some statements from Duke Energy, on the record on TV or the paper, as to what changes are being made to the 4 reactors in Charlotte as this thing develops.
In this day, "cover-up" doesn't do the job it used to... Info is getting out and people more qualified then the MSM "experts" are putting out analysis you can find and read. I've known how bad this is (and continues to be) based on internet reading since the first days it happened, thus the reason I made this thread.

Ostensibly, I'm not certain what we would expect Duke to come out and do or say. One hopes that they're already following the strictest of safety and caution. It is interesting that there was a call for a national "check up" for all nuke plants... Quite a bit of attention to the Indian Point plant.

Discovery That Indian Point Nuke Is Most Exposed To Quake Risk Prompts Reuters To Release An Evacuation Map | zero hedge

I feel deeply saddened for Japan as a huge swath of that country will be rendered uninhabitable basically forever... We're talking not even flying over it. They recently found plutonium out in the environment at the plant - look up the half-life on that if you want a sobering picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 01:44 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
In this day, "cover-up" doesn't do the job it used to... Info is getting out and people more qualified then the MSM "experts" are putting out analysis you can find and read. I've known how bad this is (and continues to be) based on internet reading since the first days it happened, thus the reason I made this thread.

Ostensibly, I'm not certain what we would expect Duke to come out and do or say. One hopes that they're already following the strictest of safety and caution. It is interesting that there was a call for a national "check up" for all nuke plants... Quite a bit of attention to the Indian Point plant.

Discovery That Indian Point Nuke Is Most Exposed To Quake Risk Prompts Reuters To Release An Evacuation Map | zero hedge

I feel deeply saddened for Japan as a huge swath of that country will be rendered uninhabitable basically forever... We're talking not even flying over it. They recently found plutonium out in the environment at the plant - look up the half-life on that if you want a sobering picture.
When I said cover up I should've been clearer...I was talking more about TEPCO and the Japanese government....seems like they are downplaying and hiding bad news....for god sakes, if you need help, ask for it. The longer this goes the worse its going to get. Japanese people are extremely proud, and I think (in this case) that's part of the problem...they feel very ashamed asking for help...which they clearly need.

Who knows, but that's just my opinion.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:49 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
When I said cover up I should've been clearer...I was talking more about TEPCO and the Japanese government....seems like they are downplaying and hiding bad news....for god sakes, if you need help, ask for it. The longer this goes the worse its going to get. Japanese people are extremely proud, and I think (in this case) that's part of the problem...they feel very ashamed asking for help...which they clearly need.

Oh, yeah - completely agree... It's the whole don't panic the herd mentality, which conflicts so often with common sense.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:51 PM

515 posts, read 1,037,174 times
The only reason anyone is even thinking of nuke again is this crazy anthropogenic global warming scare. It's a chaotic system, no one has numerical models capable of predicting climate to any degree of certainty...

Fossil plants have other pollution problems, but they don't make large sections uninhabitable...well, outside of ash pond breaks of course :-)....

Old 03-28-2011, 04:50 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,289,602 times
In case you are wondering about radiation in Charlotte, here is the real time EPA graph of radiation for the area. On the top graph, I believe there might be a concern if the count goes above 100. It's a very slow site so you might have to wait on it for a while.

RadNet Air Monitoring Data - Charlotte, NC | Japanese Nuclear Emergency: Radiation Monitoring | US EPA (http://www.epa.gov/radiation/rert/radnet-charlotte-bg.html - broken link)

In Japan, the government has simply turned off the detectors from public access in the exclusion zone around the reactor. Best not to panic the people about radiation I guess. This is an example. As you can see there is no reporting around the plant. The Fukisawa plant is noted on the map in the NE with the big Google arrow.

Japan Geigermap: At-a-glance

The readings vary greatly depending upon the direction of the wind.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:56 PM

645 posts, read 1,503,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
It is amazing. This cover-up includes our own national media who have rolled out a litany of nuclear "experts" (not licensed nuclear engineers) from various prestigious schools who have said this was a minor incident and nothing much to worry about. One of these experts, from MIT, no less was found to be an economics person focused on chain supply and his expertise came from the fact that his father worked in a nuke plant. The schools has since put him off limits for interviews. I don't blame him as much as the media that don't check anything that agrees with their agenda.

Not one word from our own local media on getting some statements from Duke Energy, on the record on TV or the paper, as to what changes are being made to the 4 reactors in Charlotte as this thing develops.

I live 12 miles from the Harris plant here in the Raleigh area. I am seriously going to put my house on the market and going to move to an area at leat 100 miles away from any nuke plant at a minimum. I am retired and can go anyplace. the BS that if something like this were to happen here my home and the 300K that I have paid for my house would disappear is well just BS. If you cannot insure the home from an accident at a nuke plant they should be shut down.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:07 PM

30 posts, read 56,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post

They have, and what the media hasn't publicized much is the fact that a number of American companies are in fact over there assisting. Yes, they are a proud bunch, but, this nuclear "scare" is a drop in the bucket over there right now. Death tolls in the 10's of thousands, MASSIVE environmental issues, etc. All of the "radiation" showing up in the food supply chains, etc, is assumed to be coming from the TEPCO plants, when nobody else even thinks of the other potential sources of groundwater contamination.

Is the situation serious, yes. Is it a mystery where the radiation from the plant is coming from? No. The worst case scenario is a massive concrete dump to isolate the plant, but there is less environmental damage and potential consequences if they can keep the spent fuel in check. This is not a Chernobyl type situation, but our media will do anything in it's power to glorify it as such.

The fact of the matter is that these plants are 40+ years old, designed 70+ years ago, in a country that required fewer degrees of safety and redundancy in their design and construction methodology, and even today, it's just about the only thing left standing after a 9.0 earthquake and a tidal wave. And, if it weren't for a couple of diesel tanks getting filled with water, they'd likely still be in operation. Those plants were designed with slide rules, in an era before computer driven modeling and finite element analysis. They're the equivalent of a World War II bomber being compared to a modern-day F16 fighter jet. Even then, they stood their ground.

Will we come away with some lessons learned? Of course. Is there justification to retrofit existing plants? Absolutely. Should we give up the pipe dream of relying on solar and wind power to meet the energy needs which will climb three-fold over the next twenty years, and invest in clean, safe, nuclear energy? You bet your ass we should.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supe View Post
They have, and what the media hasn't publicized much is the fact that a number of American companies are in fact over there assisting. Yes, they are a proud bunch, but, this nuclear "scare" is a drop in the bucket over there right now. Death tolls in the 10's of thousands, MASSIVE environmental issues, etc. All of the "radiation" showing up in the food supply chains, etc, is assumed to be coming from the TEPCO plants, when nobody else even thinks of the other potential sources of groundwater contamination.

Is the situation serious, yes. Is it a mystery where the radiation from the plant is coming from? No. The worst case scenario is a massive concrete dump to isolate the plant, but there is less environmental damage and potential consequences if they can keep the spent fuel in check. This is not a Chernobyl type situation, but our media will do anything in it's power to glorify it as such.

The fact of the matter is that these plants are 40+ years old, designed 70+ years ago, in a country that required fewer degrees of safety and redundancy in their design and construction methodology, and even today, it's just about the only thing left standing after a 9.0 earthquake and a tidal wave. And, if it weren't for a couple of diesel tanks getting filled with water, they'd likely still be in operation. Those plants were designed with slide rules, in an era before computer driven modeling and finite element analysis. They're the equivalent of a World War II bomber being compared to a modern-day F16 fighter jet. Even then, they stood their ground.

Will we come away with some lessons learned? Of course. Is there justification to retrofit existing plants? Absolutely. Should we give up the pipe dream of relying on solar and wind power to meet the energy needs which will climb three-fold over the next twenty years, and invest in clean, safe, nuclear energy? You bet your ass we should.

Ah but would you live there?? How many years from now? If your home was in the 10 to 50 mile radius?? Come now lets hear it/

Old 03-28-2011, 07:18 PM

You want Nuke power fine but be able to insure your home or better yet build these things away from peoples homes.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:31 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,289,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supe View Post
They have, and what the media hasn't publicized much is the fact that a number of American companies are in fact over there assisting......This is not a Chernobyl type situation, but our media will do anything in it's power to glorify it as such. ....
Actually until yesterday has TEPCO refused both French and American technical help and has been unresponsive to the requests it did answer when asked about the danger the foreign workers would be put in.

In regards to Chernobyl of course you don't know this because the extent of the damage in these reactors isn't known, and hasn't being reported. I think the media, at least here in the USA, has been completely schizo in it's reporting as they swing back from claiming it's fine, to talking about the dangers of radiation here in the USA from it. The point being is that for this disaster to be on it's 3rd week, and nobody can't yet give any relevant details on the extent of the disaster is scary at best. Even the secretive Soviets did better than this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte