Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 07:46 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,205,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
Whether it is a law or not, any good parent would still have their child wear a life jacket. A car crash and a child falling overboard could have very different results. A boat doesn't have to be moving for an accident to occur.
Plus there can be alcohol on board that would slow down everyone's ability to save a child overboard.

I take it you don't have young kids?
well it'd be an incorrect assumption.

yes, I have a small child. one of the first things I taught her was how to swim. I wouldn't have any qualms with letting her walk docks without a life preserver (I'm also teaching her how to spell). At four years old, she is a capable swimmer.

Plus, I don't believe that safety equipment can replace a parent's watchful eye. And there is NO WAY in hades that my daughter is within a stone's throw of water without being watched like a hawk.

I find your criteria for judging "good parents" to be completely laughable.

where do you nannies draw your subjective line between good and bad parents? you say "A boat doesn't have to be moving for an accident to occur. " Well a car has to move to get to the marina (or to school, or the grocery store) doesn't it?

You say "there can be alcohol on board that would slow down everyone's ability to save a child overboard". Sure, there can be. There can be alcohol just about anywhere at anytime. slapping a life jacket on a child is not the magical solution to "right" parenting. y'all shouldn't be so damn quick to judge when you really have *no* idea.

Last edited by Native_Son; 03-21-2011 at 07:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 08:21 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,995,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
I find your criteria for judging "good parents" to be completely laughable.

where do you nannies draw your subjective line between good and bad parents? you say "A boat doesn't have to be moving for an accident to occur. " Well a car has to move to get to the marina (or to school, or the grocery store) doesn't it?

You say "there can be alcohol on board that would slow down everyone's ability to save a child overboard". Sure, there can be. There can be alcohol just about anywhere at anytime. slapping a life jacket on a child is not the magical solution to "right" parenting. y'all shouldn't be so damn quick to judge when you really have *no* idea.
I guess people can't walk, or ride a bike to the marina?

Yeah, like I think the only thing that makes a good parent is having their kid wear a life jacket. Stop generalizing things.

So you think your 4 year old can swim? Sure, maybe in a pool. But put here is the choppy waters of Lake Norman and see how good she does. How about a boating accident? You think she would be able to tread water long enough for an injured person to swim after her?

Go ahead and search for drownings on Lake Norman, here's one for ya. People on the boat couldn't save these 2 kids because of the choppy waters. And they were older than 4.
Rescuers find 2 boys who drowned at Lake Norman - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC-

And you need to learn exactly what a Nanny state is, which is passing laws to protect people from doing stupid things.

And a lot of people that would never drink and drive a car wouldn't think it is such a bad thing to have a few beers on a boat.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:42 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,205,593 times
Quote:
I guess people can't walk, or ride a bike to the marina?
mmkay. are you being obtuse on purpose?

Quote:
Yeah, like I think the only thing that makes a good parent is having their kid wear a life jacket. Stop generalizing things.
you said, and I quote: "any good paorent would still have their child wear a life jacket"

now tell me captain obvious, who is generalizing?

Quote:
So you think your 4 year old can swim? Sure, maybe in a pool. But put here is the choppy waters of Lake Norman and see how good she does. How about a boating accident? You think she would be able to tread water long enough for an injured person to swim after her?

Go ahead and search for drownings on Lake Norman, here's one for ya. People on the boat couldn't save these 2 kids because of the choppy waters. And they were older than 4.
Rescuers find 2 boys who drowned at Lake Norman - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC- (http://www.wbtv.cobvhm/global/story.asp?s=12829971 - broken link)

I have been around water my entire life. I was a lifeguard at Myrtle Beach. I'm an avid whitewater boater, surfer, wakeboarder and SWIMMER. I know more about water safety than you'll ever sniff, so why don't you let ME worry about the capabilities and safety of my daughter? My daughter was swimming in the surf with her father by age three, and if she's anywhere near water then I can dadgum guarantee you that I am supremely confident that she is in safe and capable care.

maybe you are scared of water. maybe you can't hold your breath for 15 seconds. maybe you had some tragedy in your past that impedes you. that's your business. don't make it mine with your assumptions.

Quote:
And you need to learn exactly what a Nanny state is, which is passing laws to protect people from doing stupid things.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 03-21-2011 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: flaming
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte