Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 12:14 AM

30 posts, read 64,306 times

Advertisements

I've searched a little, and found some older posts on this subject, but with all of the revitalization of neighborhoods going on everywhere, what was good 3 years ago, may not be now, etc.
So, what is a good part of Charlotte to move to? My girlfriend and I are moving there next month. We've both wanted to get out of Ohio for quite some time, and now we're in a position to do that.
We're looking for a place to rent a house or apartment. Demographically speaking, we're both white, I'm in my early 30's, she's in her 20's. We have one child together.
I don't have a definite job nailed down, but we've been saving, and have account balances that will cover normal expenses for about 14 months. Less, if anything catastrophic happens, but assuming things go smoothly, I hope it takes nowhere near that long to find a job. I'd rather find a desireable area to live in, and then find a job based on where I live, rather than find a job based on where I work.

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 05:35 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,554,596 times
Dude-
I love it here and can recommend areas to live, but the lack of jobs or new jobs
available here is going to be a big challenge for you during this economic crisis.

Still coming anyway ...
You should look at South Charlotte areas like Southpark, Ballantyne etc. (safest parts of town)
or Cities like Matthews, Concord, Mint Hill, Waxhaw, FT Mill SC.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:03 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,729,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofohio View Post
I've searched a little, and found some older posts on this subject, but with all of the revitalization of neighborhoods going on everywhere, what was good 3 years ago, may not be now, etc.
So, what is a good part of Charlotte to move to? My girlfriend and I are moving there next month. We've both wanted to get out of Ohio for quite some time, and now we're in a position to do that.
We're looking for a place to rent a house or apartment. Demographically speaking, we're both white, I'm in my early 30's, she's in her 20's. We have one child together.
I don't have a definite job nailed down, but we've been saving, and have account balances that will cover normal expenses for about 14 months. Less, if anything catastrophic happens, but assuming things go smoothly, I hope it takes nowhere near that long to find a job. I'd rather find a desireable area to live in, and then find a job based on where I live, rather than find a job based on where I work.

Thanks for the help.
What kind of work will you be looking for. That could have a bearing on where you should live.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:27 AM

5 posts, read 6,418 times
The person who started this thread is almost in the exact same situation I am in. I will be moving down with savings with my girlfriend in about two months and will be looking for a good, safe part of town to live in. We are thinking about the northlake mall, motor speedway area in the north east. How is that area?
Neither of us have jobs yet, but are confident we will get something after we move, how realistic is this plan?

Old 03-22-2011, 09:36 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,665,776 times
If I had no specific need for a particular location, I'd just go for an uptown apartment, something with easy access to I-77 and/or I-277. That would at least allow you to have a good central location, and you could spend a lot of your off-time uptown and not have to drive as much.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:41 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,806,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junks View Post
The person who started this thread is almost in the exact same situation I am in. I will be moving down with savings with my girlfriend in about two months and will be looking for a good, safe part of town to live in. We are thinking about the northlake mall, motor speedway area in the north east. How is that area?
Neither of us have jobs yet, but are confident we will get something after we move, how realistic is this plan?

Not very

Old 03-22-2011, 09:42 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,729,034 times
Quote:
Again, what kind of work will you be looking for? That would have a bearing on where to live & if your plan puts you in jeopardy of failing to find something.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofohio View Post

Thanks for the help.
What you have in your favor is that 14 months worth of living expenses saved up. But what you are attempting does put your family at risk, just so you know. It may take as long as a year to find a job.

You don't mention a price range for housing. We cannot help you by recommending places until you tell us how much you want to spend

Old 03-22-2011, 09:48 AM

5 posts, read 6,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Again, what kind of work will you be looking for? That would have a bearing on where to live & if your plan puts you in jeopardy of failing to find something.

I have lots of savings and money coming in from other investments. I would be willing to do restaurant work or whatever until I find something a little more permanent. Same with my girlfriend. She might do some retail until we get better jobs.
How good of an area is the northeastern part of charlotte? I know the southern south park area is nice but we are finding great housing prices in the north eastern part for rentals. Out near 24, the harris boulevard.

Edit: I have a degree in Computer Networking

Old 03-22-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
I have lots of savings and money coming in from other investments. I would be willing to do restaurant work or whatever until I find something a little more permanent. Same with my girlfriend. She might do some retail until we get better jobs.
How good of an area is the northeastern part of charlotte? I know the southern south park area is nice but we are finding great housing prices in the north eastern part for rentals. Out near 24, the harris boulevard.

Edit: I have a degree in Computer Networking
Glad you are coming with savings too, you will likely need it.

Check out Auston Woods not far from Northlake. People recommend it frequently and is in a safe pocket.

You want to avoid Harris Blvd nearer the University area, and especially anything south of Harris between I85 and The Plaza, especially near the 29/49 split.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte