Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 05:18 AM

16 posts, read 13,581 times

Advertisements

Hello all! This is my first forum post. Just had a friend tell me about the site.

I'm a "mature" adult with business and remodeling experience. I'm strongly (93.7%??) committed to moving to Charlotte. I'd like to find a place to live that "fits" me.

I have the ability to perform many handyman skills, and would love to find someone that needs a place fixed up in trade for some rent, or something like this.

I know little/nothing about the area, so at this point have no way to know where to start. A Craig's ad has lead to nothing.

Any all help/advice will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 07:22 AM

2,947 posts, read 7,026,875 times
Having little to no experience with Charlotte, what is put this city on your radar?

Old 03-18-2011, 09:17 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,818,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToMotorcycle View Post
Hello all! This is my first forum post. Just had a friend tell me about the site.

I'm a "mature" adult with business and remodeling experience. I'm strongly (93.7%??) committed to moving to Charlotte. I'd like to find a place to live that "fits" me.

I have the ability to perform many handyman skills, and would love to find someone that needs a place fixed up in trade for some rent, or something like this.

I know little/nothing about the area, so at this point have no way to know where to start. A Craig's ad has lead to nothing.

Any all help/advice will be greatly appreciated!

Though Charlotte is a larger city than it has ever been, it's still small town enough that some of the best jobs are only gotten by word of mouth. It really can come down to who you know and who will vouch for you. I'm sure this is true in many places though.

Do you have any friends here to help you in that way?

If not, it can be extremely risky to come to Charlotte without a job, unless of course you have about 8-12 months living expenses saved up.

And until you visit and spend more time in Charlotte you really won't know what "fits" you. My suggestion is to start planning a series of visits over the next year.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:07 PM

Chance: I have several friends that have relocated there and love it.
LM: Great advice. Unfortunately, I have about 5 weeks.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:30 PM

110 posts, read 316,538 times
where are you moving from?
Charlotte unemployment is above 10%, but if you do have a job, Charlotte is a great place to live.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:08 PM

holy cow: charlotte area unemployment rate hits 11.1%.

I will never sell my house!!!

Old 03-19-2011, 04:44 AM

ysbelman-
NEOhio, where partly gloomy is a common weather forecast. :-(
I have several small businesses that I hope will transfer well if marketed correctly. My biggest issue is finding inexpensive living arrangements. While I'd hate to, being a server at a great restaurant right now would give me SOME regular income. Just need to start over.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:23 AM

Charlotte cost of living index is low. Compared to Cleveland it's nearly identical, according to salary.com. Arguably you will get a better weather forecast in Charlotte. And now that i am in Boston area, I appreciate Charlotte climate that much more.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:12 PM

531 posts, read 1,080,613 times
I would suggest coming over and staying for fews weeks will help you; try craigslist repeatedly. Concord/harrisburg/kannapolis might be a fit for you - small places and if you have good biz model, then it would click.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:16 PM

ysbelman: "Arguably you will get a better weather forecast in Charlotte". ummm. NO argument!! Not even a contest! :-)

feng21: What I do is hard to explain and I really am trying to narrow my focus. Worthy of private conversation to keep this from getting commercialized. Suffice to say that maybe next weekend I plan to come visit and do some prospecting. Probably be there 4/5 days, would love to connect with folks. I'm so new to this forum. Trying to figure it out. How does one connect to met?

-LTM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte